Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 PM

16 posts, read 32,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Nobody pays attention to CME/CBoT when talking about commodity prices. (It's actually NYMEX.) What up-and-coming financial center? The financial crisis is focused on New York and not a peep is heard from Chicago. How about the banks? BoA is integrating LaSalle the day after tomorrow and most of the banking activity (outside NYC) is located in Charlotte.

LA? LA has greater economic activity than Chicago. It accounts for half of California's output. The Port of LA/Long Beach is a serious competitor to the Port of Houston. Does Chicago have a port or is the lake merely ornamental? Illinois' output surely doesn't outmatch California especially with one city doing all the work.
^ As my second response to this baseless, completely anecdotal and media-driven misconception of how important Chicago is economically, I invite you to browse each of these links:

Regarding Chicago's growing role as a global financial powerhouse and how the Wall St crisis is actually benefitting it (I can also provide links to more detailed articles related to derivatives at your request):

FT.com - Chicago's star on the rise

Chicago: New Financial Capital of the World -- Or Ground Zero for the Next Economic Meltdown?

In finance jobs, New York's loss is Chicago's gain -- chicagotribune.com

THe next 3 are reputable sources that study global economic financial centers. In all three Chicago ranks quite highly, among the top 10 (in the top 5 in 2 of them) in the globe, easily beating out LA in all of them. LA doesn't make the cut in 2 of these studies, and Houston is nowhere even remotely close (btw, I'm happy to inundate you with more links at your request):

MasterCard Worldwide Centers of Commerce Indexâ„¢*| MasterCard

World's Most Economically Powerful Cities - Forbes.com

Global Financial Centres Index (GFCI) (http://www.zyen.com/Activities/On-line%20surveys/GFCI.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
The city of Houston and the Woodlands have reached a temporary agreement last year, in which the Woodlands pay some kind of "tax" to the city of Houston. However the next mayor of Houston will have to seriously consider the permanent annexation of the Woodlands.
I also seem to remember that the agreement was reached so The Woodlands could become its own city. They pay portion of retail? sales tax to Houston and Houston in turn says OK, become your own town we won't annex you. Any locals to verify this?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Just google it......

"In the middle part of the 2000s decade, some in The Woodlands feared annexation by the city of Houston, as had happened to the Kingwood development some years before. To counteract any possible move by the city, a movement began to create an independent city government. However, the formation of an independent government by The Woodlands would require authorization by the State of Texas and the City of Houston, as Houston held extraterritorial jurisdiction over the area.[citation needed]

In 2007, two state legislators representing Woodlands voters, Sen. Tommy Williams and Rep. Robert Eissler, created and passed two bills in the 2007 Legislature - House Bill 4109 [11] and Senate Bill 1012 [12]. HB 4109 called for a vote to allow expansion of an existing improvement district (now the Woodlands Township) and to allow The Woodlands to collect sales tax [13], while SB 1012 allowed for the creation of regional agreements between governments. The passage of these bills allowed an opportunity for The Woodlands to incorporate itself.

To make the City of Houston agree to release the Woodlands from its ETJ, the city and the development entered into a regional agreement where The Woodlands put 16 million dollars [14] into a fund the city of Houston can use for general improvements. In return, Houston will release the development from its ETJ allowing The Woodlands to incorporate through an election in 2014 and create a city government. [15]

In addition, The Woodlands entered into a similar regional agreement with Conroe to avoid annexation of a municipal utility district inside The Woodlands. [16] The Woodlands put $320,000 into a fund to serve mutual interests. In return, Conroe ended annexation proceedings and will release the district to The Woodlands in 2014."

Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
To all you Houstonians there is another city south that quiety as it is kept is gaining on you as far as population. That city is Atlanta.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM

160 posts, read 518,057 times
Back to the original Q, Good Lord, I hope not....yikes!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
To all you Houstonians there is another city south that quiety as it is kept is gaining on you as far as population. That city is Atlanta.
Houston 2.3 million people
Atlanta 515,000 people

Yes...very quietly. BTW, I posted those because we are talking about city populations anyway.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times
Houston will never be Chicago, in any way shape or form, so whoever keeps making these threads like "Will [insert Texas location here] ever surpass [insert a cooler, better location here] in population?" just shut up already. Nobody cares.... seriously.

If Houston ever does pass Chicago it'll only be so full of illegals that every self-righteous Texan that previously lived there would overdose on pain killers before continuing to stay there. It's nothing you Texan natives should be excited about, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I never had a problem with Texas until I saw these stupid, boasty threads.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:56 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Houston will never be Chicago, in any way shape or form, so whoever keeps making these threads like "Will [insert Texas location here] ever surpass [insert a cooler, better location here] in population?" just shut up already. Nobody cares.... seriously.

If Houston ever does pass Chicago it'll only be so full of illegals that every self-righteous Texan that previously lived there would overdose on pain killers before continuing to stay there. It's nothing you Texan natives should be excited about, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I never had a problem with Texas until I saw these stupid, boasty threads.
Most people didn't have a problem with you until you opened your mouth and released ignorance

Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Haha, the little thread that could.....I don't think this thing will ever go away.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
We now know Chicago has a crime problem after Jennifer Hudson's family was murdered. That's not good news for Mayor Daley since now most people (who actually knew her from American Idol) may not want to move there in light of the publicity (too bad she was on American Idol) like the crime statistics flashed in yellow on the CBS Evening News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City