Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:04 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Yes, and we have one 30 year old woman worth more than all of them combined. Chew on that.

lol there's such a shallowness to the reasons you (unconvincingly) claim that NYC is 'better', one cant help but laugh and cringe at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, and we have one 30 year old woman worth more than all of them combined. Chew on that.

lol there's such a shallowness to the reasons you (unconvincingly) claim that NYC is 'better', one cant help but laugh and cringe at the same time.

Exactly how I feel about your constant promotion of San Francisco. This thread is now getting even more ridiculous....I didn't think that was possible. My daughter and her husband spent some time in San Francisco twice last year (on business). Their first trip, my daughter didn't like it, at all. She was shocked at the number of homeless, and while she personally didn't see human feces on the streets, she heard other people talking about it.

A decade of homelessness: Thousands in S.F. remain in crisis - San Francisco Chronicle

Human feces map finds San Francisco's homeless | Reuters

While these problems are being addressed, they're far, far, from a "fix." Obviously, all cities have a homeless problem, but don't gloss over the severity of this problem in your beloved city.

By the way, my daughter liked the city better, their second time around, but she was prepared, then, for what to expect. She did say it was beautiful, and she wants to go back. I think your posts gloss over a lot, and I don't think those people living on the streets, much care about the expensive real estate.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
This thread is funny and all it comes down to are the characteristics people find important when choosing a city.NYC bad world class amenities that completely blow away SF in scope And scale. SF is a.nice quaint little uniform city. NYC has better diversity outside of.race and will accept anyone and everyone. SF is has a nice racial diversity makeup but caters to well off individuals. NYC is the center of the us and arguably the world. SF is the center of the bay area. And NYC owning SF in this poll.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:32 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Boston is easily the best comparison to SF in the U.S. This thread is basically a nonsense thread, as seen in the poll.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:47 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,069 times
^^^I really don't think so. There are some comparisons, mainly economic or with economic demographics/education-based population, but the two cities are more different than alike.

There is no "easily" best comparison to a city as unique as SF. The amount of comparisons between SF and Boston are probably equivalent, or perhaps even less, than the amounts of comparisons/analogies one can draw between SF and NYC (size/scale aside). Also similar are the amount of comparisons to Philly, LA, DC, and Seattle. Less apparent are comparisons to Chicago, Miami, Houston, and still less are comparisons to any other city.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:05 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A nyc summer night is a lot more humid than a San diego night. San Francisco's summers aren't exactly it's a strength, but the rest of the year is nice for the season.
I'm not comparing to a San Diego night--I'm comparing it to an average San Diego day in like October. But more humid, yes. However, it's not as unpleasant as people make it out to be.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not comparing to a San Diego night--I'm comparing it to an average San Diego day in like October. But more humid, yes. However, it's not as unpleasant as people make it out to be.
Maybe, but that's hard to argue with since we may not be listening to the same people. I haven't heard much inaccurate portrayals, but I've mostly listened to people living near or in the city.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
The ball drop in TS is shown all over the world, maybe not in real time though, just like festivities in London, Sydney, Hong Kong etc are broadcast here (also maybe not in real time). It is likely that 1 billion people watch it or see pictures at the least. No other American city's NYE celebration really gets this type of international exposure.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
NY for everything but the weather IMO.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:05 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
SF is always trying to convince people that they are NYC. NYC is never trying to convince people that they are SF.

I'm just old enough to remember when SF would scoff at the notion of being compared to NYC.

Amazing how much things have changed. I never thought I would live to see the day SF was neutered.

East Coasters dominate SF's political and social scene.

When Mark Zuckerberg ate a burrito at Dolores Park, the SF chronicle put it on the front page!

Even their congresswoman (Pelosi) is an east coast transplant.

*Le sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City