Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you want to live in and why?
Indianapolis 48 40.68%
Detroit 70 59.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So what will your excuse be when the Nordstrom store location is filled later this year? Perhaps you were naive?
It has been over a year since Nordstrom closed.

I can't speak for wh15395; but I don't think anyone is rooting for it to sit empty. I would question just how good those proposals are that you speak of, if they've let it sit empty this long. I am sure they will fill it eventually, but come on. wh15395 is right, if a great deal was sitting out there for the Simons to grab, they would have grabbed it already.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I was not aware that Circle Centre Mall was their home based mall. That is interesting. It's definitely one of the nicer malls I've seen, and the layout of the mall itself is very fascinating. Spanning over several different buildings in the downtown area, connected by skyways, and it's vast with 5 floors, though most of the mall stores are only on 3 of them. Really is quite an impressive mall, they just don't have the medium retail anchor stores like most suburban shopping malls have, like JCPenney, Sears, Dillard's, Macy's, Belk, etc. But they have almost every other store in there!

Is Carson Pirie Scott a Chicago based store? I've never seen one before, except for in Circle Centre Mall.
Some consider the Circle Centre mall their home base mall because Simon's headquarters are just a couple blocks away.

Honestly, Circle Centre used to be better when it opened in the mid-90s and was filled with stores that had their only location in Indiana, but many of those store closings weren't the fault of the mall. Many of the companies just went under, like FAO Schwartz, The Warner Bros. Store, Parisians, I believe there was a Discovery Channel Store. Now it's filled with stuff you can find in Castleton, Greenwood, and metropolis. It used to be more of a draw as it was the only place you could go in Indiana to access some of the stores. But not anymore.

Also, it's really just two big buildings. It looks like several different buildings from the outside because they nicely preserved some of the old building facades to use on the exterior. And original plans had the mall extending all the way to Monument Cricle. I really wish that would have happened somehow. Also, originally, across the Artsgarden from the mall in Claypool Court there was at least and Old Navy. I feel like there was another store in there as well.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

I can't speak for wh15395; but I don't think anyone is rooting for it to sit empty. I would question just how good those proposals are that you speak of, if they've let it sit empty this long. I am sure they will fill it eventually, but come on. wh15395 is right, if a great deal was sitting out there for the Simons to grab, they would have grabbed it already.
Exactly. I'm still cautiously optimistic that it will be filled eventually, but not with anything on the same level as Nordstrom.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
I would of picked Detroit instead of Indy. Anyway Detroit is winning!

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-07-2013 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well I'm sorry to tell you, but you have no clue what you're talking about. Carson's is in no way better than Nordstrom unless you mean cheaper. Ask any Chicagoan lol. And if they'd seen good plans it would be full. It's naive to think that they're actually combing through options. At this point they will take what they can get.
Well, which store is better is pretty subjective as I am not even a fan of Nordstrom. When I shopped at Circle Centre I would go to Parisians rather than Nordstrom but that's just me. I grew up with Parisians and prefer what they offer. I'm also a fan of Carson Pirie Scott. Let me give you this clue...I could care less which one you think is better. Also unless you actually work for Simon Property Group I'll take Les Morris's word for it over an anonymous stranger on the internet since they own it. That came from them so take it for what it is. It is naive to suggest that the mall is dying which isn't true just because they didn't get a tenant in there pronto. It doesn't always work that way. They won't just throw anyone in a prime location. The last I read the occupancy rate only dropped a few percentage points to 91% down from 93% (that it is not dead). If the mall were dying it would have been all over the news. I actually shopped there just last week and it was crowded with shoppers with high occupancy of stores minus a Nordstrom. You want to know what a dead mall is? I was at the City Center Mall in downtown Columbus,OH when it hardly had any stores and traffic at the time before it closed. That was a dying mall. Circle Centre is quite the opposite. Thankfully, we are fortunate to not have huge malls like Polaris or Easton in the Indy metro area to make much of an impact. The Fashion Mall actually is small when compared to other much larger malls I've been to around the country. Metropolis and Greenwood aren't doing enough to have a major impact to the point of closing the doors at Circle Centre. Unless we build a much larger mall like a Polaris, Houston Galleria, or the Mall of America that would suck away more traffic not likely. Also you need to factor the amount high occupancy of businesses (shops,restaurants,offices etc.) that surround Circle Centre. Let's not be so quick to speculate on what we don't know yet and accept Simon's word for it since they own the mall and not you. In due time we will all know when they make the "official" announce. One year is nothing. You need to learn patience my friend.

Last edited by urbanologist; 01-07-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

I wonder too but only Simon knows the answer. We'll just have to wait for the "official" announcement. Keep our fingers crossed. Btw, you mentioned being from the Detroit area. Ever had Detroit style pizza? any good?

wh15395, three more stores just opened at Circle Centre. The mall is suppose to be dying. I bet it won't
Three stores open at Circle Centre Mall

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Well, looks like Indianapolis does have the better downtown Mall and shopping, being that Detroit has no mall downtown...

Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
wh15395, three more stores just opened at Circle Centre. The mall is suppose to be dying. I bet it won't
Three stores open at Circle Centre Mall
Lol. You do realize those are all holiday pop-up stores that will close (or have closed) when the shopping season is over. They're filling spaces that have gone vacant since Nordstrom closed. That section of the mall is having trouble and will continue to until they fill that Nordstrom space. It is what it is, the mall is starting to struggle. I walk through it nearly every day and only want to see it succeed, but right now, it is struggling.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I'm going with Detroit. If I could have one wish: it would be prosperity (longterm) for Detroit.

My grand parents (from dads side) live in a lovely suburb of Detroit. I've been to the Detroit-Windsor area 5 times before and I've seen the good, the bad, & the ugly. Detroit's got more to offer than people try to portray it as- it's got a nice Downtown, Midtown, Greektown area but the city could really use some more work. I hope it prospers drastically, it's a cool city.

Anyway, about those Detroit suburbs- here's some information from 18Montclair on them and I've gone back and checked them and they are valid. I've also found some articles & magazines with the same results (the full list).

I've always found income to be the best gauge personally & this list lines up with reality anytime you visit any of these suburbs. The truth is, I see people on this forum parading around saying things like "so & so city has some of America's most elite suburbs" the truth is every major metropolitan has "some" of America's best suburbs but only a select few cities have a higher concentration of them (and Detroit is one of them).

Look I'm not one to ever shoot my mouth without knowing I can dig into something to support my assertion- I would feel foolish & clownish otherwise. The assertion of Detroit having many great suburbs are met & proven. Different sources, different income barometers, different standards will always lead to a list like this or resoundingly similar to it. That's the finish line.

I have nothing against Indianapolis.
Very interesting list, thanks for posting.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
This is a gentle reminder that the topic of this thread is Indianapolis vs. Detroit, and please stick to the criteria established by the OP. If you want to discuss other cities, please do a search for threads about those cities or start a new thread if there is none. If you want to discuss the merits of suburban vs. downtown shopping malls, you should go to the Urban Planning forum.

UPDATE: After having to delete over a dozen posts for not following the rules, this thread is now closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 01-15-2013 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City