Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I've been to Chicago several times. The architecture in Chicago isn't any better than Houston's. Your posts are definitely biased. Chicago isn't any better than Houston. Both cities are about the same. The cheap, cheap housing is a good thing. You tell me who's smarter? Buying a house in Houston for x dollars or buying the same exact thing somewhere else for 3x dollars. I'd say the IQ in Houston is much higher than those places. So to recap Houston has much smarter people with blah architecture like Chicago's.
What you and a lot of people fail to understand is that when you purchase/rent a house/apartment/condo, you aren't paying purely for the cost of producing the home or the quality of it, you are also working against simple supply and demand, in other words paying for the exclusivity of living in an area with fewer vacancies and a large demand, and large demand is caused by things such as superior amenities, transportation, connections, and opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times
After 841 posts and 85 pages, I cannot believe this thread is still going.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Houston doesn't have that picture perfect weather either. Miserable hot and warm muggy weather due too its high humidity and has hurricanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Snowstorms are paradise right? Well, I guess that's why good weather is subjective.
How the hell can you possibly infer from his post that he believes snowstorms are paradise, unless you're just plain looking for an argument?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't believe he was saying Chicago has better weather, I think he was just pointing out Houston's weather isn't exactly perfect.
Yeah, but what's the point of that really, if neither one is perfect? I missed the part where it was in response to what At1withnature--I read his statement out of context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How the hell can you possibly infer from his post that he believes snowstorms are paradise, unless you're just plain looking for an argument?
I can infer what ever I want to. It's not really up to you to tell me "how the hell" to think. Just countering it bud. I admit I misread his post. Chill...literally.
Weather is not even really the topic of this thread---it's about population. Plain and simple, I don't think Houston is going to pass Chicago by 2020 but it definitely in the near future.

And you're right AZLiam...I have no idea how this thread is still going.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 04-22-2009 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So wait -- you're saying that you can get 3 times the house for the same amount of money in Houston?
That's exactly what I'm saying. I don't know what the breakdown is exactly in terms of cost of living between Houston and Chicago but I know the cost of living is higher in Chicago. I've been to just about all these so-called great places like Boston and Chicago, etc. None of these places are any better than Houston but the cost of living is a lot higher. After living in Houston for a while you see how much of a ripoff these places are.

I'm not saying these places are bad I just don't like the idea of paying a lot more for the same thing.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Chicago is the better city. But chicago is cold and the people are colder! Houston may be better, or not, in that regard.
I don't think Chicago is better. Like I said I think it's about the same as Houston. They're both big cities. They both have lots of bad weather. They both have bad parts of town. It's 6 one way and half a dozen the other.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying...
Cool. So I guess I'd have plenty of room to store the millions of dollars you'd have to pay me to live in Houston.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
It is comments like these that make people look down on your city so much (even if your trying to be sarcastic, because sarcasm on the Internet is not easy to pull off). It has no basis in this discussion, even in city vs. city.
Well I have to make comments like these because I get tired of everybody saying that Chicago is the greatest thing since sliced bread and Houston sucks. It's because of all the ridiculous comments in this thread that I needed to respond in the same form. If people will quit telling me the world is flat I won't make such comments. One thing that I said that is very true is Houstonians are getting way more bang for their buck than in places like Chicago (heaven according to a lot of people in here).

Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Houston doesn't have that picture perfect weather either. Miserable hot and warm muggy weather due too its high humidity and has hurricanes.
Yeah I agree both cities have lots of bad weather. Chicago has lots of cold and Houston has lots of hot. Pick your poison. That's why everybody moves to California so they can get that beautiful year round weather. The cost of living is so high they're living in a box but the weather is nice.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Chicago has "blah" architecture?! Seriously?! Chicago has arguably the greatest high-rise architecture in the world along with NYC and Hong Kong.

If Chicago has "blah" architecture, who has great architecture? Are your standards that far through the roof?
Yes Chicago has great architecture. So does Houston. The Williams Tower in Houston is nice 1920s architecture. Downtown Houston has plenty of good architecture. I said that Chicago has blah architecture because somebody in this blog was making ridiculous claims that Houston has blah architecture. I figured I would negate his ridiculous comments with my ridiculous comments.

By the way I've been to Hong Kong and their skyline blows Chicago's out of the water. Hong Kong has the best skyline in the world. It's even better than NYC's. You haven't seen a skyline until you have stood next to Victoria Harbor in Hong Kong at night. I love Hong Kong!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City