Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What accounts for the COL disparity between Philly and DC?
Philly is less expensive because it has more supply 11 35.48%
DC is more expensive because it has stronger demand 20 64.52%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Such a predictable counter.

NYC is sooooooooo much bigger than every other metro that it has more of almost everything. More Jamaican immigrants, more millionaires, more students, more welfare recipients, more bankers, more independently wealthy trust fund brats, more AIDS cases, more voluntarily impoverished Orthodox Jews, more gays, etc. The wealth in NYC is so massive on an absolute scale that it has a tremendous impact on the COL for everyone else. There are more people in the NYC Metro area with a college degree than there are people in the entire Delaware Valley.
Predictable because it's correct. Of course NY has more of everything-it's the largest city and metro in the country. That is why we look at percentages in order to compare. You can't get around the facts, no distortion to percentages, especially when we're looking at the most populated Metros and Cities.

New York has more Jews than Tel Aviv and more Irish than Dublin, but the percentages tell us a much more accurate picture.

Quote:
I've always thought that stat was rather dubious and cherrypicked.
Of course it is cherrypicked-It only includes Center City. Which you and I both know is in a league of it's own in the Philly area.
But at the end of the day Center City has the third largest downtown population in the country and that population has the highest rate of advanced degrees of any downtown in the country. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 12-20-2012 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Navy Yard,.

huh?

The NEW EYA townhomes HERE in Cap Riverfront are selling for less than 700k, I am pretty sure. I doubt many couples with combined incomes of 600k buying those. Ditto for Brookland (except maybe the few REALLY big houses) Trinidad, Kingman Park, 16th Street Heights, or Takoma.

As far as I can tell you aren't going to find that many houses listing for north of 650k in any of those neighborhoods.

I really doubt couples with joint incomes of 600k are spending a lot of time at open houses for units that sell for barely more than their combined income - there are certainly frugal folks around, but not many THAT frugal.

Arlington runs higher but thats for SFHs in an excellent school district.

In Old Town Alex you can find properties for north of one million sure - but you can still find some THs for less than 650k. A few other parts of Alex are close to that (like Del Ray) but several are far cheaper.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 AM

DC has a pretty good share of Ivy Grads who are NOT making a lot of money - civil servants, hill staffers, NGO/nonprofit employees, etc, etc. NYC which has more aspiring writers and actors and artists may match it (though DC also has some struggling would be writer/journalist types, I guess)

Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
DC has a pretty good share of Ivy Grads who are NOT making a lot of money - civil servants, hill staffers, NGO/nonprofit employees, etc, etc. NYC which has more aspiring writers and actors and artists may match it (though DC also has some struggling would be writer/journalist types, I guess)
Exactly. I also generally just challenge BajanYankee's implication that the "best and brightest" are only found in a couple select cities (eg, DC and NY). There are concentrations of innovative and brilliant minds in cities/companies across this country. Look at the Inc 500 fastest-growing companies list -- very widely dispersed across the country:

Fast-Growing Companies Call These Cities Home | Inc.com

These companies could not be so successful without the best and the brightest in their fields.

I will concede that DC stands out as having a disproportionate amount of this cohort (and NY, of course, stands out based only on sheer scale), but as many have been saying, this is institutionalized by its de facto government sector and not nearly as organic as other cities.

Also, due to its political nature, there is an inherently conservative undercurrent here of not shaking up the status quo too much that can be stifling to creative thought -- the extent to which you do not find in any other US city.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
huh?

The NEW EYA townhomes HERE in Cap Riverfront are selling for less than 700k, I am pretty sure. I doubt many couples with combined incomes of 600k buying those. Ditto for Brookland (except maybe the few REALLY big houses) Trinidad, Kingman Park, 16th Street Heights, or Takoma.

As far as I can tell you aren't going to find that many houses listing for north of 650k in any of those neighborhoods.

I really doubt couples with joint incomes of 600k are spending a lot of time at open houses for units that sell for barely more than their combined income - there are certainly frugal folks around, but not many THAT frugal.

Arlington runs higher but thats for SFHs in an excellent school district.

In Old Town Alex you can find properties for north of one million sure - but you can still find some THs for less than 650k. A few other parts of Alex are close to that (like Del Ray) but several are far cheaper.

That wasn't the point I was making. No, houses don't sell for $600K in every single DC neighborhood. But a house in a crappy murder trap such as Kingman Park will cost substantially more than a house in a neighborhood like Strawberry Mansion. And a house in Bloomingdale will cost substantially more than a house in Cedar Park. This is an indisputable fact. And the notion that this has little to do with greater wealth is ridiculous to me.

Someone moving from Philly to DC will notice an appreciable difference in what they can afford because the earning scale and overall wealth is so much higher there. Just like someone moving from DC to NYC (which I did) will notice an appreciable difference in what they can afford because the earning scale and overall wealth is so much higher here.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
When did I say that all Ivy League grads make a lot of money? I mean, why the need to go to extremes and point out every single exception to make a point. That's simply being argumentative,

Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. I also generally just challenge BajanYankee's implication that the "best and brightest" are only found in a couple select cities (eg, DC and NY).
Again, why the need to mischaracterize my statement? Here's what I said.

Quote:
DC and NYC are not only getting a large share of the best educated workers but it's also getting a larger number of educated workers in general. There are more people in these cities who went to "decent" schools as well.
Where in that statement does it say that the "best and brightest are only found in a couple select cities?" Stop making sh*t up.

Quote:
There are concentrations of innovative and brilliant minds in cities/companies across this country. Look at the Inc 500 fastest-growing companies list -- very widely dispersed across the country
Did I say these people didn't exist in other cities? Yes, they exist in Pittsburgh, but not to the same extent they do in the SF Bay Area. What's so hard to understand about that? It's just like comparing the talent in the MLS to the talent in the English Premier League. That doesn't mean there are no good players in MLS. It just means that the Premiere League has more quality talent and that talent extends deeper into its rosters.

Quote:
I will concede that DC stands out as having a disproportionate amount of this cohort (and NY, of course, stands out based only on sheer scale), but as many have been saying, this is institutionalized by its de facto government sector and not nearly as organic as other cities.
That is completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Also, due to its political nature, there is an inherently conservative undercurrent here of not shaking up the status quo too much that can be stifling to creative thought -- the extent to which you do not find in any other US city.
Again, this is irrelevant. If you want to start a thread about how DC being a stuffy, white-collar town with few "think outside the box" types, then I'm all for it. But this thread is about COL. And things like educational attainment and where you went to school has a strong correlation with income and income impacts COL.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Again, why the need to mischaracterize my statement? Here's what I said.
Where in that statement does it say that the "best and brightest are only found in a couple select cities?" Stop making sh*t up.
I honestly wasn't trying to mischaracterize anything. That's really just what I got out of what you said. I understand your argument, so I won't belabor the point any further.

Quote:
Someone moving from Philly to DC will notice an appreciable difference in what they can afford because the earning scale and overall wealth is so much higher there

Earnings are higher, but buying power is not. I know you do not think that is super relevant here, but it is misleading to say without that caveat. Having more money to afford higher prices for the exact same thing does not make one wealthier.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:

That wasn't the point I was making. No, houses don't sell for $600K in every single DC neighborhood. But a house in a crappy murder trap such as Kingman Park will cost substantially more than a house in a neighborhood like Strawberry Mansion. And a house in Bloomingdale will cost substantially more than a house in Cedar Park. This is an indisputable fact. And the notion that this has little to do with greater wealth is ridiculous to me.

Someone moving from Philly to DC will notice an appreciable difference in what they can afford because the earning scale and overall wealth is so much higher there. Just like someone moving from DC to NYC (which I did) will notice an appreciable difference in what they can afford because the earning scale and overall wealth is so much higher here.

Im not disputing that Philly is cheaper than DC, apples to apples (you will notice upthread I have my two cents on why)

I think the idea that DC open houses are crawling with folks with combined family incomes of 600k or higher is a very false picture of the DC real estate market though (I cannot speak to brooklyn open houses). I would doubt that folks like that are looking much at houses that are listed at less than one million. The edgier neighborhoods on your list have NO houses in that range - and all but the a handful of the other have a mix that includes many houses less than that. The few where prices like that are the norn really DO represent a handful of pockets. Maybe more pockets than you would find in Philly, but still pockets.

The DC marketplace is hot - but as far as I can tell its heat is being driven, even in the markets for houses (as opposed to condos) by people with family incomes between 150k and 500k, much more than by people with incomes north of 600k.

A couple with a combined income of say 300k (who could easily afford 600k for a TH, and less frugally could afford 750k) could have individual salaries of only 150k each.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
When did I say that all Ivy League grads make a lot of money? I mean, why the need to go to extremes and point out every single exception to make a point. That's simply being argumentative,
Because the poorer Ivy league grads arent just rare exceptions that falsify "all" - they (and folks similar to them who went to other Univs) are an important part of the DC market, and are, I suspect, driving much of the change in the edgier neighborhoods. The implication that Ivy league grad =s 300k for higher salary is not only incorrect - its gives a misleading impression of life in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City