U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,054,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othon View Post
DC? All I saw were a lot of white and black people while I was there. And it seemed to be really segregated even just among those two groups.
WOW. You're very ignorant. You seriously think there are only white and black people...wow. You probly just stayed on the mall and didn't see the true city like most tourists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 07:09 PM

104 posts, read 412,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
WOW. You're very ignorant. You seriously think there are only white and black people...wow. You probly just stayed on the mall and didn't see the true city like most tourists
I didn't say I think there are only white and black people, I'm just saying that that's all I saw. But yes, my (now I know inaccurate) judgment was based on what I saw at the mall (Why should it matter, anyway? Do malls just naturally attract whites and blacks disproportionately more than any other people?). It was on a weekend during summer vacation, so I assumed a lot of the people in the touristy areas were just that, tourists. No need to get so aggressive, though.

Edit: I also don't doubt DC's diversity. I merely made that comment with the thought that DC was being compared to Houston.

Last edited by Othon; 10-14-2007 at 07:21 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 07:13 PM

508 posts, read 1,278,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Sacramento, there is some statistic that it is the most diverse city per capita in the United States. There are many whites, asians, blacks, hispanics. You name it.
I thought that quote applied to Oaktown.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 PM

694 posts, read 1,985,476 times
Quote:
Big black, Jewish, Vietnamese, Chinese, and gay communites. There's diversity even within the hispanic community, it's not just all Mexicans.

Houston's also not as segregated as a lot of major cities.
Sounds like D.C.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:37 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,618,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Sounds like D.C.
If Houston has any competition in the diversity department, it's probably D.C. I wouldn't count on them being equally diverse, though.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM

82 posts, read 63,082 times
Are you saying that D.C. is the only place that can compete with Houston in the diversity department?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,618,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Are you saying that D.C. is the only place that can compete with Houston in the diversity department?
As far as being the closest in diversity, I hear that D.C. and Houston are similar. Both LA and NY are more diverse than both of them.

Guys, just because you were not aware of Houston's diversity does not mean it isn't.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:59 PM

82 posts, read 63,082 times
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Houston is diverse. I just thought that you were trying to say that Houston/D.C. are the most diverse areas in the nation

Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,054,677 times
Quote:
I didn't say I think there are only white and black people, I'm just saying that that's all I saw. But yes, my (now I know inaccurate) judgment was based on what I saw at the mall (Why should it matter, anyway? Do malls just naturally attract whites and blacks disproportionately more than any other people?). It was on a weekend during summer vacation, so I assumed a lot of the people in the touristy areas were just that, tourists. No need to get so aggressive, though.

Yeah, sorry for getting all defensive about that, not sure what got into me
Maybe you just didn't look hard enough (It doesn't take much to see though). It does make a difference if your on the mall or in the 'real' city. The mall is very touristy, where you see like 90% tourists and 10% locals, theres a big difference. Also the 'mall' is not a mall, its the national mall, where the Wash monument is, the capitol, the lincoln, etc

I can also see your point of view, because when I went to Houston, I only stayed in Downtown and only saw White and Black people like you, so I can understand

Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,164,289 times
Some interesting "unusual" diversity outposts:

Gulf Coast - in addition to the large black and white population with their own unique melange of cultures (i.e. Cajuns in Louisiana), there was a huge resettlement of Vietnamese resulting in many small towns being upwards of 25% Asian, and in recent years, especially post-Katrina, there's been a sizable Mexican and other Latino population increase.

Urban Eastern Pennsylvania - Most of the cities of Eastern Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bethlehem, Lancaster, York, Reading, etc.) have very large Latino populations, largely Puerto Ricans who migrated from New York for a cheaper cost of living, mixing with native black communities, and a diverse white community and nascent Asian (usually Vietnamese) communities.

Salt Lake City - The city has a very small (although growing) black population, but has a large Latino population (over 20%), a sizable Asian community and one of the largest concentrations of Pacific Islanders in the U.S. (many of whom are Mormon).

Anchorage - Sizable black, Latino, Asian and Native American population.

Providence - Very very diverse which surprises a lot of people. The city has almost equal numbers of whites (with a strong Italian and Portuguese influence) and Latinos (diverse but lots of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans), with large Cape Verdean, Brazilian and Cambodian communities as well.

California's Imperial Valley - This rural-ish area north of Sacramento has the largest concentration of Punjabi Indian Sikhs in the nation who have been there for over a generation and integrated with a large Mexican community, both of whom mixed with the white community and small number of blacks and Native Americans, leaving an interesting melange of cultures.

Hamtramck, Michigan - Detroit's most diverse suburb, once almost entirely Polish, but then a more diverse white population and an increasing number of blacks from the city moved in, and in the past 15 years or so, there's been a huge increase in virtually everything else, notably Bangladeshis (generally secondary immigrants from Queens), Albanians, Bosnians, Yemenis and Indians which makes it unique for an area known for it's rigid segregation.

The government has also been taking a more atypical approach so far as refugee resettlement in the past 10 years or so, choosing to settle newcomers generally in very "random" and homogenous cities such as Fargo, Sioux Falls, Lincoln, Manchester (NH), Burlington (VT), and Des Moines which while they remain overwhelmingly white, probably would surprise people by their relative diversity.

I will also say that I'm from northern Virginia and people who visit are always surprised by the incredible level of diversity in the area. I think it's become more known in recent years, but I suppose many people still think of Virginia (and much of the South) as being pretty much white and black. They tend to be surprised when they see the large number of Muslim women in head scarves, and hear the large amounts of Spanish being spoken, or if they were to look at my high school yearbook and see how many more Kims and Nguyens there were than Smiths.

Last edited by dullnboring; 10-15-2007 at 01:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or