Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM

541 posts, read 912,734 times

Advertisements

28. From NY, lived in NY/NJ. Ready for move on from it.

Top choices

Chicago
SF
Philly
DC
LA

I love Minneapolis and Seattle, but the weather in both is too unbearable for me.

I dont care for Boston whatsoever. Not big on Miami either.

Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc. are all too car-oriented.

Denver is too isolated.

Pretty much, the only realistic option is Chicago. Its the best bang for your buck on the list, considering that IMO its the second best urban experience in the US to NYC, that aint bad at all.

Basically, I want the biggest of the big, that have virtually everything, with good transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
28. From NY, lived in NY/NJ. Ready for move on from it.

Top choices

Chicago
SF
Philly
DC
LA

I love Minneapolis and Seattle, but the weather in both is too unbearable for me.

I dont care for Boston whatsoever. Not big on Miami either.

Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc. are all too car-oriented.

Denver is too isolated.

Pretty much, the only realistic option is Chicago. Its the best bang for your buck on the list, considering that IMO its the second best urban experience in the US to NYC, that aint bad at all.

Basically, I want the biggest of the big, that have virtually everything, with good transit.
Chicago, while not as cold as Minneapolis will be noticeable colder than NYC. I think you know this already, but just in case you don't...

Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Nickeloden has been around a little longer than the other two. It was a basic cable channel in the mid 80s. I remember Nickelodeon shows from 1985. It could be considered solid Gen-X channel.
Nickelodeon peaked in popularity (and quality) in the 90s.

For example, every single kid in American wanted to visit Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando during that decade.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
For me:

1. Chicago
2. Philadelphia
3. Minneapolis
4. Atlanta
5. New York City
6. Seattle (the weather is a deal breaker for me. I get enough of the overcast skies in the winter with the lake effect stratus in Detroit)
7. San Francisco
8. Boston
9. D.C.
10. Denver

For me, I like a BIG city (or at least a city with an extremely strong center of commerce) with Detroit's grit (which is why Chicago and Philadelphia are my top 2 choices). The city must also be very progressive. Even Blue Dog Democrats are too far right for me.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 PM

364 posts, read 619,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Do Millennials Want to Call Your City

This is an interesting article that confirms much of what I see from trends on City-Data. Young professionals want to live in a select group of hip, liberal, walkable cities. Cities such as San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Austin. They also are very fond of smaller, boutique hipster towns like Asheville NC and Boulder CO. The article also says other more "middle America" cities have a limited time to turn things around or they will see serious stagnation and decline. Its no wonder virtually every major city is investing heavily in its downtown area.

What cities do you think are best for young professionals? Do you think cities that don't have a visible creative class or are too conservative are in trouble?
Austin, Boston, Seattle, SF and Portland. Right?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 PM

541 posts, read 912,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago, while not as cold as Minneapolis will be noticeable colder than NYC. I think you know this already, but just in case you don't...

I do, but I am from Upstate NY so im not worried in the least. Any winter other than here is deemed an improvement. Chicago gets 1/3rd the snow im used to, and is much sunnier in the winter. I know Chicago's rep for winter and its really kinda laughable to me.

NYC and NJ are both milder and sunnier as well. Winters in the city werent bad at all to me.

Its just after awhile, it doesnt matter where you are, you dont wanna deal with winter at all. I have a feeling ill be going where its warm at some point. Most likely California.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Austin, Boston, Seattle, SF and Portland. Right?
+ Denver and Minneapolis/St Paul and also the classics NYC, LA, and Chicago. Denver seems on the radar a lot more since last fall's election.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 AM

96 posts, read 245,531 times
So... from what I've gathered from this thread:

- Baby boomers (1950–1964) = demanding, selfish, resilient
- Gen Xers (1965-1979) = cynical, overlooked, practical
- Gen Yers (1980-1995) = lazy, immature, insightful
- Millennials (1996-now) = spoiled, entitled, ambitious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Nickelodeon peaked in popularity (and quality) in the 90s. For example, every single kid in American wanted to visit Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando during that decade.
As someone from the Y generation, I'm glad I grew up watching shows like Salute Your Shorts, Ren & Stimpy and The Adventures of Pete and Pete.

I wouldn't be surprised if those today who wear striped clothing, thick glasses and ironic tattoos were (indirectly) influenced by the fashion made by Artie and Little Pete.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
I'm Generation Y (a "Millennial"), and you can guess when I was born. I could give you two guesses, but you'll probably only need one.

Since this thread hasn't exactly been a strictly "city" conversation, I have a thought about that, then I will offer my opinion.

Generation Y is/was in a very unique position in the course of human history. My generation came into age (teens to early twenties) when "digital" started to become ubiquitous. Generation X and before were "analog" generations. In other words, in order to have something, you had to be able to hold it. There was a physical connection to everything. For Generation Z(?) and all other generations afterwards being digital is preferred/expected.

But my generation? We've bridged that analog v.s. digital gap.

I know (knew?) how to use the Dewey decimal system at the library. But I can just as easily search for something on a library's computer or Google it.

I used to make sure I was home at a certain time so I was able to see my favorite shows on TV. But I can just DVR it now.

I used to make mix tapes and burn CDs for music. But I can also download music off of a site and put it on a playlist.

So as much as older generations want to deride us for whatever reason, we are the last link to the "old times" that they are so fond of. Because '95-ish and beyond, those people won't know that rabbit ears are things not on a rabbit's head, blowing on a video game and inside a video game console used to make it work, and TVs used to be square and not rectangles.

With that being said, I don't think I could live any place other than a city ever again. And not just any city either. I need a place where I have options. Options on where to live, where to work, where to entertain myself, and most importantly how I get there.

When I got my driver's license gas was about $1.00 a gallon. In 10 years the price was around $4.00 a gallon. That's a 300% increase in price in 10 years. Even during the gas shortage of the 70's it went from $0.40 in 1970 to $0.90 a gallon in 1979... a price increase of 125% and that was considered a "crisis". Welcome to inthe70s, Prices in the Seventies

I'm don't want to live any place where it takes my car to do a lot of things outside of my house. And I will not live anywhere that I HAVE TO use my car for Every Single Thing I want to do outside my house.

If my job wasn't tied to population, I would only live in a place where I could walk/bike/ride transit to my destinations with as little driving as possible.

Despite what other generations say, and what they "know", the Earth will run out of oil if people continue to use it, and the price of it will continue to rise because Less Supply = Higher prices, and More Demand = Higher prices.

So I'm going to live in a place that has (virtually) comprehensive transit.

Think of the children? I will. That's why I live in a city that offers other modes of transportation besides personal cars because I want my children to be able to use ( A partial list of products made from petroleum) :

Solvents
Diesel fuel
Motor Oil
Bearing Grease
Ink
Floor Wax
Ballpoint Pens
Football Cleats
Upholstery
Sweaters
Boats
Insecticides
Bicycle Tires
Sports Car Bodies
Nail Polish
Fishing lures
Dresses
Tires
Golf Bags
Perfumes
Cassettes
Dishwasher parts
Tool Boxes
Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet
Caulking
Petroleum Jelly
Transparent Tape
CD Player
Faucet Washers
Antiseptics
Clothesline
Curtains
Food Preservatives
Basketballs
Soap
Vitamin Capsules
Antihistamines
Purses
Shoes
Dashboards
Cortisone
Deodorant
Footballs
Putty
Dyes
Panty Hose
Refrigerant
Percolators
Life Jackets
Rubbing Alcohol
Linings
Skis
TV Cabinets
Shag Rugs
Electrician's Tape
Tool Racks
Car Battery Cases
Epoxy
Paint
Mops
Slacks
Insect Repellent
Oil Filters
Umbrellas
Yarn
Fertilizers
Hair Coloring
Roofing
Toilet Seats
Fishing Rods
Lipstick
Denture Adhesive
Linoleum
Ice Cube Trays
Synthetic Rubber
Speakers
Plastic Wood
Electric Blankets
Glycerin
Tennis Rackets
Rubber Cement
Fishing Boots
Dice
Nylon Rope
Candles
Trash Bags
House Paint
Water Pipes
Hand Lotion
Roller Skates
Surf Boards
Shampoo
Wheels
Paint Rollers
Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings
Luggage
Aspirin
Safety Glasses
Antifreeze
Football Helmets
Awnings
Eyeglasses
Clothes
Toothbrushes
Ice Chests
Footballs
Combs
CD's & DVD's
Paint Brushes
Detergents
Vaporizers
Balloons
Sun Glasses
Tents
Heart Valves
Crayons
Parachutes
Telephones
Enamel
Pillows
Dishes
Cameras
Anesthetics
Artificial Turf
Artificial limbs
Bandages
Dentures
Model Cars
Folding Doors
Hair Curlers
Cold cream
Movie film
Soft Contact lenses
Drinking Cups
Fan Belts
Car Enamel
Shaving Cream
Ammonia
Refrigerators
Golf Balls
Toothpaste
Gasoline

Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
I actually got 2 see Kenan and Kel @ Nick Studios back in 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City