Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
are you serious? You don't think Houston has the infrastructure to house 500K more people?? I want some of whatever it is you PV guys smoke
kdogg is at Texas A&M. They have the good stuff over there, compared to the PV dirt stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
kdogg is at Texas A&M. They have the good stuff over there, compared to the PV dirt stuff.
ah, my bad. College Station is a bit further out but based on the BS I am hearing it seems the extra miles would be worth it.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:58 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Historical trends have shown Chicago population fluctuates goes up and goes down and than back up again. Houston may not grow forever and at this present time doesn't have the infrastrucutre to support 2.7 million residents within city limits like Chicago.
Kdogg, I disagree! I believe Houston has the infrastrucutre to support 2.7 million people. If they don't they can build it. Houston doesn't have 579 si mi of land for nothing.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Kdogg, I disagree! I believe Houston has the infrastrucutre to support 2.7 million people. If they don't they can build it. Houston doesn't have 579 si mi of land for nothing.
Exactly, more sprawl developments and worse traffic. I already hate driving here, it'll be even worse. Those rail lines won't do much I fear.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
a lot of which is undeveloped. I never under stand why they are stuck on infrastructure? If you need more infrastructure and you are already built out well then tear down existing ones and build new ones. But that is a really stupid comment to begin with talking about Houston. One look at the city and room for infrastructure should be the last thing coming from your mouth. Basically 75% of the city is undeveloped or under developed.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM

209 posts, read 523,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm no expert but I disagree. Currently, I don't think Houston has the infrastructure for 1 million more people. It has the room, but traffic as it is is horrible, those people will make it worse and the city isn't building anymore freeways, and the rail isn't expanded enough and from what I know, is facing a hard time trying to expand.
I should probably rephrase this.

it is moving in a direction where it will be able to support and additional 1 million people.

With the improvements in the metro system, and the move to expand the Rail system. owning a car inside the loop will become less needed, urban density is coming to that region. Especially in the eastern wards and south side of town. Right now, the ground work for the North line, east line, and university line are in progress. finish dates should be around 2013-2014.

Also current moves to replicate US 59 (eastex) are underway by txdot in some of your outer lining regions. The Tollway expansion of the northern portion of the beltway, is also going to greatly divert many long detour that clog I-10 and 90.. Similar moves in the planning stages.

Can we house an additional 1 million people...i believe we can. of course if 1 million people were to move to Houston tomorrow, then obviously not.

But the movement to expand the infrastructure is there. No city on the planet is capable of accommodating 1 million people in one massive swoop.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
a lot of which is undeveloped. I never under stand why they are stuck on infrastructure? If you need more infrastructure and you are already built out well then tear down existing ones and build new ones. But that is a really stupid comment to begin with talking about Houston. One look at the city and room for infrastructure should be the last thing coming from your mouth. Basically 75% of the city is undeveloped or under developed.
Sorry, but I don't understand.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:39 PM

209 posts, read 523,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Exactly, more sprawl developments and worse traffic. I already hate driving here, it'll be even worse. Those rail lines won't do much I fear.
Yes they will. I think you underestimate how badly the inner loop needs and wants those rail lines.

building a system of 25-35 miles worth of rail line is going to have a drastic impact on traffic. The greater question is what would we do if we didn't make this move? It will feel about the same, but we are going to make a significant jump in ridership from the 35-40K daily ridership we get now...on a 7 mile stretch... to about a 150-200k ridership when its complete.

add in possible commuter rails...and we can add an additional million to our current city populace without having that big a dramatic affect on traffic infrastructure.

lord knows we have the land to build additional homes, both single and multiple housing units.

in all honest though....i don't want Houston to get any larger then say 3.5 million. The metro can handle the massive growth, but to centralize anymore then that is going to be tough. 5-6 million in Harris is going to be insane.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
This should help you guys out. Houston does not have the infrastructure now, but the plan is definitely there once the people start arriving: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/mobility/MTFPMap/MTFP_Map10.pdf (broken link)
wow, looking at that map tells me it will me take a whole lot of people to get Houston to run out of space

Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't understand.
I was speaking to the people talking about lack of infrastructure. If they look at Houston the lack of infrastructure should be the last thing coming from their mouths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City