U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM

126 posts, read 144,979 times
Default Major cities for modern day hippies

What would you say are the best cities for modern day "hippy" types?
Kind of like what San Francisco was in the 60s.

A place where people are liberal, friendly, social, access to lots of nature, laid-back mentality, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-28-2012, 11:56 PM

7,950 posts, read 8,214,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
What would you say are the best cities for modern day "hippy" types?
Kind of like what San Francisco was in the 60s.

A place where people are liberal, friendly, social, access to lots of nature, laid-back mentality, etc.
Where Millennials want to live?

Top Five
--------
San Francisco
Portland
Seattle
Austin
Boston

Next Best Thing
---------
Denver
Minneapolis/St Paul
Any of the megacities i.e. NYC, LA, Chicago, DC

Boutique towns
---------------
Asheville, NC
Boulder, CO

Unread 11-29-2012, 12:41 AM

1,300 posts, read 979,040 times
Don't forget Burlington, Vermont.

Unread 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM

599 posts, read 1,582,876 times
there aren't MANY hippies here, but austin's a hippie-friendly town. more hippies as you head out of the city and into the hill country

Unread 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM

12,397 posts, read 12,595,982 times
millenials aren't hippies... hipsters aren't hippies. liberal people aren't hippies. Major cities and hippies generally don't go together. Expect to find more hippies in places like Eugene, Asheville, Boulder, Taos, Burlington, Santa Cruz, etc or farther out from cities of former hippie areas, Sonoma County, Mendocino County, Humboldt County..

Hippies in Chicago and DC? come again?

Unread 11-29-2012, 10:26 AM

5,084 posts, read 2,524,394 times
Right...there haven't been true hippies in San Francisco for a long time, unless you count the homeless runaways. Hippies live off the earth, man.

Unread 11-29-2012, 10:50 AM

7,950 posts, read 8,214,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
millenials aren't hippies... hipsters aren't hippies. liberal people aren't hippies. Major cities and hippies generally don't go together. Expect to find more hippies in places like Eugene, Asheville, Boulder, Taos, Burlington, Santa Cruz, etc or farther out from cities of former hippie areas, Sonoma County, Mendocino County, Humboldt County..

Hippies in Chicago and DC? come again?
I have always used hippie and hipster interchangeable. I guess there is a difference as hipsters are urbanites while true hippies are more apt to live off the land. I just don't see very many young hippies. Most urban young people would be classified as hipsters.

Unread 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM

12,397 posts, read 12,595,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have always used hippie and hipster interchangeable. I guess there is a difference as hipsters are urbanites while true hippies are more apt to live off the land. I just don't see very many young hippies. Most urban young people would be classified as hipsters.
Definitely not interchangeable. Nothing alike really. I think you have lived in Charlotte and now OKC, so yeah, those are historically conservative places and definitely would be off of most hippies radars, especially in the 60s-70s hippies peaks.
Modern hippies, if anything are new age type or bobos...bohemians with money, not hipsters, which are more or less just current "cool" youth into local music scenes and such.

SF's hippie scene is mostly confided to the suburbs and other parts of NorCal, lots of hipsters in SF along with a pretty big rockabilly scene there.

hipsters are the 2 guys on the left...(photo shelter)

rockabilly... (some are hipsters)

greg david moreno

modern hippie look whicdn

vagabond hippies courtesy cosmic adventure

dance music hipster courtsey silence no good

scene kids (not hipster) samb0ne

boho chic style... not hippie, generally yuppies dressed with fashionable hippiesque styles but produced by major labels and often coupled designer purses/glasses. likes to dress hippiesh but spends 200 dollars at whole foods weekly (courtesy imnottooobsessed)
indie kids have pretty much been lumped into the hipster umbrella.

Last edited by grapico; 11-29-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Unread 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM

599 posts, read 1,582,876 times
maybe the san juan islands in washington? i know the gulf islands across the border are a bit of a hippie haven. never been there, but i also imagine vermont and maybe the wasilla valley in alaska to be somewhat hippified. i also know that there are lots of organic wooff farms in new mexico, so that might be another place to look into, particularly the north

Unread 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM

27,017 posts, read 30,490,329 times
In and around Ithaca and New Paltz NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City