U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 PM

1,543 posts, read 3,791,034 times

Advertisements

I used to live up in the Northwest,and it's pretty up there,but the Weather was Depressing and I was Bored.

I'll rather live in L.A than in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 PM

1,072 posts, read 754,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I used to live up in the Northwest,and it's pretty up there,but the Weather was Depressing and I was Bored.

I'll rather live in L.A than in Seattle.
yes I hear it is quite drizzly.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,041,683 times
I was in Seattle once (went to vancuver to). Only spent a few days in the area...

My impression....gloomy, overcast, drizzly...yep. That about sums it up. It'll never have the weather of LA. Maybe a little more intellectual and high tech, although I dont know what its like now.

LA, this year so far. You havent had to even think about the weather.

It was really windy last night, and the fires. In Jan, Feb, we had a cold spell, it was very cold for around here. Maybe a weeks worth of rain so far, but even thats just an inch or two at a time. No one around here worries about umbrellas or going into a store or something to get out of the rain.

This summer, it was a little hot, depending on where you are. It was much hotter last july, august though. Its just no contest with weather.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:58 PM

1,543 posts, read 3,791,034 times
Drizzly and Gloomy most of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATTY CATHY View Post
yes I hear it is quite drizzly.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM

56 posts, read 163,125 times
IT depends what you are looking for. My husband and I moved to LA 10 years ago before we had kids. It was fun for a little while but the image stuff here really got to us. Once we had kids, it really didn't work for us. We are finally getting out and moving back to New England. We have only visited Seattle but I found it to be much more down to earth and so green and beautiful. LA has sunny weather almost all of the time. I know lots of people really like it but I found it to be depressing. I think too much of anything isn't good. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM

413 posts, read 1,673,634 times
Let me add one thing then I'll shut up (maybe).

If you have any kind of depression stay away from Seattle. I have Seasonal Afffective Disorder which i get medicated for in the winters. Summer months I'm fine. Seattle would not work for me personally because of that so thats something to consider also.

I'm in total agreement with the person who hated the way temperature goes from sunny and warm one day, to gloomy and rainy and cold the next. It's not good in any way to have such unpredictable and chaotic weather patterns. I feel I can NEVER plan anything, even our wedding was ruined by the weather, storms came through at last minute and forced us to find an indoor pavillion. Weather can make all the difference depending on what type of person you are. Some are virtually unaffected by weather, others (like me) are highly sensative to it. My friends and family that have moved to SoCal are very appreciative of the weather and dont mind paying more to live there. It's like this: Pay more work more but be able to count on your plans almost always being on schedule, or Pay less work less and spend alot of your off time sitting around wishing it would get up to 30 degrees. Personally I want to enjoy every second of life I have on this planet and thats hard to do when its gloomy 250 days a year.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 18,707 times
My situation is very similar. I've rented in Santa Monica for the past 7 years (after coming from Manhattan), but am now considering a move to Seattle. My fiance is from Los Angeles, and has been here her whole life. We'd like to purchase a condo in Santa Monica, but prices are insane. My brother and business partner is moving to the Seattle area this summer. We're now considering areas like Capitol Hill in Seattle. The weather is a concern for my girlfriend, not so much for me (as a native from the North East). I love many aspects of living in Los Angeles, but mostly living in Santa Monica near the ocean (more for pollution/safety reasons than the beach itself). It's going to be a tough decision.

That said, your $130k will ensure ideal renting conditions in Santa Monica. That's about where we're at, and we live very comfortably in our $1350 1-bed, 1.5-bath luxury apt on the border of Santa Monica and west LA. Just wish we could afford the $400k+ prices for condos around here.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:06 PM

723 posts, read 2,737,731 times
If you have to ask, you should probably pick Seattle.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:03 AM
jge

10 posts, read 19,907 times
I heard something on NPR news yesterday that reminded me of an interesting concept that is often misconstrued, that is L.A. is fake. Los Angeles doesn’t envy prosperity but instead envies possibility. When I note L..A. I’m referring to West L.A., Hollywood, Studio City, ect. I have lived in both L.A. and Seattle. Seattleites tend to brag about how down to earth they are, especially in comparison to Los Angeles. However, I find that to be quite untrue. I was in a bar in downtown Seattle last year and one of the first questions people would ask is, “What do you do.” Relative to Seattle and places like it, this question is avoided at first out of respect. Los Angeles doesn’t envy prosperity but instead envies possibility. Believe it or not, people are much pickier about the people they associate with in a place like Seattle. Standards are more objective, especially when it comes to finances.

It seemingly goes so deep with many people choosing to follow dreams at high risk. Almost all of these people have the credentials to have more secure prosperity in different paths. This doesn’t just deal with entertainment but general entrepreneurship as well. L.A. is far from a corporate attitude.

What’s more valuable, prosperity or possibility. It’s one of the biggest differences between Seattle and L.A

Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM

394 posts, read 1,340,176 times
That Seasonal Affect Disorder is interesting...explains why when I was a kid back in IN, I would get depressed during the winter. Even though there was snow, not always, and even into my adult years, just depressed.

Then the Navy sent me to Chicago in Feburary. More depressed...Ever been to boot camp? Not fun...But then, Pensacola, Biloxi, and Hawaii...I was the happiest I've been in my life. Even though it rained daily in Hawaii, there was more than enough sunshine and warmth and the rain was often beautiful and nice....

When I got out of the Navy, I tried HI for six months, than moved back to IN. Wasn't feeling it as winter approached, so moved to the Florida Keys. NICE! Very warm, see a pattern here. Some people love the cooler temps and dreariness, but I'm not "Only happy when it rains" I like it when it's a balance...This winter in Denver I was depressed again, very cold and miserable, coming from 8 years of Tropical Weather. I'm headed to LA very soon, cause one more winter just ain't happenin!

I think you need to go where the sun shines for you, whether that be rainy, dreary weather, which as a poet, I have to admit, does have it's lure, or the draw of sunny warm weather...Take your pick, you'll be making about 100 more a year than me to start with! Thank goodness for the GI Bill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City