U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 AM

49 posts, read 135,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
*Yawns* Mine is bigger than yours.
I honestly don't care which city has the "bigger" skyline; though isn't it better to have a discussion that debates facts, and not conjecture? I simply corrected misinformation. You can go back to sleep now .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:52 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,021,543 times
I would say Boston because its safer and i think the location of Philadelphia is kind of a stinker.. near Camden for one thing is terrible, and being known as KILLadelphia, the way those 2 cities are right over the bridge frrom eachother is a bummer. I still think Philadelphia is a great city but i think Boston is what im leaning towards.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,256,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I would say Boston because its safer and i think the location of Philadelphia is kind of a stinker.. near Camden for one thing is terrible, and being known as KILLadelphia, the way those 2 cities are right over the bridge frrom eachother is a bummer. I still think Philadelphia is a great city but i think Boston is what im leaning towards.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 PM

7,336 posts, read 15,302,120 times
Love them both. I'm from the Boston area and obviously have a huge bias, but I can't sit here and say one's better than the other. We're lucky to have these two cities.

Also, skylines add next to nothing to a city except a nice vista from a distance. Many city's best neighborhoods are low-rise areas like the North End or (most of the) Back Bay in Boston or Greenwich Village and SoHo in New York City. It's the street scape and use that makes cities and neighborhoods great. If you need further proof, where's Washington D.C.'s skyline (aside from the monument, it's in Virginia)... how about Paris? Skyline's mean jack when it comes to the actual character of the city... I'm not going to (for the sake of not offending anyone), but I'm sure anyone can think of a city with a great skyline yet little substance to the actual city.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:40 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,307,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...
No offense but u live in Jersey. Nothing gets "stinkier" than that.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM

5,760 posts, read 13,323,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
I honestly don't care which city has the "bigger" skyline; though isn't it better to have a discussion that debates facts, and not conjecture? I simply corrected misinformation. You can go back to sleep now .
Didn't mean to come across as singling you out. Yours was just the latest post of the degeneration of this thread into the skyline debate. I see you're new on here. You'll find after a while that it gets old to see how many of these threads turn into bashing of each other's city, when there is the potential for some interesting insight into various cities that could make these threads interesting. And all too often the city-bashing debates get into skyline debates. Gets old when you've read a few of these.

And I agree with LRFox that skylines aren't the be-all/end-all of what makes a city. They do add something to a city's visual appeal, but more of what makes a city aesthetically pleasing in everyday life is found at street level. Along with LRF's examples of Washington and Paris I'll add London to the list of cities that are aesthetically pleasing without massive skylines.

Facts are fine, but so is subjectivity. A lot of what people like or dislike about a city has to do with the feel of the place. You can't pin it down with facts, but it's real.

So . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.:ee k:

*wakes up briefly to add one more thought* Welcome to C-D, AjaxR. Didn't mean to come across as getting on your case. Take care.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM

49 posts, read 135,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Didn't mean to come across as singling you out. Yours was just the latest post of the degeneration of this thread into the skyline debate. I see you're new on here. You'll find after a while that it gets old to see how many of these threads turn into bashing of each other's city, when there is the potential for some interesting insight into various cities that could make these threads interesting. And all too often the city-bashing debates get into skyline debates. Gets old when you've read a few of these.

And I agree with LRFox that skylines aren't the be-all/end-all of what makes a city. They do add something to a city's visual appeal, but more of what makes a city aesthetically pleasing in everyday life is found at street level. Along with LRF's examples of Washington and Paris I'll add London to the list of cities that are aesthetically pleasing without massive skylines.

Facts are fine, but so is subjectivity. A lot of what people like or dislike about a city has to do with the feel of the place. You can't pin it down with facts, but it's real.

So . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.:ee k:

*wakes up briefly to add one more thought* Welcome to C-D, AjaxR. Didn't mean to come across as getting on your case. Take care.
No prob ogre. I "3rd" the opinion that skylines don't really make the city, though they can help visually impress. Afterall, Philly's most boring section IMO is where the tallest skyscrapers are grouped together - (West Market etc).

Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,703,440 times
I really like both cities. Philadelphia has the history I love, Boston has the nice, clean city I like (has history too of course, but not as much as Philly). If I had no choice and had to move out of NY, I'd pick Philly or Boston. I like Boston's small-town city feeling (hard to explain, I know), but it also gets more snow and cold than Philly. hard to decide.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,648,289 times
I would prefer Boston, but with go with either right now.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,021,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
No offense but u live in Jersey. Nothing gets "stinkier" than that.
I dont judge where i live, i judge how i live. and i live just fine in Jersey, i wouldnt trade my life in jersey with my friends and family for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City