Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tally vs Columbus
Tally 9 37.50%
Columbus 11 45.83%
Im a troll so I wont participate 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:19 PM

638 posts, read 978,564 times

Advertisements

Which city has more college pride. With these two cities catering to some of the largest universities in America Ohio State University and Florida State University. Which do you think is overwhelmingly more college students and college pride/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
I wouldn't say either are true "College Towns" mainly because they are state capitals. Neither city has a significant pro sports team so the College is prided throughout. I havent been to either so I can't say but from an outsiders point of view they are both pretty even.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:35 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
They're on totally different levels. Columbus is not exactly what I'd call a town. It's a thriving city with diverse industries, and it happens to have a very big university as well. The Columbus metro is home to 1,967,066 people; the Tallahassee area only has 373,255. Columbus is five and a half times bigger than Tallahassee.

In this case, Columbus would be better matched with other larger state capitals with big state schools, like Austin, Texas or Salt Lake City, Utah.

Tallahassee would be best matched up with other small capitals with big state schools, like Baton Rouge, Louisiana or Lincoln, Nebraska.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 01-05-2015 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 04:57 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
They're on totally different levels. Columbus is not exactly what I'd call a town. It's a thriving city with diverse industries, and it happens to have a very big university as well. The Columbus metro is home to 1,967,066 people; the Tallahassee area only has 373,255. Columbus is five and a half times bigger than Tallahassee.

In this case, Columbus would be better matched with other larger state capitals with big state schools, like Austin, Texas or Salt Lake City, Utah.

Tallahassee would be best matched up with other small capitals with big state schools, like Baton Rouge, Louisiana or Lincoln, Nebraska.

This is a good way to compare them. Although Baton Rouge is a lot bigger than Lincoln or Tallahassee.

Lincoln has a much larger downtown area than Tallahassee, which has a downtown the size you would expect in a town of maybe 50K.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Columbus is a large city so would not fit the term college town

Old 01-10-2015, 08:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I've been to Tallahassee a few times, and maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but it seemed kind of sleepy for a town with a major university in it. Columbus seems to have more ambiance, though part of that could be a function of its size.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:05 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
I think it should also be noted that besides Florida State, Tallahassee is also home to one of the largest HBCUs in the country, FAMU (Florida A&M). That adds another 10,000+ college students. Considering Tallahassee has both a large PWI and a large HBCU, I cant imagine how many towns could be more of a college town than Tallahassee.

over 41,000 students at FSU + over 10,000 students at FAMU in a city of 186,000.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 01-10-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 09:26 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Interesting comparison. I grew up not far from Tallahassee and have been there more times than I can count and I actually lived in Columbus, Oh a couple of years.

I was surprised by how much of an Ohio State town Columbus was but then the school is huge (much larger than Florida State even) . On game day I remember seeing Ohio State decorations everywhere including the local super market. During my first months living there I was mostly around college students at work and lived near campus for a while so I was completely immersed in the college aspects of the town. During my last two years there however, I was working elsewhere and so was away from that part of Columbus life. I still saw alot of signs of Columbus being a college town but it's easy to see that there's a lot lot more to Columbus than the University.

In Tallahassee there's not nearly as much going on away from the university as in Columbus, it being much much smaller. Life in Tally revolves around not only Florida State but Florida A&M. Especially night life which would be totally dead without college students from those two schools.

Tally is also the State Capital (same as Columbus) so both towns share that in common outside of their colleges but Columbus also has major manufacturing, Banks, Insurance companies, Military base, head quarters to major corporations, a number of big suburbs, three interstates highways instead of one. and a host of other advantages.

Something people in North Florida can identify with and visualize is Columbus, Ohio is like if you dragged Jacksonville, Fla away from the water to Tallahassee. (minus the NFL team).

Last edited by Galounger; 01-11-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 12:35 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I think it should also be noted that besides Florida State, Tallahassee is also home to one of the largest HBCUs in the country, FAMU (Florida A&M). That adds another 10,000+ college students. Considering Tallahassee has both a large PWI and a large HBCU, I cant imagine how many towns could be more of a college town than Tallahassee.

over 41,000 students at FSU + over 10,000 students at FAMU in a city of 186,000.
Now Columbus does actually have 13 colleges and universities in the metro. When you add Ohio state and them Columbus has the largest concentration of college students within a set radius ( I believe it's like 60 to 90 miles) after Boston. But this in a metro if about 2 million now

Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
On a general level, there's no comparison between Tallahassee and Columbus. However, when you take FSU's 41K students, plus FAMU's 10K students, and TCC's 14K students, that's a total of 65K college students, which is nothing to sneeze at. Combine that with all the state government functions, Tallahassee is somewhat of a Columbus in miniature, just without the insurance and banking industries that Columbus also has!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City