Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.47%
San Francisco 239 43.53%
Voters: 549. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:46 PM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times

Advertisements

They usually shut down a street for a brief exhibition match each year. Here are Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and John McEnroe playing in Midtown. Only in New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP1a5sIrELc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJT-wJ7oe8U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
That's name calling. Just as if I were to say you come across as deluded and pathetic.
Yeah, but I ignore it as I dont have a stick up my, never mind.

Quote:
Yes, New York has a greater sum of wealth. FINALLY you admit it.
These are statistical facts. You seem to think that its a matter of opinion. NY has more, but SF is still wealthier.

Quote:
I've already pointed out at the county level, there are several counties that supersede anything in the Bay (New York County included).
As far as median wealth, no urban counties in NY beat SF. Your bragging about farflung white suburban counties.

Im bragging about central counties.

Like I said: Santa Clara, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties put Philadelphia, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens to shame.

Anything else?

Quote:
Never said 1.7 million people were an inconvenience--you're the one obsessed with wealth. Which NYC has more of (should I bust out the GDP stats?).
New York is not wealthier than SF at any level.

So long as1.7 Million poor people and 3.7 Milllion uneducated adults are crammed into 304 sq miles-your hyperventilating about extreme wealth in Manhattan only makes NY look thirdworldish.

Quote:
Lmao. SF needs about 80 more billionaires to break even with NYC. Keep spouting off.
No, to be on NYs level, the Bay Area needs like 36 billionaires, instead of the 57 it does have.

Quote:
Casually interested? Ah, subtly backing out of a debate that isn't going your way. I'll pretend like I haven't caught on to your tricks. And again, name calling--the last resort of losers. Lol at not interested, like you haven't searched for and posted detailed facts--no need to be embarassed. Again, I see your tactics. Not fooling anyone, pal.
This is what I mean by going off the deep end and being way too emotionally invested. I cringed when I read this.

"tricks", "tactics", "name calling"---lol

It's **always** someone from Philadelphia who just can't stand to see SF be likened to MSAs or cities that are far larger. They can't stand that SF is tiers above their city as far as global recognition, corporations, wealth, power etc.

qworldorder is simply the latest incarnation of this never ending SF envy that eminates from back there.

yawns.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Fabolous shooting a new video on the Brooklyn Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8w4N7-J2Xs

Old 12-03-2014, 02:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,135,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, but I ignore it as I dont have a stick up my, never mind.

These are statistical facts. You seem to think that its a matter of opinion. NY has more, but SF is still wealthier.

As far as median wealth, no urban counties in NY beat SF. Your bragging about farflung white suburban counties.

Im bragging about central counties.

Like I said: Santa Clara, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties put Philadelphia, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens to shame.

Anything else?

New York is not wealthier than SF at any level.

So long as1.7 Million poor people and 3.7 Milllion uneducated adults are crammed into 304 sq miles-your hyperventilating about extreme wealth in Manhattan only makes NY look thirdworldish.

No, to be on NYs level, the Bay Area needs like 36 billionaires, instead of the 57 it does have.

This is what I mean by going off the deep end and being way too emotionally invested. I cringed when I read this.

"tricks", "tactics", "name calling"---lol

It's **always** someone from Philadelphia who just can't stand to see SF be likened to MSAs or cities that are far larger. They can't stand that SF is tiers above their city as far as global recognition, corporations, wealth, power etc.

qworldorder is simply the latest incarnation of this never ending SF envy that eminates from back there.

yawns.
There is no SF envy here.

Furthermore, I'm not even from Philadelphia--split time between NYC and Delaware, and now I just live in the wealthiest PA county nearby (since that's the end all be all of superiority). Quit bringing Philly into this NYC > SF slaughter. Philly is to NYC like Sacramento is to the Bay (oh, but bigger, and better connected). God forbid the day the two finally join CSAs (they're already a 29 million urban agglomeration). Can't wait to hear your proportional arguments, then.

NYC is tiers above SF as far as global recognition, corporations, wealth, power, etc. It's not even close. Why does this not compute for you? Lol, it's **always** someone from SF that can't stand not being the center of the universe. Newsflash: SF isn't even the primate city of its own state. Quit chasing waterfalls.

There's no emotional investment, here. I'm just calling you out. I "cringe" every time you fall back on the same tired arguments. "Per capita!" "Boxing above our weight!" "Philly sucks!" Switch it up, dude.

As far as suburban NYC counties, they're not far flung. The counties are small, and mushed together. Your "central counties" would be considered city proper for NYC. The distance between suburban NYC to NYC and central counties SF to SF is the same.

And as I said, Manhattan and several other counties are richer than Alameda, Santa Clara, and Contra Costa.

Me going on about extreme wealth? You opened up that can of worms. NYC has more billionaires, millionaires, and high income zip codes than the Bay. Deal with it.

I guess I'll stop hyperventilating now. Your move.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,135,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8w4N7-J2Xs
Dope

Old 12-03-2014, 02:18 PM

New York has ranked atop the Global Cities Index four consecutive times. San Francisco is ranked 22nd.

http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...6-4c8eaf984cd5

Old 12-03-2014, 05:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hmm, hip hop is actually a big negative for me....

Old 12-03-2014, 06:40 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
There is no SF envy here.
Sure buddy, whatever you say.

(winks)

Read 'em and weep

Median Household Income, 2013
San Francisco City $77,485
New York City $52,223

San Francisco Urban Area $76,632
New York Urban Area $64,897

San Francisco MSA $79,624
New York MSA $65,786

San Francisco CSA $76,216
New York CSA $65,547

Median Family Income, 2013
San Francisco City $95,421
New York City $58,012

San Francisco Urban Area $91,802
New York Urban Area $78,052

San Francisco MSA $96,298
New York MSA $79,347

San Francisco CSA $90,265
New York CSA $79,740

Adults with a Bachelor Degree or Higher, 2013
San Francisco City 53.0%
New York City 35.7%

San Francisco Urban Area 45.5%
New York Urban Area 37.7%

San Francisco MSA 45.2%
New York MSA 37.4%

San Francisco CSA 41.2%
New York CSA 37.2%

Old 12-03-2014, 07:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,614 times
Quote:
Forget sipping a glass of wine on the terrace of the Opera House beside Sydney Harbour - an online poll reveals that the world’s travellers would much rather be drinking orange juice on the Corniche in Abu Dhabi.

The market-research organisation, Ipsos, has conducted its first poll to find “The World’s Favourite City”. In February, over 18,000 “global citizens” in 24 countries were asked to rate cities as places to do business in, to live in, and to visit.

New York beat London and Paris to the overall top spot. Ben Page, chief executive of Ipsos, revealed the results of the poll at the Foreign Press Association in London. He said: “There are a handful of ‘superbrand’ cities. New York is the clear leader, but London and Paris, in joint second place, do very well indeed.”

Mr Page described Zurich as “the surprise star,” saying that Switzerland’s largest city is “The place the world’s public would most like to live”.

Sydney was soundly beaten into fifth place by Abu Dhabi. Destination New South Wales, which promotes Sydney worldwide, refused to comment on the results of the survey. Hong Kong, Singapore and Amsterdam also lagged well behind the UAE capital.

In tourism terms, Abu Dhabi has long been in the shadow of the neighbouring emirate, Dubai. Abu Dhabi has four flights a day from London, while Dubai has 14. In Lonely Planet’s 224-page Dubai & Abu Dhabi guide, only seven pages are devoted to the latter. However, Abu Dhabi is planning a world-class cultural hub, with a branch of the Louvre expected to open 2015. It will be followed soon afterwards by the inauguration of a Frank Gehry-designed Guggenheim Abu Dhabi.

Abu Dhabi, which came fourth in the list Saudi Arabia’s votes were critical to the success of Abu Dhabi, with the strongest showing for any city in the survey. But there was also support for the UAE capital from surprising quarters.

Brazilians preferred Abu Dhabi to Rio, and said they would rather visit the Gulf city than London or Los Angeles. Spanish people would rather live in Abu Dhabi than Madrid. And Abu Dhabi is rated as the world’s top city by more than twice as many Italians as voted for Rome.

British respondents in the survey expressed a preference for living in Abu Dhabi ahead of both Paris and Los Angeles.

The Foreign Office points out that the UAE is a conservative nation, with some “serious penalties for doing something that might not be illegal in the UK”. Punishable offences include homosexuality, sex outside marriage and public displays of affection. The FCO says: “There have been several arrests for kissing in public”.

Studying the voting pattern from individual countries in the Ipsos survey reveals an element of Eurovision-style block voting, combined with national pride.

Indonesians voted overwhelmingly for neighbouring Singapore. According to the Japanese, the best cities to live in are Tokyo and Osaka. Australians and Canadians voted strongly for Sydney and Toronto respectively. The French did much the same for Paris, though they conceded that London is a far better city in which to do business.

British voters rated New York, London and Sydney as the top three cities.

Ipsos’ singling out of “The World’s Least-Popular Cities” is also controversial. Mr Page said: “Across the 24 countries covered, Karachi gets nil points, with Tehran, Tel Aviv and Warsaw barely troubling the scorer”. Budapest, Brussels and Moscow were also poorly placed.

The Ipsos study is the second awards listing in a week to raise eyebrows in the travel industry. The short list for “Europe’s Leading Destination” at the World Travel Awards included Amsterdam, Barcelona, Paris and Venice. On Saturday, when the results were announced, first prize went to Yorkshire.

Gary Verity, chief executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, told BBC Look North: “It gives us great profile. Next year, with the Tour de France coming to Yorkshire, we will be the centre of Europe.”
The readers of Wanderlust, the magazine for independent travellers, gave a very different top three in the most recent awards. Kyoto in Japan was third, with Cusco in Peru second. The winner was the small Vietnamese city of Hoi An. The most successful big city was New York, in seventh place.
Quote:
The market-research organisation, Ipsos, has conducted its first poll to find “The World’s Favourite City”. In February, over 18,000 “global citizens” in 24 countries were asked to rate cities as places to do business in, to live in, and to visit.
Quote:
New York beat London and Paris to the overall top spot. Ben Page, chief executive of Ipsos, revealed the results of the poll at the Foreign Press Association in London. He said: “There are a handful of ‘superbrand’ cities. New York is the clear leader, but London and Paris, in joint second place, do very well indeed.”
Quote:
British voters rated New York, London, and Sydney as the top three cities.
Quote:

Argentina's favorite city is New York

Australia loves its native Sydney

Belgium rated New York as its favorite city

Brazil chose New York as the best, too

Canada hearts Toronto

China thinks Hong Kong is the greatest city

France loves Paris

Germany chose Berlin as its favorite city

Great Britain thinks New York is the best world city

Hungary rated Zurich the highest

India's favorite city is Singapore

Italy rated New York as its favorite city

Japan really, really loves Tokyo

Mexico chose Paris as its favorite city

Poland also chose Paris as the best

Russia picked Paris, too

Saudi Arabia loves Abu Dhabi

South Africa's favorite world city is New York

South Korea is very proud of Seoul

Spain voted New York as the best city

Sweden also chose New York

Turkey loves its Istanbul

And the United States hearts New York

NYC romps San Fran

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...n-8798691.html

Last edited by East River Views; 12-03-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sure buddy, whatever you say.

(winks)

Read 'em and weep

Median Household Income, 2013
San Francisco City $77,485
New York City $52,223

San Francisco Urban Area $76,632
New York Urban Area $64,897

San Francisco MSA $79,624
New York MSA $65,786

San Francisco CSA $76,216
New York CSA $65,547

Median Family Income, 2013
San Francisco City $95,421
New York City $58,012

San Francisco Urban Area $91,802
New York Urban Area $78,052

San Francisco MSA $96,298
New York MSA $79,347

San Francisco CSA $90,265
New York CSA $79,740

Adults with a Bachelor Degree or Higher, 2013
San Francisco City 53.0%
New York City 35.7%

San Francisco Urban Area 45.5%
New York Urban Area 37.7%

San Francisco MSA 45.2%
New York MSA 37.4%

San Francisco CSA 41.2%
New York CSA 37.2%
Sure, this is great. Is this the rubric we're all going by? What about this are you assuming makes everyone else envious? Yes, the Bay Area is proportionally wealthier and more educated than the Tri-State Area and with that comes a proportionally higher percentage of people who have some kind of higher education. That's undeniable. The difference isn't that severe, but it exists. There's a lot else going on and being argued though.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-03-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City