Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:54 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times

Advertisements

Hartford, Connecticut:
17.8% White
38.1% Black
40.5% Hispanic
1.6% Asian
And if your reading this and saying "No way, that can't be true", I got this data straight from the census bureau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 PM

I'm just wondering why some people say that Washington D.C. is so diverse.
It's 60% black, 27.8% white, 7.9% hispanic, and only 2.7% asian. Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem all that diverse to me.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Based on facts from the U.S. Census Bureau, the most diverse cities in my opinion are:
Oakland, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Houston, TX
Chicago, IL
Dallas, TX
Sacramento, CA
New York, NY
San Jose, CA

Old 04-04-2009, 01:09 PM

33 posts, read 136,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
It's 60% black, 27.8% white, 7.9% hispanic, and only 2.7% asian. Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem all that diverse to me.

thats not including the metro area which gives people the wrong impression..

same with SF and the guy's claim that Houston is more diverse....hes excluding the rest of the Bay Area which in my opinion is the most diverse region in the U.S WITHOUT anyone really caring...its not like a big deal to people in the Bay to say "My dry cleaner is Korean, taxi driver is Indian, and hey look at that Russian buying ethnic food in the store !!" diversity is just a way of life as opposed to places like NYC and Chic where they have "ethnic enclaves" and supposedly brag about different cultures as if its such a big deal, lol

Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
The city proper of Washington D.C. is small (some 60 odd square miles, much like St. Louis), with a population of almost 600,000 people.

The metropolitan area of Washington D.C. has nearly 5.5 million people.

Most of the people that you see walking around D.C. actually live in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs, and all travel into the city each day for work and leisure.

So while the city itself may not seem to be that diverse by solely looking at city population numbers (hence the nickname "The Chocolate City"), that is certainly not the case while you are walking around.

I'm not sure, but I think the 2008 Census estimates have the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area as 50% White, 26% Black, 12% Hispanic, 9% Asian, 3% Other?

And a place can be known as ethnically diverse as opposed to just racially diverse, with many immigrants from many different nations but who may be in the same racial class (as opposed to the majority being from one nation like Mexico, or Cuba, or China, etc.)

City proper numbers and statistics are usually not accurate in describing or comparing most metropolitan areas.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
DC is pretty segregated. While living there I worked with people of all different races and ethnicities, but many neighborhoods are still divided along racial lines.

The most diverse place I have ever lived is LA, although the Bay Area is very diverse, too. Both cities seemed far more diverse than DC, although that's not to say that DC doesn't also offer more diversity than many places.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 PM

27 posts, read 137,779 times
after moving from Los Angeles to Chicago I learned the difference between diversity and integration and the significance of that difference. Chicago may be diverse, but the segregation is shocking.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
DC is pretty segregated. While living there I worked with people of all different races and ethnicities, but many neighborhoods are still divided along racial lines.

The most diverse place I have ever lived is LA, although the Bay Area is very diverse, too. Both cities seemed far more diverse than DC, although that's not to say that DC doesn't also offer more diversity than many places.
Lets just note that diversity and segregation/Integration are not the same thing

Old 04-04-2009, 02:50 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Lets just note that diversity and segregation/Integration are not the same thing
Very good point and people seem to get that confused.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
As for surprisingly diverse cities, Lansing, Michigan has a decent Vietnamese community and a good sized Hispanic community that is mainly Mexican. Same with Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, which also has a relatively noticable Native American community.

As far as Upstate NY, Geneva with it's good sized Black and Hispanic(mainly Puerto Rican) communities in a small city of 14,000. Small towns in nearby Wayne County like Lyons, Sodus, Clyde and Newark are also like that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City