U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: New England & The Maritimes
2,116 posts, read 4,070,663 times
Reputation: 1114

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Hey chief do you have anything worthwhile to add regarding this discussion Boston vs Philadlephia?If you do then lets hear it ,if not , I have to move.

You sound like you are itching for a fight which is music to my ears.I'm always looking for some keen repartee but you have to give me some something to work off of here,give me your thought process or some facts to back up your accusation.

Help me out here newb.

Do you have anything worthwhile to add?

I think the fight was picked when you started calling Boston racist and bigoted. A cliched and completely untrue reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,263,536 times
Reputation: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Do you have anything worthwhile to add?

I think the fight was picked when you started calling Boston racist and bigoted. A cliched and completely untrue reputation.
It's actually funny how true it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 03:08 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,311,540 times
Reputation: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Do you have anything worthwhile to add?

I think the fight was picked when you started calling Boston racist and bigoted. A cliched and completely untrue reputation.
Just like when people say Philadelphia is one big ghetto, that is also a cliched and untrue reputation. Philadelphia is a huge city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,311,540 times
Reputation: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
This reminds me of another post I read, months ago, commenting on these two cities. It might be somewhere earlier in this long-running thread, though I think it was another thread. Anyway, someone said something to the effect that Philadelphia was way down in the hole in a bunch of ways, and therefore was the better city because it had much more potential to improve itself.

Now, I happen to like Philly, but if you take that person's opinion of Philly, the logic of that nowhere-to-go-but-up point of view escapes me. Also, apologies if I'm misinterpreting what you say here, Sweetkisses. But if I've got your post right, I don't get it. And the other post I referred to was very clear about the idea that (according to the person posting) Philly was waaay down there, and therefore was better than the city it was compared to (also Boston), because being way down meant Philly had plenty of room to move up. Now, I don't get that logic at all. In most simple terms, that person was in effect saying that Philly was the better city because it was worse. Hmmm . . .
Let me clarify... when I said that Philly has no where to go but up, I was implying that Philadelphia is always been viewed as a mediocre, 2nd tier city whereas Boston has always (for the most part) had a great reputation. For Philadephians, seeing the investment that we are seeing in around Center city as well as other parts of the city is very exciting and it brings hope and renewed energy for longtime residents of philadelphia who have seen the city in its worst times.
Boston is overall a very nice city, but there is nothing to really improve IMO and that can be a bit boring. IMO its always nice to experience change in a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Dorchester
2,602 posts, read 4,217,691 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
It's actually funny how true it is.
How true is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,888 posts, read 12,209,014 times
Reputation: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Do you have anything worthwhile to add?

I think the fight was picked when you started calling Boston racist and bigoted. A cliched and completely untrue reputation.
Hold on now, backtrack just a bit further and you will see I did not pick this fight. I can never remember someone from Philadlephia starting a flame war here but Philadlephians will defend their city which is the case here. This is what started the latest ruckus.A hostile response was warranted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt
the overriding image of the much of the city(Philly) is one of poverty and squalor. North Philly, west Philly past UPenn are simply awful, and even South Philly won't win any awards, either. Block after block, mile after mile of dilapidated rowhouse neighborhoods, many boarded up, bombed out and otherwise just uninhabitable, many times worse than the Roxbury and Dorchester neighborhoods of Boston. Sorry, but this is reason enough for me to say "NO" to Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt
.....keep the squalor down there, then.

And you wonder why Philadelphia isn't a "destination" city
Everyone has the right to defend themeselves and their city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,263,536 times
Reputation: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
How true is it?
Truthfully true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 PM
 
1,694 posts, read 4,959,358 times
Reputation: 689
Boston,hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,263,536 times
Reputation: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Boston,hands down.
Philadelphia,hands up.

Am I doing it right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 PM
 
1,694 posts, read 4,959,358 times
Reputation: 689
If you want to throw your hands up be my guest haha
I much prefer Boston even though I like Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top