Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

When considering each MSA's reputation, I'm assessing a combination of its importance, economy, quality of life, recent progress, and future outlook. Population helps, but it's not the be-all-end-all in terms of reputation or importance.

PENNSYLVANIA

1. PHILADELPHIA

Obviously Philadelphia is the largest, wealthiest, most diverse and most important MSA in Pennsylvania. City government reform, though gradual, is well underway, and will only enhance the city's potential in the future.

2. PITTSBURGH

A generation ago, Pittsburgh was the first major U.S. city to be thrown away, but now it's the first major U.S. city to be recycled, emerging stronger than ever with a diverse and highly-skilled economy.

3. HARRISBURG

Being the state capital lends it some extra gravity, and it has a surprising amount of diversity for a medium-sized MSA in Pennsylvania. Logistically, it's in a great place too, being an hour and a half to two hours from Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore and Washington DC.

4. ALLENTOWN/BETHLEHEM

Situated an hour north of Philadelphia and an hour west of New York, Allentown/Bethlehem is the fastest-growing MSA in Pennsylvania, and has significant potential to be absorbed by the Northeast megalopolis.

5. LANCASTER

Lancaster is the epicenter of Pennsylvania Dutch Country, and has always been viewed pretty favorably as a place to live. It's growing pretty briskly too, with over 500,000 people now living in Lancaster County.

6. YORK

York is Lancaster's grittier twin brother, and its southern fringe near the Maryland state line has become an exurban cluster for Baltimore thanks to Pennsylvania's more lax land use laws. Still, it has strong bones, and is home to a large Harley-Davidson plant.

7. SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE

Both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are a bit too far from New York and Philadelphia to enjoy a large degree of spillover from either city, so change is happening more slowly there than anywhere else in eastern Pennsylvania.

8. ERIE

Sometimes it's easy to forget that Erie is in Pennsylvania, being a Great Lakes city with a built environment more similar to Cleveland and Buffalo. Still, being the only lakefront city in the state is a definite plus, and gives it extra potential to become a destination.

9. STATE COLLEGE

This is Pennsylvania's college town, and it's located right smack-dab in the center of the state. It is rather isolated, though, and there's no telling yet if the Penn State/Jerry Sandusky scandal will have a long-term negative effect on its reputation.

10. READING

Reading is a bit of an outlier, being a majority-Hispanic city in the Northeast, but it also suffers from scary levels of poverty, and the population growth hasn't brought much economic growth along with it. Expect it to be absorbed by the Philadelphia MSA soon.

11. WILLIAMSPORT

The smallest and most isolated MSA in Pennsylvania is Williamsport, which remains relevant due to the Little League World Series and the discovery of the Marcellus Shale gas field, which has brought energy jobs to the region.

12. ALTOONA

Altoona is the least diverse MSA in the entire United States, with a stagnant economy and a somewhat isolated setting in the mountains. The nearest MSAs are Johnstown and State College, neither of which are very large.

13. JOHNSTOWN

If there's a "redneck" city in Pennsylvania, then it's Johnstown, which has had a declining population for almost 100 years, a free-falling economy for over 60 years, and a decidedly lower-middle-class lifestyle.

I'd do a list for Georgia right now if I wasn't so tired and foggy from the medicine I've been taking. Maybe somebody from Georgia can do it for me in the interim. If not, then I'll do it soon. In the meantime, rank the MSAs in your state by their reputation using the factors I listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Tennessee's are more or less in order of population, with the exception of the bottom 3. Jackson is a larger and more established city than Morristown or Cleveland. And I wouldn't say that either of those two is doing so strongly in the other categories to overtake the importance factor.

1. Nashville
2. Memphis
3. Knoxville
4. Chattanooga
5. Tri Cities (technically a CSA)
6. Clarksville
7. Jackson
8. Cleveland
9. Morristown

Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
My rankings of Minnesota:

1. Minneapolis/St Paul - The big city of the state by a wide margin. It is the economic, financial and cultural hub of Minnesota and a large swathe of land beyond.

2. Duluth - It is economically depressed and kind or run down but it has so much soul. It has interesting people, giant hills, a big port on the largest lake in the world and real wilderness on its' doorstep. It has its' own culture and is a one of a kind place in America. The port at the end of the world.

3. Rochester - It has a high standard of living and decent growth. It is a one industry town but when the one industry is the Mayo Clinic that is not a bad thing to be. A good place to raise a family. It is a bit bigger than Duluth but it is also kind of sterile and boring.

4. St Cloud - These are the people who send Michele Bachmann to Congress.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
For it is tough after NYC, because it will depend on what factors you consider.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
1. New Orleans
2. Baton Rouge
3. Lafayette
4.Shreveport
5. Lake Charles
6. Alexandria
7.Monroe
8.Houma

Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
1. New Orleans
2. Baton Rouge
3. Lafayette
4.Shreveport
5. Lake Charles
6. Alexandria
7.Monroe
8.Houma
I'm not overly familiar with the goings on of Louisiana, but I'm just curious why you have Lafayette ahead of Shreveport.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'm not overly familiar with the goings on of Louisiana, but I'm just curious why you have Lafayette ahead of Shreveport.
Most likely my Francophile/South Louisiana bias. Shreveport is known for rooting for the Cowboys and being an extension of East Texas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Most likely my Francophile/South Louisiana bias. Shreveport is known for rooting for the Cowboys and being an extension of East Texas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Ha! Gotcha.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
For Georgia, Atlanta and Savannah are tops for different reasons. Because they play different roles, it's difficult to say who's #1 and #2 but for the sake of this discussion I'll just put them in the same top tier.

After this it's Augusta which gains most of its notoriety (outside the state) for the Masters.

Then it's Columbus and Macon, which don't really have any special or unique general appeal.

Then everywhere else.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times
Default Texas

1) Austin

2) Houston

3) San Antonio

4) DFW

5) Bryan/College Station

6) The Valley

7) El Paso

8) Midland/Odessa

9) Lubbock

10) Amarillo

11) Corpus

12) Beaumont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City