U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 68,775 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
My wife and I are trying to figure out which one to choose to move for about two years with a possibility of staying there for a longer time. We have been researching and are still undecided. We would be making ~ 130k and would prefer to live in either UCLA Westwood or Santa Monica vs downtown Seattle close to Harbor View medical center . Weather is not a big issue for us. More relevant issues are traffic and cost of living, we would be renting.

We have read the threads and they have been of great help, we were just wondering how it applied to our specific situation.

Thank you very much

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 PM

78 posts, read 316,842 times
If you live in Westwood or Santa Monica, would you be close to work? Traffic is probably worse in Westwood and Santa Monica, but if you live near where you work, it isn't a problem. I work and UCLA and when I used to live in Santa Monica, it took me 40 min to get home afterwork. I only had to drive 6 miles!

Rent is pretty high in Westwood and Santa Monica. Easily >$2000/mo for a 1BR apt... Have you thought of living in West LA? I used to live in a part of West LA, north of Santa Monica and West of Bundy that was a great neighborhood. It took me only 15 min to get to UCLA.

I don't know much about Seattle, though.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:01 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,547,103 times
My take on Seattle (from an L.A. native who has also moved around and traveled a lot):

A lovely small city set in amazing natural beauty. A fairly intelligent town if you stay close in, not so much as you venture out into the suburbs (lots of mullets, speedboats and ATVs). There are many cultural opportunities for a city it's size. There are gorgeous houses and very nice condos available. "Affordable" housing is much lower than in the city but may be in places you don't want to live. It's comparatively cheap compared to L.A. but the nicer neighborhoods in town are on par with the L.A. area. My favorite neighborhoods are Capital Hill and Queen Anne. One of the most pleasant things to do is hopping on a ferry. There are many places to go including Alaska. Why don't I live there? IMHO the only nice month weather wise is July. I can't deal with the rain and gloom. The rain doesn't fall all at once, It just lingers and does it very slowly. The temperature is uncomfortably low making for a cold, wet existence for most of the year. Many people don't mind it, I do. The population in general is also chilly to newcomers. The running joke is:
"What's it like living in Seattle"
"It's terrible"
People either love Seattle or hate it, just like L.A.

Some people are afraid of huge cities, I feel insulated by them. That with the weather, culture, vibe and hum...I love it here and will never live anywhere else again. I've already done my own research. I love the fact that I can put the top down on my convertible all year, also being able to open my windows at home pretty much all the time. EVERYTHING is available here. Within 15 minutes walk/drive/subway, I have almost 2 dozen theatre productions, a plethora of cafes, art galleries, parks and notable architecture. I can walk to basically anything I need and I can do it all year. I don't have to worry about walking my dogs in the snow.

Have a good visit in the place you intend to move. L.A. and Seattle are both good choices, depending on you.
Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:27 AM

5,620 posts, read 13,306,784 times
Yeah. It really depend on where you will be working. But, with 130k a year and if it's just you two and you could handle a 1 bed apt., I would go with LA just b/c LA is more fun and has a lot more to do, especially in the SM/UCLA area.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 68,775 times
Thanks guys, this was very helpful.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,579,913 times
LA and Seattle are night and day. Usually people who prefer one don't particularly care for the other. I think most people who have spent time in both cities are able to determine pretty quickly and easily which of the two agrees with them and their lifestyle/personality the most.

Needless to say, you will do just fine on an annual income of $130K in LA. You will be able to rent a place in Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Century City, Beverly Hills as well as most other areas. Many options should be available to you. LA is fabulous when you have money and options.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM

31,578 posts, read 53,123,475 times
Id pick LA cause Im much more at home there, but I think Rancho Park is perhaps a cheaper(relative cause its not really cheap) alternative to Westwood or Santa Monica....still very nice, not too far, but not as expensive imo.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM

635 posts, read 1,560,205 times
If you like warm weather, do not move to Seattle. Summer nights dip in the 50's very often. The area is very cool much of the year!

Weather.com Averages

Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 PM

413 posts, read 1,673,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
If you like warm weather, do not move to Seattle. Summer nights dip in the 50's very often. The area is very cool much of the year!

Weather.com Averages
Exactly and it's gloomy too, not as gloomy as people say it is, but still not sunny like L.A. most the time.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:12 PM

10 posts, read 77,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Exactly and it's gloomy too, not as gloomy as people say it is, but still not sunny like L.A. most the time.
I live in Seattle and I hate it. It is overcast most of the time and it rains a lot and its cold...not as cold as Chicago or Denver, but its cold to me. We did get a lot of snow last year and our electricity was out for a week during the big snow storm. The inside of our home was 25 degrees with NO heat available! Most people went to hotels to stay warm. I like warm weather and that is why my husband and I go on vacation 3 times a year....so we can get away from the rain and cold weather and go somewhere warm. It only gets warm here for about 1 1/2 months during the summer which only gets up to the mid 80's or high 70's. The rest of the year its gloomy, overcast, rains, and is cold. Its so depressing. Yes, there are some days where the overcast is gone and its sunny outside, BUT its still cold or breezy. It seems like we get a lot of wind storms each year now....we had one the other day and the power was out for 2 days. This happens about 2-3 times a year. Also, in WA the temp. one day could be 70 degree and then the next day it will be 50 degrees. Its not ever constant. So, one day your in shorts and flip flops and the next day you are freezing cold with pants and a jacket on. I do not like the constant temp change. I would rather have a 2-5 degree temp change each day then a 10 degree temp. change. It makes a big difference. I have lived here 18 years and I am now moving to CA next year. We are moving to Pasadena. I will enjoy the nice warm weather and nice winters. I am so happy to get out of here. If you like rain and overcast gloomy weather then move to WA. If you like sun and warm weather move to CA. It just depends on what kind of weather you like. If WA were sunny and warm more often then we would probably stay because it is a nice place to live, BUT the weather sucks!!! Hope this helps. Good Luck. If you need any other information, let me know. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City