Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think is better for me?
Charlotte, NC 8 47.06%
Naples, FL 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM

112 posts, read 258,646 times

Advertisements

I'm a 27 year old guy with an IT degree who currently lives in the Daytona Beach area, and I need some insight about a decision I'll be making. Basically it comes down to this.... I can't decide to move to Naples, FL or Charlotte, NC. These are two cities that I love dearly. I have family in both cities. I've been to both Naples and Charlotte many many times and know both well. I love the idea of moving out of the state that I've called home my whole life, but also am nervous about leaving the state I've called home my whole life. The reason I've picked these two cities is because of family. I have to be around family. So of these two cities, which ones is better for a young guy who wants to use his college degree to the fullest and plans on starting a family in the next 5-7 years. Weather is not an issue for me in this decision. I'll let weather play a roll in where I live when I'm old and retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Seems to me you'd have many more professional opportunities in Charlotte, but in this current economic climate, I'd probably let the job decide.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM

390 posts, read 938,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Seems to me you'd have many more professional opportunities in Charlotte, but in this current economic climate, I'd probably let the job decide.
With an IT degree, he pretty much has the luxury of choosing the city in which to live. Must be nice

Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 PM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,242,302 times
Naples

I had a chance move there back in 95 and still regret it.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,177,614 times
Naples. Nice weather, beaches, palm trees...it's practically the Caribbean!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothehilt View Post
I'm a 27 year old guy with an IT degree who currently lives in the Daytona Beach area, and I need some insight about a decision I'll be making. Basically it comes down to this.... I can't decide to move to Naples, FL or Charlotte, NC. These are two cities that I love dearly. I have family in both cities. I've been to both Naples and Charlotte many many times and know both well. I love the idea of moving out of the state that I've called home my whole life, but also am nervous about leaving the state I've called home my whole life. The reason I've picked these two cities is because of family. I have to be around family. So of these two cities, which ones is better for a young guy who wants to use his college degree to the fullest and plans on starting a family in the next 5-7 years. Weather is not an issue for me in this decision. I'll let weather play a roll in where I live when I'm old and retired.
After re-reading this part of your post, I'm going to go ahead and recommend Charlotte. While the economy there isn't quite as good as it used to be before the economic downturn, there are still jobs to be had there, particularly for those with skills and an educational background associated with higher demand positions, such as those in IT. You've got the banks (Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc.) and several other large companies there including F500 headquarters, and Charlotte is known as a city that's very friendly to young families. Naples on the other hand skews quite a bit older, being a retirement/tourist destination, and has a much smaller economic base. Being that weather isn't an issue for you, I'd look into Charlotte first and foremost. If you find it difficult to land a job there, then I'd go for Naples.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,658,949 times
Young educated individual??? Naples will not be a good option. It's full of old people and has nothing going on. Yes, it's naturally quite pretty, but that aint gonna pay the bills.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,443,407 times
Naples sucks dude... Go to Charlotte. What jobs are in Naples? Move to Naples if you want to be a professional snowbird and play golf with people who work in NYC, Boston etc while they are on vacation half the year. Naples is also a snooooooze fest and has some of the most humid/sticky weather in Florida.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,364,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Naples sucks dude... Go to Charlotte. What jobs are in Naples? Move to Naples if you want to be a professional snowbird and play golf with people who work in NYC, Boston etc while they are on vacation half the year. Naples is also a snooooooze fest and has some of the most humid/sticky weather in Florida.

If it was me it would be Naples all the way, are ya kidding...Much more money oppurtunities as you alluded to the snowbirds, etc. Charlotte no...NAPLES IS STUNNING. WTF is wrong with playing golf in January at 85 degrees? Did one of the Charlotte homies pay you to say this?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
If it was me it would be Naples all the way, are ya kidding...Much more money oppurtunities as you alluded to the snowbirds, etc. Charlotte no...NAPLES IS STUNNING. WTF is wrong with playing golf in January at 85 degrees? Did one of the Charlotte homies pay you to say this?
Are you basing this on your own preference, or the OP's who clearly stated, "So of these two cities, which ones is better for a young guy who wants to use his college degree to the fullest and plans on starting a family in the next 5-7 years. Weather is not an issue for me in this decision. I'll let weather play a roll in where I live when I'm old and retired"???

I think people sometimes forget that some folks actually look for real world advice on places to move to based on certain personal criteria in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City