U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:11 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,301,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
'Yeah, right, live in Kent??? Get a good prescription for anti-depressants and be prepared to have a Tonya Harding a-like as a neighbor. LOL'

I couldn't help but laugh at this one.

Seriously though is Kent suppose to be blue collar?
At one time it was...but no so much anymore. At one time before Microsoft, before the tech boom, the entire region was decidedly blue-collar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,362,327 times
I think it is funny when these threads get started over seemingly incomparable cities.
I am going to just list the positives since the negatives have been exhausted IMO:

LA- Beach, Restaurant options, Entertainment options, more globally connected, sunshine, better airport with cheaper direct flights.

Seattle- Cleaner, Safer, Better downtown shopping, Beautiful lakes, ... all i can think of.

Sorry, I grew up in Washington. I like Seattle, but if you can afford Santa Monica, the nice parts of LA county are the best in the world to live in. If you had a more modest income I could see why you would choose Seattle. I moved away from Washington mainly because of the weather though. It gets old after several years. BUT some people really love it too.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:01 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,522,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Sorry, I grew up in Washington. I like Seattle, but if you can afford Santa Monica, the nice parts of LA county are the best in the world to live in. If you had a more modest income I could see why you would choose Seattle.
E-x-a-c-t-l-y. If you can live WELL in L.A. County's desirable enclaves, it trumps living well in Seattle. The key words are WELL and DESIRABLE. Desirable might mean a view home on the West Side, the West Valley or the South Bay. I think most people would take that over the Bellevue or Mercer Island view home.

I am a Santa Monica native and can't stand it. I was raised in West L.A./Rancho Park. Santa Monica has a boring street grid system, too many palm trees full of pigeon $hit, too close to Bohemian Venice, and too trendy. I much prefer another part of "nice" LA that isn't under the spotlight.

I'm not denouncing Seattle in the physical sense at all (many here know how I feel about the people, so let's not open that "can"). I am in total agreement with the post I am quoting, though.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:27 PM

455 posts, read 1,291,320 times
Default Please.

This is a ridiculous comparison.

There is no doubt that if you are rich - and I mean FU rich - then LA offers some of the most desirable zip codes on the planet. However, those are available to a tiny minority of people. If you're one of the rest of us, you'd be able to live in the parts of LA that are roundly and justly derided by those of us who detest the place a bit more each time we're forced to visit for work or family.

Is perpetual sun really all that fantastic when you live in a hideous concrete valley with terrible schools, pathetic parks, 24/7 gridlock, high crime and pollution? Sure, parts of the South Bay, Malibu and other coastal/hill areas are wonderful, but who the hell can afford them?

Sorry, but I've spent plenty of time both places, and Seattle wins, hands-down, in every area but the nebulous 'climate' that seems to be such an issue for people.

If 'gloom' overrides all of the putridness that is most of LA county, then I'm never going to agree with you, and that's fine.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,301,276 times
I'm never going to agree that L.A. County is more desirable than the Seattle Area, sorry, just not going to happen.

Even if I was rich beyond compare I'd stay right here in the Pacific Northwest...

There are areas of California that I wouldn’t mind having a second home in, but not L.A. County.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,294 times
I currently rent in Downtown Santa Monica. We pay $2700 for an 800 sq. ft. 2 bedroom 2 bath apt. (currently 2 bedrooms in our building go for $3200) We can walk everywhere, including work. Everything closes at 10 p.m. for the most part, except a few annoying and crowded clubs. Our combined income is about $180,000. We will never own a home in California.

We are debating moving to Seattle. Our combined income will be between $180,000 and $220,000. We can buy a place in Belltown.

I am a San Diego girl at heart, but I hate Los Angeles. It's crowded, the traffic is terrible and people are generally rude. I would move back to San Diego in a heartbeat, but the jobs don't exist.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,618 times
I have never been to Seattle but I have live in LA my whole life here are some reasons to stay away:
1.High cost of living 2. Traffic.By the time your half way to your destination, you wont want to go anymore. I fyou have a weak bladder, forget it. 3. Crime(too many gangbangers or wannabes) Forget about people withgood morals or character 4. Too crowded. You have to wait for everything.5. Parking. Nowhere to park, even if your willing to pay for it. 6. School system is the worst in the country. Private school is a must. 7. Low quality food. Even in nicer restaraunts because they are trying to make up for overhead. 8. Media influence on kids seems to be amplified here. 9. Inconsiderate drivers 10. Pollution. Dirty air streets and people.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 AM

172 posts, read 397,101 times
more ghettos in LA than Seattle.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,794,145 times
Los Angeles by a long shot for me

Old 09-29-2010, 12:08 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,767,634 times
Way to revive a 3-year-old thread guys!~ LOL.

Hopefully OP found out where he wanted to go by now and is successful and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or