Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Woodlands, TX or Raleigh, NC
The Woodlands, TX 6 27.27%
Raleigh, NC 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,229 times

Advertisements

I’m currently living in Japan ( Originally from Buffalo New York ). I am planning to come back to the US soon and am looking to live in a great area to raise a family. I’ve come down to The Woodlands Texas and Raleigh North Carolina after about 2 years of research. I can understand I should probably visit each before finally choosing, but I would like to know if anyone is familiar with both by any chance? If so, could you tell me which you feel is better, and why? Any information would be extremely useful to me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Woodlands: In a MUCH larger metro area than Raleigh. There's more to do in that area than Raleigh. Woodlands is closer to beaches.

Raleigh has a better climate than Woodlands. North Carolina has many more outdoor activities and day trip opportunities than Texas.

Both are growing and have very strong economies.

Both are good. I think I'll take Raleigh. Just like the all around feel better. Good luck wherever you end up.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I don't know anything about either area but it might help others if you'd tell us why you've narrowed in on those areas. What is it you like?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the replies.

To answer the reasons why I’ve decided on these two:
I work from home, crime & safety, decent amount of things to do, warm weather, good schools & college opportunities for my children, among other things.

What I’m really interested in is what you guys feel about the area. This is the one element I cannot get through research and will very much help me decide. Both as of now look equal to me. I’m looking to buy a house within this year in one of the spots, so I’m trying to gather as much information as I can.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:13 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
The Woodlands.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:46 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Both areas have good schools/universities, as well as safety. You'll find warmer weather and greater access to major city amenities in The Woodlands.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
The Woodlands itself is nice, but metro Houston is so huge that it is not convenient to many of the area's points of interest. The Houston area also has a lot of very unappealing, cheaply developed sections partly due to the absence of zoning outside certain communities as well as the proximity to heavy industry. In the Raleigh area, the vast majority of communities are attractive and the development standards tend to be more consistent.

While both areas are in the South, the climate is quite different. Raleigh tends to be 5-10 degrees cooler year round and is much more likely to get occasional snow and ice in the winter, but if you're originally from Buffalo it would be very minor. Raleigh can get peripherally impacted by hurricanes that come onshore once in awhile, but I don't think they have ever had the type of event like Houston where there was about 50 inches of rain in a week. Houston is particularly prone to flooding impacts as the terrain is almost completely flat. The Woodlands may be a little safer given it is further removed from the Gulf.

I would prefer Raleigh, but The Woodlands should be fine if you prefer a very large metro area and more subtropical climate. For what it's worth, North Carolina has a very large population of former upstate New York residents, so it is probably a viable transition for many people. I don't think Texas tends to draw newcomers as much from that part of the country.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
The Woodlands itself is nice, but metro Houston is so huge that it is not convenient to many of the area's points of interest. The Houston area also has a lot of very unappealing, cheaply developed sections partly due to the absence of zoning outside certain communities as well as the proximity to heavy industry. In the Raleigh area, the vast majority of communities are attractive and the development standards tend to be more consistent.
A huge area simply means more options for one to explore. And more chance to find something new every day.

The application of zoning by principle is a city-by-city basis, laws doesn't apply metro wide. And with the natural mix-use, ease of amenity access it provides, combined with OP's Japanese origin, the lack of zoning would actually be a benefit rather than an issue. As far as heavy industry, that is restricted to specific sections of town that are easy for the average person to avoid.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:29 AM

I should specify that if I choose Raleigh it would probably be the north Raleigh/ wake forest area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City