Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:24 PM

151 posts, read 169,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why would rich people own real estate in urban centers "out of necessity"? That makes no sense.

They obviously prefer to be in urban centers, or the most expensive real estate wouldn't be in these city centers. No one has to live anywhere. There is nothing forcing anyone to live in such places.

Issues like vibrancy, culture, diversity, and tons of things to do? Lots of people prefer the opera and great restaurants and live music over watching Jerry Springer, visiting the nearest WalMart and watching the grass grow.
People go where the jobs are. Many only live in cities out of necessity for work. Most people don't retire to the city. They only live there for work, or if they are poor and economically unable to escape.

If vibrancy was so important, then your bland suburbs wouldn't exist. Growth in sprawling suburbs and either less growth or even loss in inner city cores over the past decades indicate that cost of living, good safe neighborhoods, and good schools are far more important to most people than vibrancy, diversity, and culture. Like previously stated, besides anecdotal accounts here and there, that describes the last 50 years of American city growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 10:31 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Yes, Houston and other Southwestern cities are rapidly growing. Phoenix will also overtake Philadelphia.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo fan View Post
People go where the jobs are. Many only live in cities out of necessity for work. Most people don't retire to the city. They only live there for work, or if they are poor and economically unable to escape.
What are you talking about? All U.S. metro areas, even NYC, are primarily suburban in nature. There is not one person living in an urban environment who absolutely has to live there. Some rich dude living in Manhattan could very easily live in sprawly suburbia if he chose to do so.
Quote:
If vibrancy was so important, then your bland suburbs wouldn't exist.
Generally speaking, people living in tract home suburbia do so because it's cheap. It isn't because that's what people want.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:44 PM

That's kind of what I am saying NOLA, most cities are suburban in nature. The factors of Cost of living, good neighborhoods, and good schools have proven to be far more important in the growth of American cities than vibrancy, culture, and diversity. People may like the latter three, but not enough to overpower the former. To say a city like Houston can't be a city because it does not meet your narrow definition of a city is puzzling. I think that is the great fallacy on city-data forums is what people use to judge cities here actually goes very little into most American's decision making process. Otherwise the sprawling suburbs that are are an anathema on here wouldn't exist at all, yet they are where most people are actually trying to live.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:51 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
That's kind of what I am saying NOLA, most cities are suburban in nature.
Actually, no, that has nothing to do with what you were previously claiming. You seem to be arguing with yourself. You previously claimed that rich people only preferred urban areas because they were forced to live there.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Actually, no, that has nothing to do with what you were previously claiming. You seem to be arguing with yourself. You previously claimed that rich people only preferred urban areas because they were forced to live there.
They have places there out of necessity for where they work. Most rich people that i know have more than one property, and they only use the one in the city because that is near where they work (be it downstream or midstream)

Most people who only have one property choose to have it in a more suburban setting.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:45 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,381 times
Yes & very soon unfortunately.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:10 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Yes & very soon unfortunately.
I doubt the very soon part.

My answer would be Houston City May pass Chicago City in a decade or two.

But I am confident in a city revival of Chicago. I just see it as a well rounded municipality that has all the bones to build itself back up.

I am not going to lie, I like Houston more, but I think that Chicago is a better built city and it's economy has great stability.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:39 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I doubt the very soon part.

My answer would be Houston City May pass Chicago City in a decade or two.
But I am confident in a city revival of Chicago. I just see it as a well rounded municipality that has all the bones to build itself back up.
I am not going to lie, I like Houston more, but I think that Chicago is a better built city and it's economy has great stability.
THAT'S IT ! What MOST who fault Houston. Chicago is a example of a BETTER BUILT CITY with planning and standard building requirements for over 100 years. A Street grid originally adopted from Philly's ORIGINAL PLANS. But improved with wider streets, added Boulevards and Full alleyway system continued. Philly allowed developers and investors to sub-divide theirs and make alleys for adding more tight Row Homes.

It isn't that Houston's not a great City..... it is IT POORLY PLANNED for most of its history, it thought to give developers and builders FREE ENTERPRISE to build whatever could be sold? With LITTLE CITY PLANNING and even the city FAILING to do its part and making sure a standard STREET building plan would follow all new building. Even with standard sidewalks built for a Modern 1st class city.

Houston's Downtown is far from the Shoreline and Houston neglected to develop a great asset. Though much is lined with nice homes. Galveston has the good beaches and Pier nearby.

Chicago's downtown IS Along its Lakeshore and its waters are BLUE/Green hues. Much of its shores are manmade and planned over decades. Adding parks and beaches also have to be maintained as needed.

^^Along the Chicago River downtown on the way to its Lock System into Lake Michigan.^

^^Chicago's "Near North" mostly Residential and "Gold Coast" in the distance up the coast. ^^

CHECK OUT THIS NICE VIDEO from plane landing at O'Hare. Going up the city's North of Downtown shoreline.
Many planes coming in from the East fly up the shore like the video and turn inland near Wrigley Field.
The camera person gives the ballpark a QUICK TILT of his camera.

• ----------- On the video. You do get a bit of the scale of Downtown's buildings.
  • ----------- with most of the buildings actually Residential. Then up the Shore.
  • ----------- as the main business area is in the farthest areas from the camera.
  • ----------- PLENTY OF TREES IN ALL NEIGHBORHOODS and garages seen too.
  • ----------- with a LINEAR STREET GRID with plenty or trees in the Video seen.
https://youtu.be/4wWxHPOlERI?t=26 . Here in HD quality Full Screen if desired.

Chicago's "OAK ST BEACH" DOWNTOWN. Palm trees were only planted 1 year 2011. For its Olympic try.
There is fishing also along some of its shore and in Lake Michigan. Most surely say it looks like a ocean.
But sadly only for a few months.

Even cities like PARIS, BERLIN and FRANKFURT ARE HAVE BEEN LOSING POPULATION. NO ONE CALLS THEM IN DECLINE. MOST OF WHAT THE ...ALREADY.. HAVE BUILT. IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE.
CHICAGO continues to IMPROVE itself and restore.... WHAT IT ALREADY HAS.... New INFILL and restoration and building UP continues.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

THAT'S IT ! What MOST who fault Houston. Chicago is a example of a BETTER BUILT CITY with planning and standard building requirements for over 100 years. A Street grid originally adopted from Philly's ORIGINAL PLANS. But improved with wider streets, added Boulevards and Full alleyway system continued. Philly allowed developers and investors to sub-divide theirs and make alleys for adding more tight Row Homes.

It isn't that Houston's not a great City..... it is IT POORLY PLANNED for most of its history, it thought to give developers and builders FREE ENTERPRISE to build whatever could be sold? With LITTLE CITY PLANNING and even the city FAILING to do its part and making sure a standard STREET building plan would follow all new building. Even with standard sidewalks built for a Modern 1st class city.

Houston's Downtown is far from the Shoreline and Houston neglected to develop a great asset. Though much is lined with nice homes. Galveston has the good beaches and Pier nearby.

Chicago's downtown IS Along its Lakeshore and its waters are BLUE/Green hues. Much of its shores are manmade and planned over decades. Adding parks and beaches also have to be maintained as needed.
uhh.. all of that is pretty simply explained by a few things.

Houston doesn't have zoning. Chicago does..
Houston's shoreline faces potential hurricane threats on an annual basis. Chicago's doesn't..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City