Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Fransisco or Seattle for a vacation?
San Fransisco 55 78.57%
Seattle 15 21.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
49ers are going to the Super Bowl this year, says this Bears fan.
Well, if the 49ers can string together a 3 game win streak, then I can definitely see it.

You guys want Alex Smith? He's for sale! He doesn't make nearly as many mistakes as Cutler, and he and Rodgers have a little rivalry going on.

I will say that:

CLink > Candlestick (oh god, no question on this one)
AT&T > SafeCo field

I do think that Seattle deserves an NBA team though (you guys want the Clippers? Only like 5% of NBA fans in LA will miss them, trust me), and I'm excited to see whether or not the Warriors will move into SF on a bayside arena.

Haha enough about sports.

I think from an initial visit, San Francisco is definitely more stunning at first glance than Seattle.

However, after living in the Bay Area for 3 years and spending a huge amount of time in Seattle, I'm beginning to appreciate everything that Seattle has to offer. I definitely think its an underrated city and my favorite city in the PNW (IMO, Vancouver is a bit overrated and Portland is ok in my mind).

I am a native Californian, so I naturally feel more comfortable in SF, but Seattle is making extremely huge strides to becoming a really awesome city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
49ers > Seahawks

Oh, this isn't about Sunday Night Football?
Guess who just got spanked

Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Guess who just got spanked
Seems that the Niners can't string together a 3 game win streak. It's been WWLWWLWWTWWLWWL all season long.

Based on this, the Niners will win next week and their first play off game. Depending on whether GB drops one in Minnesota (they're 6-1 at home, everyone forgets), SF will be out in the NFC Championship or NFC Divisional round.

Russell Wilson is exciting as hell to watch. He definitely deserves offensive rookie of the year in my mind over RG3 and Luck.
Colin Kaepernick is just as exciting but needs to fine tune his decision making. That will come with experience.

Exciting that the West is actually relevant in sports.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Seems that the Niners can't string together a 3 game win streak. It's been WWLWWLWWTWWLWWL all season long.

Based on this, the Niners will win next week and their first play off game. Depending on whether GB drops one in Minnesota (they're 6-1 at home, everyone forgets), SF will be out in the NFC Championship or NFC Divisional round.

Russell Wilson is exciting as hell to watch. He definitely deserves offensive rookie of the year in my mind over RG3 and Luck.
Colin Kaepernick is just as exciting but needs to fine tune his decision making. That will come with experience.

Exciting that the West is actually relevant in sports.
West has always been relevant in sports

Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
I definitely would say SF. Both cities are great but SF has WAYYYY more to offer.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
SF may not be the largest or best city in any singular category, but it is probably the most well rounded vacation city in the United States.

ocean views, check
mountain views, check
wine country, check
redwood forests, check
beaches, check
urban city, check
architecture, check
large bridges, check
walkable, check
interesting side cities, check
history, check
diversity, check
cool neighborhoods, check
hiking, check
year round mild weather, check
great food, check
great nightlife, check

Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
San Francisco, definitely. I'd put Seattle in the top 10 for US cities to visit, easily, but I'd put San Francisco in the top 2 or 3 (at worst). It is one of America's great urban cities with incredible architecture, food, and culture, and, after NYC, I believe it has the best urban fabric in the country. It is a very cohesive city with tons of fun, vibrant, and unique neighborhoods (not to mention a super vibrant and interesting downtown) and you can walk everywhere. It's super bustling and there is a buzz and an energy that is hard to match. You never know what you're going to see or run into in SF, and I mean that in the best possible way. Without question, SF is a first-rate, world class tourist experience. (As an aside, I recommend avoiding Fisherman's Wharf, but most of the other touristy [and non-touristy] stuff in SF lives up to the hype. There's just too much great stuff to see to waste your time at Fisherman's Wharf)

That said, Seattle has a very good downtown and waterfront as well, and some cool neighborhoods adjacent to downtown and scattered throughout the City. It's just not in the same league as SF as a tourist destination - very few cities are.

FYI, I lived in SF for 5+ years (and the Bay Area for 11) and have been in Seattle for over 7 years now. I can give a ton of recommendations and idea for what to do in both cities, if you're interested.

Last edited by orzo; 12-30-2012 at 04:15 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
San Francisco, definitely. I'd put Seattle in the top 10 for US cities to visit, easily, but I'd put San Francisco in the top 2 or 3 (at worst). It is one of America's great urban cities with incredible architecture, food, and culture, and, after NYC, I believe it has the best urban fabric in the country. It is a very cohesive city with tons of fun, vibrant, and unique neighborhoods (not to mention a super vibrant and interesting downtown) and you can walk everywhere. It's super bustling and there is a buzz and an energy that is hard to match. You never know what you're going to see or run into in SF, and I mean that in the best possible way. Without question, SF is a first-rate, world class tourist experience. (As an aside, I recommend avoiding Fisherman's Wharf, but most of the other touristy [and non-touristy] stuff in SF lives up to the hype. There's just too much great stuff to see to waste your time at Fisherman's Wharf)

That said, Seattle has a very good downtown and waterfront as well, and some cool neighborhoods adjacent to downtown and scattered throughout the City. It's just not in the same league as SF as a tourist destination - very few cities are.

FYI, I lived in SF for 5+ years (and the Bay Area for 11) and have been in Seattle for over 7 years now. I can give a ton of recommendations and idea for what to do in both cities, if you're interested.
Second all of this.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
Well, all I will say about Seattle is you should go after the 4th of July. That's when you're for sure to have good weather. I always say it is rainy 80% of the time and overcast at least 90% of the time between late September and late June. Between those times is nice, sunny, and not hot.

But in terms of sheer number of things to do and whatnot, I think San Fran is better. The infrastructure to support tourists really isn't in Seattle.

Now of course if you're into niche things, like aerospace, or a specific type of forest and mountain scene or skiing, then yes Seattle fits the bill more. But for general tourist appeal, which is what I think you're into, then San Fran.

The only thing Seattle has going for it is it's cheaper, by a hair.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Sf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City