U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 68,755 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
My wife and I are trying to figure out which one to choose to move for about two years with a possibility of staying there for a longer time. We have been researching and are still undecided. We would be making ~ 130k and would prefer lo leave in either downtown Seattle close to Harbor View medical center vs. UCLA Westwood or Santa Monica. Weather is not a big issue for us. More relevant issues are traffic and cost of living, we would be renting. How does the no State Tax work in WA? In terms of paycheck?
We have read the threads and they have been of great help, we were just wondering how it applied to our specific situation.

Thank you very much

Cheers
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:12 PM

309 posts, read 1,294,556 times
My Dad lives in Santa Monica. It is one of the nicer places in LA to live....but it has a lot of the problems that plague LA--expensive housing, over crowding, traffic, etc.
I think Seattle is a great City if you're looking for a city feel with great natural beauty. People who live in Seattle would probably have a list of problems that look similar to the LA list....but on the positive side I think Seattle trumps Santa Monica in the beauty department.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 68,755 times
Default Seattle vs Los Angeles

Hey guys,
My wife and I are trying to figure out which one to choose to move for about two years with a possibility of staying there for a longer time. We have been researching and are still undecided. We would be making ~ 130k and would prefer lo leave in either downtown Seattle close to Harbor View medical center vs. UCLA Westwood or Santa Monica. Weather is not a big issue for us. More relevant issues are traffic and cost of living, we would be renting. How does the no State Tax work in WA? In terms of paycheck?
We have read the threads and they have been of great help, we were just wondering how it applied to our specific situation.

Thank you very much

Cheers

Old 10-15-2007, 02:14 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,165,668 times
I've lived in both areas and actually was born in Santa Monica. For housing and pay and traffic Seattle is much better - I get so much more of my paycheck now (Our Household income is 150K)

Santa Monica is actually pretty nice - and if I had to choose I'd move there, but that's because I'll always be a Calif girl at heart (My friend in High School called me City Girl because I was from Los Angeles - thus my screen name)

The area by UCLA is very very nice and the housing is just expensive! But if you are staying for a long period of time I'd say it's the best bet to raise a family too

Unless you move OUT of Seattle and towards the 'burbs - then I'd say the East Side will be the best bet for families - out of all your choices

Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 65,706 times
hey, it has been a long time since I've lived in the L.A. area, and I've lived in Seattle for a very long time (15 plus years). I think Seattle is a great place to live as long as you can handle the dark cloudy winters. If you have 130K, I don't see a problem with you renting someplace nice downtown. There are TONS of condos for sale now in downtown Seattle, but if you want something just to rent, I'm sure there are things available and you can avoid the traffic easily by finding something close to your work. If you rent something on Queen Anne (neighborhood name), you could be extremely close to downtown, still walking to all sorts of amenities and avoiding most traffic. Just try to avoid living somewhere where you have to get on I-5. I-5 is a mess traffic-wise - even on the weekends.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,806,286 times
I don't know much about Santa Monica other than what I've read on this forum, but I'd say you could save a heckuva lot of money renting in Seattle. I'm trying to think of a nice place near Harborview ..... as I recall 15th Ave area of Capitol Hill was quite nice, and close enough. That used to be on my daily walk, and was one of the nicer parts of it. Plus you're close to a good healthfood store.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM

990 posts, read 4,222,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Hey guys,

Thank you very much

Cheers
Well, on your next pay day look at your pay stub. Look how much Fed Income tax was taken out for that week. Just add that to your gross amount and that's how much you would make in Wa.. They have no Income tax. Oregon is the one with no "state tax".

Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM

50 posts, read 238,388 times
Just to clarify the post above, we have no state income tax in WA. AKA, it just isn't withheld as it is in California, and many other states. Texas, Florida, Alaska, and a few other states also don't have any personal income tax. The offset tends to be higher property taxes and sales taxes in these places (with the exception of Alaska - oil revenue helps minimize most all taxes up there). Oregon has no SALES tax, but they have a high state income tax. It's ultimately just a matter of when you pay, not if - either when you make the money, or when you spend it.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:51 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,558,881 times
For living close to Harborview I highly recommend First Hill. On First Hill you will find nice apts. for rent and you would be a short walk away to Harborview. Also you're a very walk from the coffee houses, restaurants, stores and grocery stores in the Pike & Pine corridor. Plus you're a short walk from all that dt Seattle has to offer. Another thing I forgot to mention was metro bus service is all over First Hill. It's a pretty safe neighborhood close to just about everything.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,806,286 times
If weather and gloom are not a concern and the salary is about the same, I can't imagine anyone choosing Southern California over Seattle. Seattle is just more interesting and prettier, has more character and less thuggishness, and is less expensive (except for alcohol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or