Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,593,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
You went through all the trouble of creating a new email account so you can create a new account here (assuming you've been banned at least a few times), just to type out this moronic post?
Thanks for posting this and saving me the time...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM

465 posts, read 867,200 times
Quote:
You went through all the trouble of creating a new email account so you can create a new account here (assuming you've been banned at least a few times), just to type out this moronic post?
I'm new to City Data, and what exactly was "moronic" about the post?

Everyone has opinions; learn to deal with it.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,782,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
This is absolutely incorrect, at least the line about Chicagoan's being cliquish. Yes, in a city of 2.8M and metro of 9M+, everyone hangs out with their college/school friends.
That's exactly my point! New York has much more diverse and cosmopolitan population, including the "transplant population", and as a result people do not hang out with college friends as much as in Chicago hence New York is much less cliquish than Chicago. Chicago allows to cultivate that "frat boy culture" while in New York you are supposed to grow out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Wow, just wow. Have you ever been to Chicago or do you live an an insulated world?
Yes. I spent plenty of time in both cities but don't live in neither. Why?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,782,157 times
Quote:
Just because someone has a different than yours opinion doesn't give you the right to call his/her opinions "moronic"

Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,372,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Just because someone has a different than yours opinion doesn't give you the right to call his/her opinions "moronic"
That entire post is moronic, re-read it.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,526,356 times
Quote:

This troll probably has two dozen incarnations. I wonder if someone raped him in Chicago or something? Then again, maybe he has nothing better to do.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,372,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post

Chicago is still pretty expensive (but much less so) and you're in the Midwest, which isn't exactly the most appealing location. You pay a lot, and don't get too much. You still need a car; you're still stuck in a not particularly cosmopolitan part of the world.
Who is "you"? I dont need a car in Chicago; how is one "stuck"? These statements don't make any sense.
"(you) don't get too much" - what does that mean?

Quote:
One major difference is that most Chicagoans are from the Midwest, while New Yorkers tend to be from everywhere. If you go to a place like Lincoln Park or Lakeview, everyone seems to be from Big 10 schools, and it has a frat-type feel. You don't get this really anywhere in NYC, not even in preppy type areas like Murray Hill or Hoboken.
Talk about generalizations. your gibberish reeks of childish trolling. No "frat-type feel" anywhere in NYC? have you been everywhere in NYC? What a dumbass claim.

Looking for frat types in New York? Check out one of these places:

Off the Wagon
Traffic
Village Pourhouse
Mad River
The Austrian
Public House
Brother Jimmy's

Or literally dozens upon dozens of other places.

these are Several bars I frequented when I lived in New York after college, with all of my college friends who lived there, to watch college football and drink our faces off, just like the hundreds of other people who did the same. How about the Santa pub crawl that goes on all around Manhattan either this weekend or next with several hundred post college kids. There are plenty of "frat-types" in NYC. Why is that such a bad thing anyway? You sound like a bitter loser who has a gripe with Chicago, that's fine, just dont play the "im the new guy here, and that is my opinion" card.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,322 times
Quote:
My opinion is that Chicago isn't that great for what you get.

NYC is expensive but is (arguably) the greatest city in the world. You pay a lot but get a lot.

Chicago is still pretty expensive (but much less so) and you're in the Midwest, which isn't exactly the most appealing location. You pay a lot, and don't get too much. You still need a car; you're still stuck in a not particularly cosmopolitan part of the world.

Both cities are big, obviously, and aren't known for being particularly nice or particularly rude. The "big city = rude" stereotype is silly and not really in evidence in either city. People are people.

One major difference is that most Chicagoans are from the Midwest, while New Yorkers tend to be from everywhere. If you go to a place like Lincoln Park or Lakeview, everyone seems to be from Big 10 schools, and it has a frat-type feel. You don't get this really anywhere in NYC, not even in preppy type areas like Murray Hill or Hoboken.
Native New Yorker, born and raised in manhattan, went to big ten school (Michigan), I feel like half my graduating class moved to New York and other half to Chicago. There is a large big ten presence in New York and a ton of bars that cater to the alum. Your post is way off, not sure how "familiar" you are with the city as you say.
Also, Chicago has the greatest concentration of amenities in the country outside New York and the best restaurant scene in my opinion. In addition to the greatest urban water front in the country, how can you say you don't get much?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,878,613 times
Quote:
Listen up Kangaroo Jack, I've never met a soul in Chicago that trumpets the "midwest" like the dozens on this forum. I wonder why? When you're in Chicago, you don't care beyond Chicago & vicinity. Gee, I wonder why?

Love these arguments, midwest this, midwest that. Apparently the region is more on the minds of those that don't live there than the ones that do. Says a lot about you, no?

There are an ample number of neighborhoods in Chicago where you don't need a car perhaps you should live there instead of somewhere like Joliet, I never had my car when I lived in Chicago or the numerous times I've been back.

Define cosmopolitan, because I'm used to a different definition than you- stats show there are likely only two major cities with more multiculturalism than Chicago and they are New York & Los Angeles. Bay Area & Washington are at level. Miami is not. Midwest theory failed.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Chicago mostly attracts other Midwesterners who stick together based on the school they went to.
?? Been here almost 12 years and have been dozens and dozens of people who went to schools all around the country, with a heavy concentration in the midwest. I don't think I've ever met anyone who just sticks together with people who happened to have gone to the same school as they did. People could care less where you went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City