U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 AM

129 posts, read 418,682 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old male and have some job offers in both cities, and am deciding where my best fit would be.

I've come up with 3 factors that are the most important to me, and those are what I want to base my decision upon:

The 3 factors are:

1.) General Feeling of saftey in the city.

2.) Overall Friendliness of the people.

3.) Overall atmoshpere, and level of excitement that the city offers.

Based on these 3 factors, would you give the edge to San Fran or Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:52 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,995,907 times
Id give the slight edge to Chicago. Safety? Slight edge to San Fran. Most areas in Chicago are very safe, especially downtown, near west side and north sides. The south side has horrible areas (and good ones too) as is most of the west side. Friendliness? Chicago. Excitement? Chicago. Its just larger and has everything San Fran does, just in greater quantities.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 AM

31,598 posts, read 53,157,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id give the slight edge to Chicago. Safety? Slight edge to San Fran. Most areas in Chicago are very safe, especially downtown, near west side and north sides. The south side has horrible areas (and good ones too) as is most of the west side. Friendliness? Chicago. Excitement? Chicago. Its just larger and has everything San Fran does, just in greater quantities.
I can live with this assessment.

Why dont you visit both and decide for yourself?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 AM

82 posts, read 62,960 times
Well, I wouldn't listen to a damn word Steve-o says as he is obviously biased. Just look at half of his postings on here and you will see that they are in defense of Chicago. Honest, if expenses were not an issue, I would easily choose San Francisco. First, San Francisco is a VERY safe city. There are only a few pocket areas (hunters point, tenderloin) that I would be weary of. In terms of friendliness, I would give that to Chicago. Even though Chicago is a bigger city, it often feels like people in SF are just overall more rushed and less apt to talk to strangers. I would easily give the excitement / atmosphere to SF. SF has a limitless amount of things to do. After all, when tourists come to the United States, it is most often NYC or SF that they are coming to visit (Most Visited Tourist Attractions | ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-lists/most-visited-tourist-attractions-slide-15.html?partner=playlist&thisSpeed=20000 - broken link)), not Chicago. There is a reason for this. It's not to say Chicago sucks, but San Francisco is just an overall better city. Then take into consideration the weather... Money aside, this is a very easy decision.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Well, I wouldn't listen to a damn word Steve-o says as he is obviously biased. Just look at half of his postings on here and you will see that they are in defense of Chicago. Honest, if expenses were not an issue, I would easily choose San Francisco. First, San Francisco is a VERY safe city. There are only a few pocket areas (hunters point, tenderloin) that I would be weary of. In terms of friendliness, I would give that to Chicago. Even though Chicago is a bigger city, it often feels like people in SF are just overall more rushed and less apt to talk to strangers. I would easily give the excitement / atmosphere to SF. SF has a limitless amount of things to do. After all, when tourists come to the United States, it is most often NYC or SF that they are coming to visit (Most Visited Tourist Attractions | ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-lists/most-visited-tourist-attractions-slide-15.html?partner=playlist&thisSpeed=20000 - broken link)), not Chicago. There is a reason for this. It's not to say Chicago sucks, but San Francisco is just an overall better city. Then take into consideration the weather... Money aside, this is a very easy decision.
LOL

Its not that serious. This is after all, subjective to ones personal opinion. I happen to agree with you that San Francisco is more vibrant overall, but we also cover a much smaller area.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 AM

the way I see it,
We're comparing a Monet to a Van Gogh. Both are priceless.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM

694 posts, read 1,984,418 times
Monet > Van Gogh!!! His paintings are bigger, and there is more color and vibrancy in a Monet!!! Plus Monet paintings make me feel safe!!

j/k j/k

To the OP, I pretty much agree with the other posters about the two cities.

1) Safer: San Francisco
2) Friendlier: Chicago
3) Overall Vibe/Excitement: both have a great vibe and both offer you plenty to do. Chicago might have more, but San Francisco doesn't lack in variety of things to do. It depends on what you want to do more so than anything else honestly.

You didn't list this in your top criteria, but like anything in life, you always have to consider Cost. San Francisco is the most expensive area to live in the U.S. whereas Chicago is known to be much more affordable.

Does the salary for each job offer differ greatly? Are they pretty much the same?

Last edited by tenken627; 10-16-2007 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Monet > Van Gogh!!! His paintings are bigger, and there is more color and vibrancy in a Monet!!! Plus Monet paintings make me feel safe!!

j/k j/k
LOL

Good thing I didnt say Picasso.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 AM

692 posts, read 2,373,871 times
If you could afford San Fransisco at 22 why the hell not ?
Chicago will always be there.

Later in life at some neighborhood dive, over a beer,
you can tell your buds about the land of fruit and nuts.

...but you'll never forget a truly beautiful part of the country
and unique city with a vibe like no other.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM

3,567 posts, read 7,519,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
If you could afford San Fransisco at 22 why the hell not ?
Chicago will always be there.

Later in life at some neighborhood dive, over a beer,
you can tell your buds about the land of fruit and nuts.

...but you'll never forget a truly beautiful part of the country
and unique city with a vibe like no other.
Excuse me? Neighborhood dive? beer? The overwhelming majority of us do not dress in flannel to waddle down to a neighborhood dive. Those are actually more common San Francisco than in Chicago, despite whatever "boutique" feel San Fran struggles so valiantly to place on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City