Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM

395 posts, read 458,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Do Millennials Want to Call Your City

What cities do you think are best for young professionals? Do you think cities that don't have a visible creative class or are too conservative are in trouble?
So if a city cannot attract the immature, delusional narcissistic millenial generation it is in trouble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
So if a city cannot attract the immature, delusional narcissistic millenial generation it is in trouble?
yes

Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM

800 posts, read 780,959 times
1. Cincinnati
2. Nashville
3. Dallas
4. Louisville
5. Savannah
6. Austin/Houston
7. Birmingham
8. Tampa

Maybe Atlanta

Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
yes
No.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
yes
I don't agree. As we (millenials) grow older and more mature, proximity to colleges or "hip" locations will be irrelevant. Much like with the boomers, at a point it will become more about working and succeeding than being an idealistic fun lover.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
lots lots of Latinas & Persians
You and I must have similar taste in women.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
No.
Which "wiser" generation are you a part of (please don't say Baby Boom!)?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Which "wiser" generation are you a part of (please don't say Baby Boom!)?

I was born in 1977 so I guess that puts me on the very tail end of Gen X although some might say it's gen Y. the division gets blurry.

In any event each new generation is becoming more self abosorbed, materialistic and superficial. The millennials are the current epitome of these loathsome traits. I don't blame them though. I actually blame the baby boomers who came of age in the 60's. You know free love, hippies, moral relativity, all that garbage. I bet many of the baby boomers are actually looking back on their wasted youth with regret.

The point is this country started on the path of a very precipitous moral decline in the late 1960's. America today, for the most part, is an ammoral, superficial, self centered, materialistic, media/celebrity obsessed wasteland. I have two children, both under the age of 2. I don't know what dumb name will ultimately be offered up to brand their generation. However I do know that I will do my utmost as a father to ensure that they do not turn out like 95% of the millennials, spoiled, coddled, selfish, superficial, materialistic, whiny little pissants waiting for the world to make good on their ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
In any event each new generation is becoming more self abosorbed, materialistic and superficial.
This is said by every generation. If anything, I think it's the opposite. The young folks I know are the least materialistic that I can think of.

BTW, I'm 40.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Millennials may be delusional, narcissistic, and immature but they aren't materialistic, at least not in the same way older generations are. Most of them are about living small and sustainable. They are rejecting that huge house in suburbia and three cars for a small apartment in an urban, walkable neighborhood. They would rather not even have a car but instead use bikes or public transportation to get around. They have a much higher affection for the arts than any recent generation but reject corporate art, hence the popularity of indie music and foreign films. They are also rejecting American superiority and are the first generation to really question whether the American model is the best. They are truly multicultural and are more global minded than any previous generation. They are a very idealistic generation, many times cynically so, but they aren't materialistic. Being that most of them grew up very lavishly and experienced materialism for their childhoods they are rejecting that as adults. This is why though cities like Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, etc are so beloved by millennials because they offer the life experience they seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City