Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Portland 115 49.57%
Philly 117 50.43%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Color code & match and tell me where I've said anything false or contradictory to what you've said.

Besides the part where you mentioned I was giving out wrong information (which I didn't), you post summed up pretty much exactly what I said except you were trying to "burn" me for inaccuracies when no such inaccuracies existed.

Most probably not.

I brought suburbs into it to state that if I lived in the Portland area, it would be the Washington suburbs. There would be no need to pay state income tax on that side, could work in Portland, buy things in Oregon, & come back home to roll up a J in Washington.

That's all.
Fine since you re-worded it. It's Washington County. Again Portland is in Multnomah county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Fine since you re-worded it. It's Washington County. Again Portland is in Multnomah county.
What on Earth are you talking about. Washington County? No one was talking about that in the first place, you probably confused "Washington suburbs of Portland" for that when I meant the Washington state suburbs of Portland (like Vancouver, WA).

That's why I mentioned no state income tax & legalized cannabis. I don't know where on Earth you got your ideas from but I'm not retarded, if I said no state income tax in Washington- I obviously meant Washington state since Washington County is in Oregon and Oregon has state income tax. Same with the cannabis.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-07-2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
I brought suburbs into it to state that if I lived in the Portland area, it would be the Washington suburbs. There would be no need to pay state income tax on that side, could work in Portland, buy things in Oregon, & come back home to roll up a J in Washington.

That's all.
Wrong. Work in OR, you will pay OR income taxes... even if you live on the Washington side.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
What on Earth are you talking about. Washington County? No one was talking about that in the first place, you probably confused "Washington suburbs of Portland" for that when I meant the Washington state suburbs of Portland (like Vancouver, WA).

Duhhh, why do you think I brought up no state income tax & legalized cannabis if I wasn't talking about the Washington suburbs (to clarify- WASHINGTON STATE SUBURBS) of Portland?

Doesn't matter what county Portland is in, it's in the state of Oregon. To rephrase what I said, I'd rather live in the Washington suburbs of Portland (as in WASHINGTON STATE).
There is no such thing as "Washington state suburbs of Portland." Vancouver WA is not a suburb of Portland. Vancouver WA is a city in Washington. Look at a map.

Oregon has no legalized pot it has state income tax. You can look that up too.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Portland for me. Cleaner, way more laid back, far less big city crime, excellent downtown, beautiful natural beauty and scenic sites and getaways, pretty good nightlife and restaurant scene. Philadelphia is much bigger and offers much more but to actually live I'll take Portland's vibe. It's more my style between these two.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Oregon has no legalized pot it has state income tax. You can look that up too.
I already knew that. I was referring to the parts of Portland Metropolitan in Washington state. Any more confusions?
Quote:
There is no such thing as "Washington state suburbs of Portland." Vancouver WA is not a suburb of Portland. Vancouver WA is a city in Washington. Look at a map.
Yeahhh Vancouver looks like a nice suburb of Portland, reminds me of like a Edison, Plano, Scottsdale type of suburb. It has it's own cachet but at the end of the day, people commute to Portland for work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Wrong. Work in OR, you will pay OR income taxes... even if you live on the Washington side.
Figured as much but I didn't know that part.

How about live & work in Washington? I'd assume that's a safe bet.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-07-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I think it would be very cool to live in Portland for a while but the location and lack of sun might get to me eventually.
I'm voting Philadelphia for the greater variety of urban/walkable neighborhoods, food, diversity, weather, better downtown, better arts/music/sports scene, location near swimmable beach/mountains/NYC/DC and more defined/living city culture and traditions.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-07-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I already knew that. I was referring to the parts of Portland Metropolitan in Washington state. Geez lady, why so paranoid?

Yeahhh Vancouver looks like a nice suburb of Portland, reminds me of like a Edison, Plano, Scottsdale type of suburb. It has it's own cachet but at the end of the day, people commute to Portland for work.

Figured as much but I didn't know that part.

How about live & work in Washington? I'd assume that's a safe bet.
Parts of Portland Metropolitan in Washington State? . Oh please post a map and show us where these are. What are they called? I would love to know.

I'm not paranoid, I am falling over with laughter. I think I am going to go over to the Vancouver WA forum and tell them they have just acquired a piece of Portland. I am certain they will be thrilled.

Sorry OP for the thread hijack this is just too funny. Next thing you know he will be talking about Chicago, California. I apologize to you. I promise to stop now.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times
Quote:
Parts of Portland Metropolitan in Washington State? . Oh please post a map and show us where these are. What are they called? I would love to know.
Portland metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The U.S. Census Bureau's definition for the MSA is currently all of the following counties: Clackamas County, Oregon; Columbia County, Oregon; Multnomah County, Oregon; Washington County, Oregon; Yamhill County, Oregon; Clark County, Washington; and Skamania County, Washington.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for asking. I'll be delighted to share.

Clark County, WA & Skamania County, WA.

Here's a map of the Portland Metropolitan Area (note the two suburban counties in WA):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...metro_area.png

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about what the US Census Bureau defines as "the Portland area". I'll highlight the WA portion when it comes up:
Quote:
The U.S. Census Bureau's definition for the MSA is currently all of the following counties: Clackamas County, Oregon; Columbia County, Oregon; Multnomah County, Oregon; Washington County, Oregon; Yamhill County, Oregon; Clark County, Washington; and Skamania County, Washington. The Washington counties are separated from Oregon by the Columbia River.
In fact here's the entire link for it: Portland metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
I'm not paranoid, I am falling over with laughter. I think I am going to go over to the Vancouver WA forum and tell them they have just acquired a piece of Portland. I am certain they will be thrilled.
Please do, let them know they're a suburb too from my end. Thank you.
Quote:
Sorry OP for the thread hijack this is just too funny. Next thing you know he will be talking about Chicago, California.
Such a place exists?
Quote:
I apologize to you. I promise to stop now.
Even your urban area (a measure of continuous uninterrupted development) breaks through to the WA side, check Portland, OR-WA at 24th: List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the comparison to Philadelphia, I don't know Philadelphia well enough and it's been a really long time since I've been there to have a formidable opinion of it either way. I need to see it again soon.

Last edited by JMT; 01-16-2013 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City