Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm not trying to be rude but this post isn't coherent enough to formulate a meaningful response. Say what??
Lol, I'm just kidding around man, I felt this thread was getting too serious that's all.

But seriously though, I think the OP meant city proper population. Because Houston right now has to worry about Philly's Metro and then Dallas's Metro and then only can they even turn their attention to Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
Do you people think Houston will surpass chicago has the third largest by 2010 or 2020?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Along with responding to anyone else so long as it gave you the opportunity to say basically the same thing over and over. We get it already. Find another drum to beat on for a while.
So, who made you the forum police chief? I can respond and post to who I want. We all are repeating the same thing. It's called a debate/argument. Ever heard of those?

And you're right OmShahi, the OP meant city populations, but you know how City-Data threads go. Rarely do we get to even the third page of a thread without it being a completely different topic.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude but this post isn't coherent enough to formulate a meaningful response. Say what??
haha I wish I could +1

I would give Scarface credit just for his sheer determination, but he assumes he's right. Cities have come and gone within this country. Las Vegas and Phoenix are prime examples of this. Just because Houston's had an amazing past few decades, doesn't mean it will always be.

This is honestly the only time that I'd ever say there is a true inferiority complex. Sunbelt boosters probably account for 99% of the "drama" that goes on here...

Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
haha I wish I could +1

I would give Scarface credit just for his sheer determination, but he assumes he's right. Cities have come and gone within this country. Las Vegas and Phoenix are prime examples of this. Just because Houston's had an amazing past few decades, doesn't mean it will always be.

This is honestly the only time that I'd ever say there is a true inferiority complex. Sunbelt boosters probably account for 99% of the "drama" that goes on here...
Lol, drama..

Las Vegas and Phoenix aren't good examples though, they did not have a diverse economy. Both cities experienced influx of Californian residents and built way more homes than demand accounted for, thus their housing market crashed because those homes were on loans. Those two cities got way to ahead of themselves, especially when it came to adjusting to the new residents from the state next door. In Texas, you have to secure a good down payment and show proof of your salary to even get a loan for a house, and I know not all states are like that, most are, but some out west aren't especially Nevada.

Sadly I hate to say it, but Houston is pretty conservative on spending, it renovates old locations like warehouses in downtown and makes them into luxurious lofts, before it sets out to build some... It's a gift and a curse... but in this case it's quite helpful.

Miami also overbuilt, look at what happened to it now.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
LOL

This thread is so awesome all of a sudden.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
haha I wish I could +1

I get what your saying drover.. Some people are persistant at trying to make people see there side of things. When one doesn't agree the poster usually post the same thing over and over till they start becoming repetitve with the same statement or arguement.. Anything involving Houston Scarface is usually persistant... He just very certain that Houston will pass Chicago and that Chicago is going to decline and never have a chance at see phenomenal growth era.. Nothing ever is going to happen to Houston to cause it too decline...That's basically how he sees it... So really everyone is debating predictions that we don't how it's going to turn put in 40 years..the world may end in 2 years 5 years.. And Houston may never get that honor to take that title....

Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
What am I doing differently than you? You are posting in Chicago's defense, I'm posting in Houston's, but somehow it's me that has an inferiority complex?
Yes.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany63 View Post
I agree Dover , I thought it was just me. These people think they can stop people from making comments.
tiff
Yet, Dover is trying to make me stop posting?

And I'm glad you found this thread. Maybe your magnificent work from these threads:

Things I will and will not miss about the Houston area.

I did not like Houston!!!

Is there anything to do in Houston?

Family Moving to Houston - Pearland vs Sugarland vs Katy

Can come to light. You were roasted to death in those threads, too. Any thread with tiffany63 posting is bound to become entertaining. So, either Dover or Dncr gave you those rep points, because they don't know your history.

Quote:
Yes.
Goes both ways then.

Last edited by Trae713; 05-10-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Alright then, lets do this. Lets have an official Chicago-Houston debate, I mean that is what we're all here for.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I get what your saying drover.. Some people are persistant at trying to make people see there side of things. When one doesn't agree the poster usually post the same thing over and over till they start becoming repetitve with the same statement or arguement.. Anything involving Houston Scarface is usually persistant... He just very certain that Houston will pass Chicago and that Chicago is going to decline and never have a chance at see phenomenal growth era.. Nothing ever is going to happen to Houston to cause it too decline...That's basically how he sees it... So really everyone is debating predictions that we don't how it's going to turn put in 40 years..the world may end in 2 years 5 years.. And Houston may never get that honor to take that title....
Just like you guys are certain that Houston's won't pass Chicago and slow down considerably in growth. I have a different opinion. It goes both ways.

Quote:
So, who made you the forum police chief? I can respond and post to who I want. We all are repeating the same thing. It's called a debate/argument. Ever heard of those?
Well, you tried, I'll give you that.

At least you finally understand where I'm coming from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City