Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What accounts for the COL disparity between Philly and DC?
Philly is less expensive because it has more supply 11 35.48%
DC is more expensive because it has stronger demand 20 64.52%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Los Alamos leads U.S. rankings of white-collar jobs - The Business Journals

Washington DC, third for white collar population as a peercentage of the metropolitan workforce.

Philadelphia, forty fourth.
Going by percentages is wise for comparing a city to itself, but for comparing two cities, it's foolish. Look at the raw numbers.

DC - 1.4m white collar jobs
Philly - 1.1m white collar jobs

The numbers aren't so vast between DC and Philly these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Going by percentages is wise for comparing a city to itself, but for comparing two cities, it's foolish. Look at the raw numbers.

Yeahh it's realistically only 50% versus 40%.

Philadelphia is 60% either blue collar or pink collar but it's a huge metropolitan with a large white collar population (similarly to Los Angeles or Houston's situation).

My point initially wasn't to downplay anywhere- it was only to say that Washington DC is increasingly becoming a hard place for people of all socioeconomic levels to live prosperously whereas Philadelphia is up & down that same spectrum and has something for everyone.

I don't know where in Sam Hell cpomp took it as a "degrading statement" but this forum is sort of full of people like that.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times
A bit of both, though definitely more due to demand in the DC area. There appears to be a 50% residential cost premium in most areas.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Yeahh it's realistically only 50% versus 40%.

Philadelphia is 60% either blue collar or pink collar but it's a huge metropolitan with a large white collar population (similarly to Los Angeles or Houston's situation).

My point initially wasn't to downplay anywhere- it was only to say that Washington DC is increasingly becoming a hard place for people of all socioeconomic levels to live prosperously whereas Philadelphia is up & down that same spectrum and has something for everyone.

I don't know where in Sam Hell cpomp took it as a "degrading statement" but this forum is sort of full of people like that.
Yeah, I don't know about the "degrading statement" part came from, there's no shame in being blue or pink collar. I can't really see how that's insulting or degrading.

What struck me about your link were the places at the top of the list. Los Alamos, Boulder, Raleigh, Ann Arbor, etc. NYC at 56th, Los Angeles at 130th, Seattle at 31st.

I will say, DC is definitely the outlier on that list, however.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've recently heard two explanations for the disparity in the COL between these two cities.

Explanation #1:

Philadelphia has a greater supply of houses than DC. Therefore, the COL in that city is lower.

Explanation #2:

DC has more high-wage earners than Philly. Therefore, the COL in that city is higher.

What do you think?
Both answers are equally correct imo. Parts of Philly and parts of its micro cities like Wilmington,Camden,Trenton, are dense,old,poor,post industrial albatrosses. They kill metro Phillys avg home prices. You can buy houses in these parts for $30,000-$40,000, if you like to live dangerously.

If you took those sections out of the equation metro Phillys housing prices measure quite admirably.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I would go with #2. More people willing to pay the high amounts and more high earners. #1 is also a factor, but #2 more so... Put up the same style house in Philly vs DC, DC will be more expensive. The high demand came first to create the housing shortage. If Philly had high demand and plenty of jobs to go around, the housing shortage would also happen there.
True but it circles back around to Philly having an overabundance of old housing stock that people with limited means gravitated to. It outgrew its britches in the 19th century + first 1/2 of the 20th century then got real old and became a depository for the poor. Its poor parts are Cleveland x 4, makes "present day" high demand very difficult. Philadelphias high demand days were 150 years ago and who knows that day may cycle back in the future.

Washingtons historical past very different than Philly.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know about the "degrading statement" part came from, there's no shame in being blue or pink collar. I can't really see how that's insulting or degrading.
Yeahh I agree, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a blue collar or pink collar place.

I mean when you see the port sizes & the activity as well as global commerce that comes from land, sea, air, or road logistics- there's hardly anything to feel bad about. It's a strong sector of the economy to have & it's increasingly becoming more rare in America with the outsourcing.

I'm a logistics buff myself- I have a lot of appreciation for land, sea, air, & road transportation of goods & services. It's something that we lack here in Washington but as you mentioned "outlier" this place can best be described with that term for so many things.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:

The percentage projects the vibe and culture of the city though.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 PM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Indeed. DC has far more of a dichotomy between the upper crust and squalid poverty in the city proper. Philly has far more more "in between" these days.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Did you look at the list? The raw numbers are absurd. Los Alamos is #1 with a grand total of... 6300 white collar jobs. Nice.

If you sort it by raw numbers, the top 5 are:

NY
LA
Chicago
DC
Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City