U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 PM

356 posts, read 1,122,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foos View Post
Hands down, Seattle is a much better city. I've lived in both places. Yes, the weather is nicer in Southern California...big deal. That's about the only thing that makes it worth living there. The traffic is horrific, the people are completely self-centered and vain, not to mention rude as hell. The cost of living is retarded as ****. Getting around in LA is a headache and unless you can afford to live near the beach or you want to drive 4-5 hours to get out of town, there is no natural beauty.

Let's also not forget that LA is rated as the #1 most polluted city in the nation. So for health reasons alone, forget about LA. Seattle, the people are more humble, they are real. You don't feel pressured to "Keep up with the Jones's." If you looking to avoid housewives who live to have their hair/nails done, show off their diamonds while driving around in their mercedes, by all means avoid LA. In Seattle, the beach, the mountains, the forest, the city is all within 1 hours reach. The air is crisp and clean, the city is gorgeous with an abundance of great cuisine to choose from. And yes, no THUGS in Seattle.

I can't stand those LA gangsters with their stupid ass jeans down to their knees with tube socks and gold dangling from their necks. What a bunch of friggin morons. The people in Seattle are far more sophisticated and interesting to talk to. One can instantly spot the intellectual differences. They have something to say because they are saturated in politics, art, music and provoking thoughts that are enlightening. Did I mention all of the great festivals Seattle hosts year round? There are tons and tons of brew festivals, musics festivals, (after all, Seattle is a music city). You could attend a festival everyday of the year and still not be able to enjoy all of them.

It's a very active city and walker's paradise. Just like the song goes.."Nobody walks in LA" hence the congestion, eh um. Cost...it's a no-brainer! I had a two bedroom condo in So Cal for $360K. In Seattle, (Kent 25 min from the city) I had a 5 bedroom home with a view of the city lights and the cascade mts. for $340K. Why in the hell would anyone want to live in LA? It sucks! sorry all of you LA fans, but if you read through all of the comments posted in this site, the majority of people opt for living in Seattle because they know how much better it is.

Oh damn, how could I forget parking? In So Cal, you can't park anywhere!!! If it's not a home owner's association telling you how to park, it's all the stupid street sweeping signs. And what good does that do, beings LA is still dirty as hell? Getting into Seattle is breeze, getting out of the city is easy, getting around in the city is easy. If you're environmentally conscious, then Seattle offers much more in public transportation than LA. LA has nothing but a Metro which doesn't really go where you need to. Sure the winters are gray, but if you're a four season type of person, Seattle offers that too. The summers are beautiful with an average temp of 85. Who wants to be in 110 heat everyday in LA? I'm not one for sweltering heat that doesn't allow me to enjoy the days unless I'm near a pool or beach every minute of the day. I guess that's for some people, but too hot for me. SEATTLE RULES!!!!!
ROTF! Someone hates LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:56 AM

293 posts, read 911,638 times
I lived in LA before and I went to high school there. I have family that still lives there so I visit sometimes.

LA is a stressful place and you have to have alot of money to live a good life there. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't live there again.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times
I loved living in L.A. and could easily live there again. And Foos, give me a $360,000 condo in L.A. anyday over a 5 bdrm house in Kent. The uniqueness alone made it so interesting and fun. The vastness, the diversity of its people, the culture, the array of restaurants, entertainment and shopping districts, the architecture. L.A. is big but what I really loved about it is all the different neighborhoods had their own little area for cafes, bookstores, coffee houses and markets you could easily walk to. Could I ever live there again? In a heartbeat.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 AM

99 posts, read 399,210 times
There are both good places to live,,,and fairly soon the cost of housing will be the same in both cities so it will just be a preference rather than cost issue. They are both great.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 AM

14,752 posts, read 27,518,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If weather and gloom are not a concern and the salary is about the same, I can't imagine anyone choosing Southern California over Seattle. Seattle is just more interesting and prettier, has more character and less thuggishness, and is less expensive (except for alcohol).
I'm a native LA person that has owned a townhome on the East Side of Seattle. In the 70s, I would say LA, hands down. Seattle is now expensive, but not as expensive as LA. Seattle may be in a beautiful setting, but the neighborhoods around downtown (Wallingford, Ravenna, Ballard, Capitol Hill) have a dingy feel (all those nasty small and old clapboard bungalows that look dreary in the rain) but the East Side feels more manicured. Older stucco housing stock in LA does NOT look dreary, on the other hand. Seattle, IN MY MIND, is way more uptight than California could ever be. You've got a real mixed bag of variables.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to move back to So. Cal. 3 times. Cold feet...once you've slowed down, it's hard to rejoin that frenzied pace. I'll tell you what...to get the California "feeling," but not the rat race of the West Side of LA, could you opt for the East Bay of San Francisco (Walnut Creek) or North San Diego County?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foos View Post
Hands down, Seattle is a much better city. I've lived in both places. Yes, the weather is nicer in Southern California...big deal. That's about the only thing that makes it worth living there. The traffic is horrific, the people are completely self-centered and vain, not to mention rude as hell. The cost of living is retarded as ****. Getting around in LA is a headache and unless you can afford to live near the beach or you want to drive 4-5 hours to get out of town, there is no natural beauty.

Let's also not forget that LA is rated as the #1 most polluted city in the nation. So for health reasons alone, forget about LA. Seattle, the people are more humble, they are real. You don't feel pressured to "Keep up with the Jones's." If you looking to avoid housewives who live to have their hair/nails done, show off their diamonds while driving around in their mercedes, by all means avoid LA. In Seattle, the beach, the mountains, the forest, the city is all within 1 hours reach. The air is crisp and clean, the city is gorgeous with an abundance of great cuisine to choose from. And yes, no THUGS in Seattle.

I can't stand those LA gangsters with their stupid ass jeans down to their knees with tube socks and gold dangling from their necks. What a bunch of friggin morons. The people in Seattle are far more sophisticated and interesting to talk to. One can instantly spot the intellectual differences. They have something to say because they are saturated in politics, art, music and provoking thoughts that are enlightening. Did I mention all of the great festivals Seattle hosts year round? There are tons and tons of brew festivals, musics festivals, (after all, Seattle is a music city). You could attend a festival everyday of the year and still not be able to enjoy all of them.

It's a very active city and walker's paradise. Just like the song goes.."Nobody walks in LA" hence the congestion, eh um. Cost...it's a no-brainer! I had a two bedroom condo in So Cal for $360K. In Seattle, (Kent 25 min from the city) I had a 5 bedroom home with a view of the city lights and the cascade mts. for $340K. Why in the hell would anyone want to live in LA? It sucks! sorry all of you LA fans, but if you read through all of the comments posted in this site, the majority of people opt for living in Seattle because they know how much better it is.

Oh damn, how could I forget parking? In So Cal, you can't park anywhere!!! If it's not a home owner's association telling you how to park, it's all the stupid street sweeping signs. And what good does that do, beings LA is still dirty as hell? Getting into Seattle is breeze, getting out of the city is easy, getting around in the city is easy. If you're environmentally conscious, then Seattle offers much more in public transportation than LA. LA has nothing but a Metro which doesn't really go where you need to. Sure the winters are gray, but if you're a four season type of person, Seattle offers that too. The summers are beautiful with an average temp of 85. Who wants to be in 110 heat everyday in LA? I'm not one for sweltering heat that doesn't allow me to enjoy the days unless I'm near a pool or beach every minute of the day. I guess that's for some people, but too hot for me. SEATTLE RULES!!!!!
Wow...way negative on L.A., huh? A cousin from Europe came in 2004 and she liked BOTH cities for different things. So that makes it objective, I guess.

First, you are way off on the weather. In the basin, the mercury rarely goes above 90. In the inland valleys, it is hotter, but still doesn't often go over 100...not like Sacto, for instance. At night, the weather is fantastic...you might benefit from a light jacket in LA.

The smog is also a misnomer. It WAS horrendous when I was a kid. The air is now cleaner...when I go there, which is often, I rarely see the brown skies. You will get a weird haze, sometimes, which is not smog.

All of the Westside of LA feels clean to me. East LA and South Central are dingy...no doubt. The OP was asking about the West Side.

Snootiness? I don't think BH or BA or SM are any snootier than Bellevue. The downtown area of Bellevue or Kirkland, including the highrise living craze, has made the area very uppity. See those people taking their walks around Bellevue with the sweater tied around their waist....I doubt you could slap them on the back and B.S. with them....u-p-t-i-g-h-t. LA new money is obnoxious in a different way...who you know, ostentatious, surgeries, clothing, etc. Still, I think I prefer obnoxious to uptight.

Yeah, right, live in Kent??? Get a good prescription for anti-depressants and be prepared to have a Tonya Harding a-like as a neighbor. LOL.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,168,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yeah, right, live in Kent??? Get a good prescription for anti-depressants and be prepared to have a Tonya Harding a-like as a neighbor. LOL.
There seems to be almost a bias against the blue-collar people and the working class in these forums. A bias that I really don't quite understand...

Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
There seems to be almost a bias against the blue-collar people and the working class in these forums. A bias that I really don't quite understand...
It's tax season...you shouldn't be reading this, rain!

No bias against blue collar people at all...it's just that the less white collar the neighborhood is, the more likely you are to have cops come by for events that belong on Jerry Springer, that's all!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:00 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times
'Yeah, right, live in Kent??? Get a good prescription for anti-depressants and be prepared to have a Tonya Harding a-like as a neighbor. LOL'

I couldn't help but laugh at this one.

Seriously though is Kent suppose to be blue collar?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,168,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's tax season...you shouldn't be reading this, rain!

No bias against blue collar people at all...it's just that the less white collar the neighborhood is, the more likely you are to have cops come by for events that belong on Jerry Springer, that's all!

Well, I do agree, to an extent...

Ok, back to the taxes lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or