Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 PM

281 posts, read 426,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
See the users location (and all of his / her posts).
I said larger than Columbia not Charleston, anyways I meant to say
1. Greenville
1. Charleston
3. Columbia
4. Myrtle Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 02:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgartm1185 View Post
South Carolina - I know people are going to disagree, but I'm pretty sure Greenville has a bigger affect on SC's economy than Columbia does.

1. Greenville
2. Charleston
3. Columbia
4. Myrtle Beach
This thread has nothing to do with the economy. It has to do with reputation and someone would have to be delirious to argue that Greenville's reputation is larger/more well-known than Charleston's. By some measures, Myrtle Beach could be second. Either way, Columbia and Greenville would be more or less equal in this regard.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This thread has nothing to do with the economy. It has to do with reputation and someone would have to be delirious to argue that Greenville's reputation is larger/more well-known than Charleston's. By some measures, Myrtle Beach could be second. Either way, Columbia and Greenville would be more or less equal in this regard.
Ok, whatever you say.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Ok, whatever you say.
You'll be in a better position to analyze the veracity of my statement once you graduate high school and live somewhere other than Greenville.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:55 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
Am I the only person who has never heard of Greenville, [North? South?] Carolina?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Am I the only person who has never heard of Greenville, [North? South?] Carolina?
Both Carolinas have a Greenville. The SC one is worth a visit. Nice location in the Appalachian foothills with a revitalized downtown that's considered something of a model.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:57 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Illinois:

1) Chicagoland (pretty obvious: largest metro area in the state; third largest metro in the country; location of Northwestern and University of Chicago; center of culture, art, commerce and transportation not only for IL but for most of the Midwest)
2) Springfield (state capital; political notoriety; civil war history; ties to Lincoln, who is probably the most noted person to live in the state)

3) Peoria (known microcosm of the U.S. "Will it play in Peoria?"; headquarters of Caterpillar; regional city)

4) Champaign/Urbana (home to flagship U of I; tech start-ups and part of the silicon prairie; large college town)

5) Bloomington/Normal (home to ISU, Illinois Wesleyan and State Farm; low unemployment; strongly white collar)

6) MetroEast (while the actual second-largest metro in IL at approx. 700,000 people, largely negative reputation due to localized areas of high crime)

7) Quad Cities (more like the cities of central IL in a way yet pretty far removed from another other metros in the state, home to John Deere)

8/9) Rockford/Decatur (high unemployment, stagnant job growth, loss of good blue collar jobs have hurt both of the areas; Decatur is fortunate to be home of ADM; Rockford gets a lot of population flight from the Chicago area, which can be both good and bad)
I'd largely agree with this as someone who's from the Metro East, but is now living in Chicago. Also, in terms of perception, I'll add some comments that are similar to what I typically hear when those areas come up:

1. Chicagoland (where the majority of the state's population is, in addition to the city of Chicago)
2. Springfield (The capital. It goes without saying, really)
3. Peoria (Middle America that's used for the testing of new products)
4. Champaign/Urbana (college town, home to U of I)
5. Bloomington/Normal (college town about halfway between Chicago and St. Louis, home to ISU)
6. Metro East (the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis. Many people, especially those in Chicagoland, forget that it's even apart of Illinois. For example, I get the question "How could you live in Illinois but still be 15 minutes away from St. Louis?" a lot. Also, if they have heard of the area they assume it all must be a ghetto like E STL or economically depressed. It's not)
7. Quad Cities (In all my life in the Metro East and Chicago, no one has ever brought them up. Seriously)
8/9. Rockford/Decatur (Hell on Earth)

Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Both Carolinas have a Greenville. The SC one is worth a visit. Nice location in the Appalachian foothills with a revitalized downtown that's considered something of a model.
You're the first person I've heard recommend Greenville (SC) to anyone.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:37 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
NEW YORK STATE

1. New York City: obviously...
2. Rochester: Of all the Upstate cities, Rochester has arguably the most esteemed university outside of SU (actually ahead of SU in some respects), has a blooming technological field, and although its growth rate isnt large, the fact that it is growing at all puts it above all the other Upstate cities. No other major city in the state besides the City is growing, population or economically...Keep in context that Roc isnt a close number 2 to NYC, but it is the state's second best city, pound for pound...
3. Buffalo: Am aware that it and Rochester are actually more alike than different. However, I believe Rochester's progressiveness is enough to bump Buffalo to third wheel, even given Buffalo's past as one of the nation's elite cities....
4. Albany: It was tough considering Albany here. But I think from an in-state perspective, to NYer natives, Albany is the next best thing outside of the top 3. I personally enjoy Syracuse more, but I am trying to remain unbiased. There's a pretty significant gap from Buff/Roc (whichever you would consider no. 3) to Albany, but there is also a pretty significant gap from Alb/Cuse to the rest of the state...Albany wields power as the capital, and is actually pretty artistic and hip for a city its size. Is considered a co-anchor of its MSA, but any person who's actually spent time here knows its the Alpha city...
5. Syracuse: Could flip with Albany, depending on criteria or personal preference. But the fact that SU is the powerhouse that it is, and the money that it is able to generate for the city, is enough to place it fourth or fifth...

Best of the rest...there is a free fall from 5th place to the rest of the state, and the order of importance isnt really that important. However, I think most would include Yonkers, Binghamton, Niagara Falls, Utica, Rome, and Scehenectady in their BOTR...NYS really has some porous, depressing cities outside of the top 5...
This

Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
You're the first person I've heard recommend Greenville (SC) to anyone.
You're really young and have very little exposure to these sorts of issues. I assure you I'm not a minority when it comes to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City