U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Scuba Diving/Snorkeling
Southern California 4 15.38%
Southern Florida 22 84.62%
Tie (explain) 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,137,379 times

Advertisements

Since there are too many "best beaches" comparisons I thought I would go off on a sub topic. This is more of just an excuse to see some awesome opinions and photos/videos repping both sides as they are both beautiful yet completely different underwater ecosystems. I've been to both and they both have some amazing things to offer so let's keep this civil and just revel in the beauty of our nations oceans.

Just to start off here are some videos displaying the diversity of both California and South Florida.

California's Channel Islands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwIJvmBOj7s

Florida's Hollywood Beach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS7YENyYaPY
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:03 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,340,136 times
As much as I love my newly adopted home of California, and as much as it blows Florida out of the water when it comes to variety of natural environments and scenery, I am going to have to go with South Florida on this one.

There are really only a few spots in Southern California where there isn't pounding surf where you can safely get in the water and even see well. Although those few spots are awesome. California has amazing tide pools, etc. However it simply too cold to support the growth of coral reefs. However the bright orange Garibaldi fish of SoCal are great.

but theres a reason why California is known for surfing. Good surfing conditions are the opposite of good SCUBA/snorkeling conditions. You can pretty much go anywhere in Florida Keys and snorkel and see stuff.

In the Florida Keys you can literally snorkel anywhere.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,829,329 times
Florida by far.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times
I love California, and while I've had a couple good times snorkeling at La Jolla Cove or Catalina--there isn't much comparison to what's available at the coral reefs of the Florida Keys... Warm, tropical seas are usually going to be a step above most of the Pacific Coast of the US for snorkeling or scuba. I've had a couple trips snorkeling off the Keys that were as good as anywhere I've been...sea turtles, sharks, hundreds of types of fish and so on...

Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 PM

I agree most people would prefer the tropical seas but I think something should be said for the large kelp forests of California. It's comparing apples and oranges really. I think snorkeling is by far way better in Florida but I prefer diving through vast underwater forests of kelp. It's like something from another planet seeing it flow with the tide, being able to witness sea lions doing acrobatic twirls around you, etc. I believe it's like comparing the tropical beaches of the Caribbean to the Redwood Forests of Northern CA. One is more comfortable and warm and pretty, while the other is grand and almost alien like.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
To be kind...both suck...you are arguing about which one sucks worse.

Florida for shallow stuff.

CA. for interesting stuff deeper.

Neither is remotely competitive against any reasonable dive spot.

They do rate well against Lake Mead...but that is about it.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM

^What's up your ass?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:56 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
To be kind...both suck...you are arguing about which one sucks worse.

Florida for shallow stuff.

CA. for interesting stuff deeper.

Neither is remotely competitive against any reasonable dive spot.

They do rate well against Lake Mead...but that is about it.
I don't know. Florida is well known for it's quality snorkeling spots. Is there anywhere else in the US better for snorkeling than these 2?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't know. Florida is well known for it's quality snorkeling spots. Is there anywhere else in the US better for snorkeling than these 2?
Well unless something has changed Hawaii is still in the US. There is no where in the 48 in the same class.

Mexico has some nice spots and there are other places in the Caribbean that meet or surpass Hawaii.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:17 AM

12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Would think easily south florida, water is not as clear or calm in socal for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City