Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:34 AM

173 posts, read 276,308 times

Advertisements

To those who have been to each of the fallowing towns; Spearfish, SD, Cheyenne, WY, Sante fe, NM, Portland, Maine, and Flagstaff, AZ, which would you prefer to live in? I haven't been too any of them, but those are the ones I'm looking into when I have the fiances to move, so cost of living is obviously a concer. Also obvious from the list, beautiful surroundings are a requirement, but even more so is a place where it's never too hot/humid; I don't really mind the cold. Also good public transportation would be very welcome, but not a requirement. I also require to be near a good electronics store or a wallmart type place, a supermarket, and a big bookstore. Again, since I haven't been to any of these places, I need you're thoughts ad opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
I've not been in Portland ME, but the others all lack a decent public transportation system. You will definitely need your own transport to get around Cheyenne, Spearfish, and Flagstaff. Santa Fe has some public transport, but a lot depends upon where you want to get around.

WallyWorld or comparable for electronics can be had in all, and supermarkets are there. Definitely not hot/humid, although you can have days into the high 90's.

Beautiful surroundings ... if you mean immediately around the town without having to travel any distance ... rules out Cheyenne which is on the plains in a high altitude desert environment; greenery isn't there like it is in Spearfish or Flagstaff.

Your choice will definitely be influenced by how much money you can bring to your new location and what your requirements are for housing/space/location/amenities close by, and if you require employment that pays a livable wage for your needs.

What is your definition of a "big bookstore"? A B&N? or an independent such as Powell's or The Tattered Cover?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 AM

173 posts, read 276,308 times
Barnes&Nobles or Borders is how I define a big bookstore. I guess I should take Cheyenne off the list then. Any other cities/towns in WY that matches my criteria?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
CD has threads devoted to Portland, Maine. Have you read them? Visit during various times of the year before making a move to any of the places you listed. This would be an easy decision for me. The only one close to the ocean is Portland, Maine.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I'll erase everything I just wrote and say that for you, Cheyenne, WY would be my first choice. It's proximity to the Denver and Fort Collins metro area will mean you're not that far away from stuff to do if you want the big city life, and honestly although the black hills are beautiful, they don't hold a candle to the colorado rockies.

It's not too humid there, in fact it's not very humid at all, they get plenty of sunshine, and they have a nice chinook effect there which will break up the constant brutal cold I have to put up with in Brookings, SD during the winter. In fact you've just given me a couple more cities to add to my list. You sure know how to pick em.

I would personally love Portland, Maine, too but I like humidity. Spearfish, SD is nice too, no doubt about it, but jobs pay low unless you have a specialized profession lined up in the hills. Plus the hills are relatively far away from any large city if you need that sort of thing. I don't have any experience with the cities in AZ or NM, but they look fairly nice on paper. They are all somewhat 'brown' climates as any non-humid climate will be, whereas Portland is a 'green' climate as any area on the eastern half of the US will be.

I will say if you are looking for a scenic view right from the city, Cheyenne WY does not have it like Spearfish does, you need to drive a bit, west or south, to hit the mountains. There's a lot of rolling ranchland in that area, similar to what you'd find if you drove east of Rapid City. Spearfish is beautiful, from anywhere in town. All depends on what you need, and whether you'd find proximity to Denver appealing.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-17-2012 at 05:48 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,354 times
I have been to Cheyenne, Santa Fe, Portland, and Flagstaff. In order I would choose.

Santa Fe
Flagstaff

Portland
and way way way down the list....
Cheyenne

I did not care for Cheyenne.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM

262 posts, read 606,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
Barnes&Nobles or Borders is how I define a big bookstore. I guess I should take Cheyenne off the list then. Any other cities/towns in WY that matches my criteria?
There's a Barnes & Noble in Cheyenne, or are you referring to the scenery?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
I have been to Portland multiple times. I have a good friend who lives there. It is like a big city there compared to the other towns you mentioned. It just goes from one town out to smaller suburbs and all runs together. There is every kind of shopping wherever you go. It is gorgeous there with tons of trees and it is nice being near the ocean. My friends who live there can't wait to retire and get out of Maine. They say that taxes are really high there. The cost of live is supposedly high. That's all I know!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 AM

44 posts, read 108,025 times
Honestly, I think you've come to the right message board. Santa Fe sounds like it would be your best bet. I've been to Santa Fe, Portland (ME), and Cheyenne. Have heard good things about Flagstaff but am unfamiliar with Spearfish. Although I enjoyed each city, Santa Fe is more my taste because of the stunning landscapes found all around northern NM, the dry, relatively mild climate, and the history and culture of the city. I know that all of these cities or at least their surrounding areas are naturally beautiful and also have their history, but something about the high-desert climate and scenery of SF hits me where it counts. You will have no problem finding a "big box" store, most of which are located off Airport Road, a more commercialized part of the city. The only thing missing in SF is great public transportation, but it is entirely doable to take the buses and it's always fun to take the Rail Runner from SF-ABQ for a few bucks. I should add that SF is a very walkable/bike-able city. And I mean that size-wise and scenery-wise.

Of course, your best best is to visit some of these destinations to get a better sense of what each city has to offer; alas, most of us don't have the money to take a trip like that. But since all of these cities are *relatively* close together, minus Portland, you could save up and make it a road trip. Maybe camp out when it warms up or try Couchsurfing. I think that will make you much more comfortable with your decision and it would be a real bummer to move to a place, have high expectations, and find out the city is exactly what you thought it was not. I know a lot of people who have done that (including myself) and it turns out THAT is more expensive--making a move and then eventually moving back to their original homebase--rather than exploring beforehand. Hope that helps a bit.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Default Cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
To those who have been to each of the fallowing towns; Spearfish, SD, Cheyenne, WY, Sante fe, NM, Portland, Maine, and Flagstaff, AZ, which would you prefer to live in? I haven't been too any of them, but those are the ones I'm looking into when I have the fiances to move, so cost of living is obviously a concer. Also obvious from the list, beautiful surroundings are a requirement, but even more so is a place where it's never too hot/humid; I don't really mind the cold. Also good public transportation would be very welcome, but not a requirement. I also require to be near a good electronics store or a wallmart type place, a supermarket, and a big bookstore. Again, since I haven't been to any of these places, I need you're thoughts ad opinions. Thanks.
Not sure about the other places, but I have looked into Flagstaff and Santa Fe. Both have a high cost of living compared to many areas in the country. I've driven through Spearfish and I suspect it is far too small to have some of the things you want. Most people probably drive to Rapid City to shop.

You might consider Boise, Idaho. It's more likely to have a big bookstore, and is high and dry, with four seasons, can get hot in the summer, but has a short summer. It has perhaps 200-250k people. And people who live there give it overall pretty good ratings on CityData.

Wyoming has beautiful country and I'm sure Casper and Cheyenne have supermarkets and Walmarts, but a "big" bookstore, I'm not so certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City