Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:51 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know many people that say the same. Not only will they not touch a city that has snow. They won't even consider a city if it routinely gets under 50 degrees.
Since NYC and Chicago are among the top 3 cities in the US, I guess those that won't "touch" a city that has snow, aren't that prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:08 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Since NYC and Chicago are among the top 3 cities in the US, I guess those that won't "touch" a city that has snow, aren't that prevalent.
I get where they are coming from though. I'm not a fan of winter weather myself either. I don't really hate snow; actually I think I just hate the cold. I kind of like snow, I just hate everything that comes along with it and winter in general.
If you wanna live in a place like NYC or Chicago, you're likely not choosing to live there for the weather but you just are willing to put up with it for the city. But if you wanna live in a regular small American suburban town, then I would probably be the same way about weather.

On the bright side for me: living in NYC in an apartment building without a car, at least I never have to actually shovel snow.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I get where they are coming from though. I'm not a fan of winter weather myself either. I don't really hate snow; actually I think I just hate the cold. I kind of like snow, I just hate everything that comes along with it and winter in general.
If you wanna live in a place like NYC or Chicago, you're likely not choosing to live there for the weather but you just are willing to put up with it for the city. But if you wanna live in a regular small American suburban town, then I would probably be the same way about weather.

On the bright side for me: living in NYC in an apartment building without a car, at least I never have to actually shovel snow.
People who don't live in the snow, like to play it up to be way worse than it is. I know, sometimes, we get dumped on. BUT, there are those on this thread who like to say that we have 6 months of winter...so not true. As I've said before, I lived in Chicago, and there were winters that we barely had any snow...at all. In fact, most winters, snow isn't an issue. When it is, it gets play all over the news, but when you have no snow in January, where is the coverage then? I don't care, though, as I like the crisp air.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Both of which are among the oldest cities in the Country. They have both been losing domestic population for years, and both continue to do so.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Both of which are among the oldest cities in the Country. They have both been losing domestic population for years, and both continue to do so.
Unfortunately you're correct. If it weren't for immigration, both would be posting yearly population losses.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Chicago lost a lot of their black population when they tore down housing projects. NYC is not losing population.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:10 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Chicago lost a lot of their black population when they tore down housing projects. NYC is not losing population.
He's correct; he's specifically talking about domestic out-migration. NYC, at least the region (not sure about city proper), keeps growing because of immigration.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...ntent=51601682

Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
NYC is losing tons of its domestic population (as is the entire Tri-State), and has been for years.

As Mutiny77 pointed out, immigration keeps things propped up. This no longer applies to Chicago though, their overall numbers are negative.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:17 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
The Black population decline in Chicago is mainly due to high violent crime in certain neighborhoods. The projects being tore down may had an effect on crime in some of the neighborhoods, but the really bad ones like Englewood and North Lawndale were already hell holes back in the early 90s when all of the projects were fully intact.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:17 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Corporate America steers us to move where they continue to expand and relocate.... the MOST. That is NO and Low Corporate Tax States like Texas (lure of mild winters too helps). Chicago at least has a Core Corporate America is expanding and still loves for its Offices and Prestige its Downtown has today. Manufacturing and any part at high risk of Unionization (even in professionals Unions like the Medical field)? Not so much is investing in Northern cities and states.

If the jobs grow much faster for Blue-Collar workers with lower-skills in these No Corporate Tax states. A much higher % of Northerners will feel compelled to leave. Leaving slow growth where they leave from. Add poverty and their neighborhoods plagued with gang-land crime loosing population on that too seeing losses ... growth in a city's core gets erased by losses elsewhere like Chicago's.

Midwest states and Northeast ones continue overall to lose population or stagnant (my state included). Until Corporate America looks more Northward again? That probably will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City