Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which American city has the best waterfront?
Burlington, VT 2 3.45%
Albany, NY 0 0%
Philadelphia, PA 2 3.45%
Pittsburgh, PA 13 22.41%
Washington, D.C. 1 1.72%
Memphis, TN 2 3.45%
Knoxville, TN 0 0%
St. Louis, MO 1 1.72%
Minneapolis, MN 1 1.72%
Madison, WI 2 3.45%
Cincinnati, OH 3 5.17%
Portland, OR 3 5.17%
Sacramento, CA 2 3.45%
Albuquerque, NM 1 1.72%
Other 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM

41 posts, read 85,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Indianapolis ^
Very pretty! I never gave Indianapolis a thought when I put this together. I never even think of it for anything but it seems like a nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Baltimore. I know was left off for a reason, but Baltimore isn't that close to the ocean

Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,191 times
By my definition of "large body of water", I'm afraid all cities located on major rivers-- including Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis, NO, Cincinatti, Louisville, etc, will have to be excluded from consideration for this poll. That's because, in my interpretation, the Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio Rivers (for example) ARE indeed quite large bodies of water, especially compared to smaller rivers and streams. So, the best American waterfront not on a large body of water might well be San Antonio's.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Louisville easily has probably a top 3 inland waterfront not located on a great lake.

Waterfront Park - Park Information

Not only is the park massive, and hosts North America's largest fire work show, it now has an old railroad bridge dedicated to cross river bike and pedestrian traffic, and is now connected to miles of riverfront parks upstream that includes a massive waterfront development underway:

RiverPark Louisville Kentucky, Lofts and Luxury Condos

Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Let's not forget the Chatanooga waterfront- it has a lot going on on both sides of the river - even a world class aquarium.

That Indianappolis photo is great. I like the scale of the landscape but would prefer to see a bit more variety at the water's edge - planters, benches, etc.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM

41 posts, read 85,087 times
I don't understand what is so difficult to understand from my original post.

New Orleans is next to the Gulf. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CKMBELYD

Savannah, GA is right by the Atlantic. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CLABELYD

Jacksonville, FL is right there on the Atlantic. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CJ4BELYD

Just because the downtown isn't right on the Atlantic, does not mean it isn't by it.

Gosh. If what I said in the first post is not clear enough for some to understand, then I honestly worry for you people when it comes to more important things in life.

The condescending posts about me not knowing what a river is are not appreciated considering the fact that some of you are just insulting your own intelligence by disregarding the first post.

Anyway...

Chattanooga is nice and so is Knoxville. It's too bad Memphis isn't nicer, in my opinion. Looking at some other photos of Indianapolis and San Antonio, I regret not putting them on the original poll.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYinzer View Post
I don't understand what is so difficult to understand from my original post.

New Orleans is next to the Gulf. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CKMBELYD

Savannah, GA is right by the Atlantic. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CLABELYD

Jacksonville, FL is right there on the Atlantic. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CJ4BELYD

Just because the downtown isn't right on the Atlantic, does not mean it isn't by it.

Gosh. If what I said in the first post is not clear enough for some to understand, then I honestly worry for you people when it comes to more important things in life.

The condescending posts about me not knowing what a river is are not appreciated considering the fact that some of you are just insulting your own intelligence by disregarding the first post.

Anyway...

Chattanooga is nice and so is Knoxville. It's too bad Memphis isn't nicer, in my opinion. Looking at some other photos of Indianapolis and San Antonio, I regret not putting them on the original poll.
What does being "by" it have *ANYTHING* to do with it. Those cities are clearly not like San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Newport, Miami, San Diego, NYC, etc.

Your first post said...
"Which American city that is not situated along a large body of water like an ocean or one of the Great Lakes utilizes the water within or along the city's borders in the best way possible? "

None of those cities are situated on an ocean or a great lake, in fact, the rivers they are on are not even as wide as several of the other cities being proposed.

I still see no logic whatsoever in why you would want to not include them. I understand not having a build like San Francisco or Miami, but these cities are CLEARLY river cities, just like pretty much every city in your thread. Should we discount Pittsburgh, b/c it has multiple rivers???

Old 12-15-2012, 04:53 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,231 times
All of these exact same discussions, etc. happened in my post about the same thing :
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...verfronts.html

Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore. I know was left off for a reason, but Baltimore isn't that close to the ocean
The Chesapeake is a large body of water though.

Of all these, Philadelphia probably suffers from the most wasted potential. As it stands, Wilmington has a better waterfront. Maybe that will change.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 12-15-2012 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYinzer View Post
Very pretty! I never gave Indianapolis a thought when I put this together. I never even think of it for anything but it seems like a nice place.
Yes, it's just a small canal and there is not a proper river that flows through central Indianapolis, so it doesn't get much attention, but the canal they've built there is well maintained with nice waterfront property. Probably far from the best in the country, but some nice eye candy still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City