Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbus vs. Minneapolis
Columbus 49 27.68%
Minneapolis 128 72.32%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM

4,190 posts, read 3,229,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This again, isn't a fair comparison especially when you take in the entire Twin Cities region. The twin cities are essentially Columbus and Cincinnati combined. Not quite by population but it feels that way. Cbus is a neat town though, by far the most attractive place in Ohio for a young professional and that's why it's population surge shows it.
The trusty "not a fair comparison" card is once again played to explain Columbus's lopsided defeat.

The population of St. Paul and Minneapolis combined don't equal that of Columbus, yet it's "not a fair comparison."

Yes, I understand MSP is bigger metro area, but how weak is it to say "hey no fair" when being compared to cities that are actually half your population and size. Wow. Only in a Columbus thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,964,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
My mistake, a river that means anything.
Means anything in what context? It's not big enough for commercial traffic, but it's used for boating, fishing, and provides a nice backdrop for Downtown with the new riverbank parks. What else is a river supposed to do, exactly? I'm not sure what your point is, other than to continue your obvious disdain for the anything related to Columbus. You remind me of a certain Minneapolis poster.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:59 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,964,189 times
Quote:
The trusty "not a fair comparison" card is once again played to explain Columbus's lopsided defeat.

The population of St. Paul and Minneapolis combined don't equal that of Columbus, yet it's "not a fair comparison."

Yes, I understand MSP is bigger metro area, but how weak is it to say "hey no fair" when being compared to cities that are actually half your population and size. Wow. Only in a Columbus thread.
Case in point. The metro size does play a role in development, amenities, etc. I'm not sure why you're being dishonest here.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:05 PM

7,073 posts, read 16,654,165 times
Quote:

I have no dog in this fight. Admittedly I do prefer Columbus due to better weather and living near there for a few years. I think it has slightly more momentum for young folks. I just mean to say the Twin Cities are a major metro! Cbus is a midsized metro.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:09 AM

57 posts, read 116,745 times
I'm sure the Twin Cities are wonderful, but there's no way I could tolerate the winters there and this is coming from a fan of snowstorms/blizzards. Extreme cold, high snow probabilities from early October to mid-April? Nope, I'll pass. But kudos to those who can.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,884,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osubrett2 View Post
I'm sure the Twin Cities are wonderful, but there's no way I could tolerate the winters there and this is coming from a fan of snowstorms/blizzards. Extreme cold, high snow probabilities from early October to mid-April? Nope, I'll pass. But kudos to those who can.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,580,028 times
Quote:

StP and Mpls combined might be slightly less than the population of Columbus, but combined they are also half the land size of Columbus. Imagine taking Columbus, cutting it in half land-wise (while maintaining the same pop), and putting up two distinct downtowns 10 miles apart, then you have MSP.

Sure both could annex some suburbs to help them shoot up the population list (or they could combine to become a denser Detroit sized city), but as a resident of the area I enjoy the number of different cities that make up our metro.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:44 AM

57 posts, read 116,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Can you dispute my statement? If anything, "early" October is a stretch, but certainly not mid-late October.

-April 2018, MSP recorded 26.1" of snow the whole month with a 14.6" snowstorm between 4/14 and 4/15.
-Largest snowstorm in MSP recorded history, started October 31.
-December, January, and February with negative degree mean minimum temperatures.
-Earliest snowfall on record is in September.

Just to name a few.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,790,499 times
Quote:
Can you dispute my statement? If anything, "early" October is a stretch, but certainly not mid-late October.

-April 2018, MSP recorded 26.1" of snow the whole month with a 14.6" snowstorm between 4/14 and 4/15.
That was also the largest snowstorm the Twin Cities have ever had in April. This year's April was a fluke of historical proportions. Usually all the snow has melted by late March and we have green grass by mid April and leaves on the trees a week later.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:11 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,884,581 times
Quote:

-Largest snowstorm in MSP recorded history, started October 31.
-December, January, and February with negative degree mean minimum temperatures.
-Earliest snowfall on record is in September.

Just to name a few.

you're cherry picking extreme, one-off weather events that are decades apart and fabricating a premise that they are somehow normal in order to clumsily attempt to make a ridiculous point...you've obviously never spent time in Minneapolis and especially not in October or April

it has snowed in Columbus before in October and May, what conclusion would you draw from that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City