Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
If the entire Greenland ice sheet melts only 2 or 3 of the top 20 global ports would remain, including Houston. I'm not saying Houstonians should hope for that, but the upside can't be ignored . . .
It isn't like cities aren't going to adapt. Netherlands is mostly below sea level, and Rotterdam (second biggest port on earth) is like 60 ft. below sea level.

When sea levels rise, coastal cities will have to spend megabillions in infrastructire, but they'll be fine.

Last edited by mjlo; 06-16-2017 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: You need to resist interjecting your intense feelings about politics into everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 12:00 AM

8 posts, read 6,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
Houston is 50+ feet above sea level. Houston will be dry long after Miami and New Orleans have completely disappeared under the ocean. In a sick sort of way, you could argue Houston would benefit from rising sea levels because it would wipe out a lot of competing port cities.
Houston is miles from the Coasts itself, I don't know who exactly would think sea level risings would significantly hurt Houston.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:21 AM

9,677 posts, read 9,373,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreChunes View Post
Houston is miles from the Coasts itself, I don't know who exactly would think sea level risings would significantly hurt Houston.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.houst...e-11181128.php

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...n-texas-coast/

As sea levels rise, where will all the people go? | Popular Science

Effect of Sea Level Rise and Groundwater Withdrawal on Seawater Intrusion in the Gulf Coast Aquifer: Implications for Agriculture

Old 06-17-2017, 04:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,299,655 times
None of which applies to Houston itself; only those areas of the metro that are on the immediate shoreline (i.e. Galveston, the areas of the bay, etc).

Old 06-17-2017, 07:26 PM

59 posts, read 68,301 times
Answer.com

Is Houston a coastal city?

answer,

Yes, It is near Galveston Bay and it is a major port city.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:09 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,299,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugo1978 View Post
Answer.com

Is Houston a coastal city?

answer,

Yes, It is near Galveston Bay and it is a major port city.
Houston is indeed a coastal city, by virtue of proximity. Same goes for DC, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:27 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Houston is indeed a coastal city, by virtue of proximity. Same goes for DC, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia.
WOW, I know Philly posters in threads vs other cities on bodies of water. Especially if their core were (like vs. Chicago)-- and they need something to replace it with as a boast and excuse of not being on a ocean or large lake. They bring up being only a hour to the New Jersey Shore by expressway. But NEVER do they boast ----> they are a Coastal city. They also have a Large port and ship building facilities. They ARE a River city, but they never boast the Delaware river with access to the Chesapeake Bay to the ocean.

Last edited by DavePa; 06-17-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 05:36 AM

9,677 posts, read 9,373,219 times
Quote:
None of which applies to Houston itself; only those areas of the metro that are on the immediate shoreline (i.e. Galveston, the areas of the bay, etc).
Yeah, I am certain mother nature will stop her actions at the city limits. In fact, the people in the metro area get what they deserve for staying. Climate change, sea level risings, etc. are science fiction.

Climate disaster maps shows Texas is clearly the most apocalyptic state in the nation - Houston Chronicle

Houston's Memorial Day Flood 2 years later

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...hange-disaster

Old 06-18-2017, 10:14 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
I'd hardly put DC in the same boat as these three when it comes to being a coastal city.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
WOW, I know Philly posters in threads vs other cities on bodies of water. Especially if their core were (like vs. Chicago)-- and they need something to replace it with as a boast and excuse of not being on a ocean or large lake. They bring up being only a hour to the New Jersey Shore by expressway. But NEVER do they boast ----> they are a Coastal city. They also have a Large port and ship building facilities. They ARE a River city, but they never boast the Delaware river with access to the Chesapeake Bay to the ocean.
Oh My F****n Gd! Let Philly be mentioned in a thread about anything....& here you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City