Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:25 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Yeah I am sure cocaine and heroin is extremely lucrative.
Miami is where the wealthy go when we made our money. Just about every rich person from the USA owns a house in this metro area or Naples metro area. It's because this area is fun. Unlike San Francisco, which is more boring.

But hey you have tech right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 PM

337 posts, read 405,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami is where the wealthy go when we made our money. Just about every rich person from the USA owns a house in this metro area or Naples metro area. It's because this area is fun. Unlike San Francisco, which is more boring.

But hey you have tech right?
Exactly. Miami is a place for retired geezers and drug lords.

Not a place to start a robotics company, cure cancer, explore interstellar travel, revolutionize the car industry etc. etc.

Miami is the right place for culture less, hedonist and other degenerates. I bet you fit right into the crowd out there.

I am brutally honest about most things. The crowd in Miami is absolute trash.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Not a place to start a robotics company, cure cancer, explore interstellar travel, revolutionize the car industry etc. etc.

Miami is the right place for culture less, hedonist and other degenerates. I bet you fit right into the crowd out there.
Miami is a place for people who don't need to be in point A to make a living. So we choose it because as a city, it's probably one of the better in the United States, not to mention some favorable taxes and rules on protecting primary residence.

Life here is a dream, I'm thinking of buying another condo near downtown where you can even drive your boat, park, take an elevator and be inside your place. This place is paradise.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:46 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:

I am brutally honest about most things. The crowd in Miami is absolute trash.
It's rather sad that this a very popular opinion of Miami held by lots of people.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It's rather sad that this a very popular opinion of Miami held by lots of people.
It's just sour grapes. Miami is many things, if you wanted to art exhibitions, operas, etc. There is a lot of that in Miami. Ofc, I don't care about any of that. I have an interior decorator select my art based on a theme for my places and I just pay and don't ask any questions. My fiancee is though, and it drives me nuts. I'm more a boat, beach kind of guy.

I do like the fashion shows. Besides NY and LA, we're the best in the country for that. Last year we hosted miss World, and I knew some of the judges so I could influence their votes.

But yeah I don't really care too much about Opera, Theatre, art galleries, call me uncultured.

Let me take my boat to the Bahamas, stop on a private island, enjoy a fine cigar, good wine and sun. That's life to me, you know nature.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would wager there are more extreme wealthy in Miami than SF. There certainly is far more high end real estate in Miami. SF probably has tons more middle class suburban types, though, meaning it has a much higher median income.

And Miami actually looks and feels richer than SF or the Bay Area.
This thread isn't about Miami...

Old 08-07-2015, 10:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would wager there are more extreme wealthy in Miami than SF. There certainly is far more high end real estate in Miami. SF probably has tons more middle class suburban types, though, meaning it has a much higher median income.
Just the city of San Francisco has 60% more households making $200k+ than the entire Miami-Dade County. Perhaps that doesn't count as "extreme wealth" but a higher threshold would be looking at a very small population so not a good gauge of wealth.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Just the city of San Francisco has 60% more households making $200k+ than the entire Miami-Dade County. Perhaps that doesn't count as "extreme wealth" but a higher threshold would be looking at a very small population so not a good gauge of wealth.
A household who earns 200k+ means on average, you have 2 earning members making 100k. This is far from wealthy. This is basically lower/middle class existence.

Miami has more high-end high-cost real estate. In fact more so than any other metro besides NYC and maybe LA.

The difference between Miami and San Francisco is the middle class. San Francisco has a bigger middle class. However, it has less wealthy residents as reflected in real estate values of the top selling homes/condos in Miami's case.

Miami benefits that almost every wealthy magnet from USA, Latin America, and Europe demand to have a home here. Well in a condo really. In Sunny Isles you have 2bdroom, ~1,500sqft condos going for 8 million.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
A household who earns 200k+ means on average, you have 2 earning members making 100k. This is far from wealthy. This is basically lower/middle class existence.
That's affluent almost everywhere (and yes, I'm familiar with affluent suburbs — I grew up in one). It's certainly not lower class, and not all middle (even in the wealthiest counties those households are at most 20% of the population).

Quote:
However, it has less wealthy residents as reflected in real estate values of the top selling homes/condos in Miami's case.
Many of those might be second homes rather than year around residents.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Many of those might be second homes rather than year around residents.
Most of the wealthy live in several locations instead of one. One home is for poor or middle class. However, many list their primary residence in Florida due to some favorable bankruptcy laws here concerning primary residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City