U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM

654 posts, read 1,285,850 times

Advertisements

Which major cities do you think are the cleanest and dirtiest in America? I'm talking in terms of a combination of street cleanliness, air quality, etc..

I think we all know which city is the dirtiest. Give some other cities besides the obvious ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 8,242,610 times
Clean: Washington, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Seattle (these are probably the "big five" for clean + major city).

Dirty: Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New Orleans, San Francisco (by far)

Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,035,908 times
Boston and DC are pretty clean, of course have a little bit of grit in certain areas.

Los Angeles is very dirty / gritty. New York seems to have a lot of polish, and a lot of grit (it's NYC it has everything hah). San Francisco is similar to NYC in that it is about half and half.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM

432 posts, read 479,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Clean: Washington, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Seattle (these are probably the "big five" for clean + major city).

Dirty: Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New Orleans, San Francisco (by far)
Nice list but forgetting NYC in the most dirty list is like forgeting Rhode Island in a smallest states list.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,035,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Which major cities do you think are the cleanest and dirtiest in America? I'm talking in terms of a combination of street cleanliness, air quality, etc..

I think we all know which city is the dirtiest. Give some other cities besides the obvious ones.
What city?

Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM

8,993 posts, read 4,217,151 times
I'm surprised to see San Fran on the dirtiest list. It's been a long time since I've been out there but I remember it as pretty clean and pretty nice. Except for the "Tenderloin" which was the pits.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM

6,613 posts, read 8,242,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Nice list but forgetting NYC in the most dirty list is like forgeting Rhode Island in a smallest states list.
I remember when I was a kid visiting New York, I never liked it and part of it was because it was so dirty. I was there 6 weeks ago and the place looks damn clean nowadays, at least in Manhattan. I went all over Manhattan- it's actually very clean with a few hints of grit every now and then. The subway (S line) was another story- New York could use some work cleaning that up. Across the river into New Jersey- it becomes hella gritty. The Bronx is very gritty & dirty too.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,127,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I remember when I was a kid visiting New York, I never liked it and part of it was because it was so dirty. I was there 6 weeks ago and the place looks damn clean nowadays, at least in Manhattan. I went all over Manhattan- it's actually very clean with a few hints of grit every now and then. The subway (S line) was another story- New York could use some work cleaning that up. Across the river into New Jersey- it becomes hella gritty.

Weird story about that, everytime I look at the map visually Rhode Island always looks at least a smidgen larger than Delaware but then their Wikipedia pages disprove it- Delaware is twice the size of Rhode Island.

Manhattan was surprisingly clean when I last visited New York. On the other hand, Brooklyn looked like it was covered with a 100 year old layer of grit.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,065,295 times
NYC! when you walk through the streets on a sunny day in midtown or wherever you will smell pee, garbage on the streets from people looking through trash for food!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,285,010 times
Austin, D.C. and Charlotte are all very clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City