Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's it more like?
Philadelphia 37 68.52%
Washington DC 7 12.96%
I'm saying neither and sticking to it 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
So I guess judging an entire cosmopolitan city's style based on what the most ratchet Section 8 ghetto natives wear is a measure of the whole city's style.

I also suppose that all of those people who get paid for a living to talk about fashion all day are also dead wrong because some random dude on C-D with a bruised ego said so.

DC may not be New York. But DC is fashionable in its own right whether you admit it or not. Until you pull up legitimate articles saying people in DC dress like they are from Alabama, then you have no real argument. Baltimore often makes the worst dressed cities list for a reason.

Baltimore 3rd worst dressed in country says Travel + Leisure - Baltimore Sun

Saying the entire city of DC can't dress makes you a hater, buddy. Sorry. Good ol' fashion East Coast out-of-towner hate. DC is not a fashion capital either, but saying Philly dresses better is a heavily biased subjective lie.

And not everyone thinks Philly is some fashion capital either, because its NOT. That title in America goes to NYC and NYC alone. Philly has many well-dressed people. But it is no fashion mecca like you are trying to imply.

Phila. on Travel+Leisure worst-dressed list - Philadelphia Business Journal
Hey, I really don't want a fight. I promise. I actually agree with some of your points. However, the list you posted has Baltimore at #3 , DC at #14 and Philly at #19. So if we were going off of that silly list, that would make Philly the most fashionable out of the 3. No? or am I missing the point? again Im am NOT looking for a fight.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:

And not everyone thinks Philly is some fashion capital either, because its NOT. That title in America goes to NYC and NYC alone. Philly has many well-dressed people. But it is no fashion mecca like you are trying to imply.

Phila. on Travel+Leisure worst-dressed list - Philadelphia Business Journal
Did you actually read the article you listed? Or did you just read the title.

This is the reason they gave Philadelphia a bad rating:

Quote:
And if Philadelphians could cut back on the frequency with which they don licensed sports team apparel, something that apparently lost it points in the eyes of T+L, maybe the city wouldn’t have been on the worst-dressed list at all.
“In Philly, it’s more about sports than style,” Travel+Leisure says.
Really? Really? REAAAAAALLY? I hardly EVER see anyone wearing a sports jersey on your normal day. The only time people wear sports jerseys is on GAME DAYS.

You're going to trust Travel and Leisure? HAHA. It's clear they are making this about sports and nothing else. Guarantee not one of them have step foot in Philadelphia.

Also, on your "list" of worst dressed cities. Philadelphia was 19th D.C. came in a 14th worst dressed and Baltimore came in at 3rd worst dressed.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
So I guess judging an entire cosmopolitan city's style based on what the most ratchet Section 8 ghetto natives wear is a measure of the whole city's style.
How are Bowie, Mitchellville, Accokeek and Upper Marlboro "Section 8" and "ratchet?" You see the same styles out there.

Quote:
People can be country from anywhere. New Yorkers wearing cheap corner store leathers with the box swirls and huge baggy Akademiks jeans from 2003 is just country. I have seen ghetto people in Brooklyn still wearing Phat Farm and Mecca. Philadelphians wearing Timbs in the dog days of summer is just plain country.
"Country" is saying words like "errrea" and "yung." Philadelphia is northern black culture. DC is southern/Mid-Atlantic black culture. Big difference.

Quote:
I also suppose that all of those people who get paid for a living to talk about fashion all day are also dead wrong about DC because some random dude on C-D with a bruised ego said so.
What's with all of the ? Wasn't that a Shanene thing?

Anyone who thinks DC has "style" should be shot and hanged.

Quote:
DC may not be New York. But DC is fashionable in its own right whether you admit it or not. Until you pull up legitimate articles saying everyone in DC dresses like they are from Alabama, then you have no real argument.
LOL.

Quote:
Saying the entire city of DC can't dress makes you a hater, buddy. Sorry. Good ol' fashion East Coast out-of-towner hate. DC is not a fashion capital either, but saying Philly dresses better is a heavily biased subjective lie.
Isn't "subjective lie" oxymoronic?

Quote:
And I'm not even originally from DC or Philly or even the East Coast, I'm from California. So you are getting an unbiased perspective from me.
Um, I don't know where you're from Mr. City Data member since September 2012. Been around these parts a long time, huh?

Quote:
Who said Philly was a "fashion mecca?" I said we are trend setters, which is true, and DC is not. I said that we have fashion sense and DC does not. That's largely true. Please take it from someone who's lived in both cities.

Kay, thanks.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Hey, I really don't want a fight. I promise. I actually agree with some of your points. However, the list you posted has Baltimore at #3 , DC at #14 and Philly at #19. So if we were going off of that silly list, that would make Philly the most fashionable out of the 3. No? or am I missing the point? again Im am NOT looking for a fight.
I'm still waiting to see this DC style...

Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Wow! You love our style. Stop playing. DC does it's own thing. Foams, NB, BOSS, HH, etc...... Philly and style is an oxymoron. Can't get over the fact that Philly is filled with fat dudes with beards wearing capri's listening to Baltimore club music. It's a blower. LOL

Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Trendsetters???? GTFOOH. Philly is Mid Atlantic culture. Cats in NYC think you are country son. Dudes in Philly dye their beards and their scalps to look like they have hair. Let's be real. The Philly accent has a southern twang to it. Listen to a cat like Cassidy say the word ocean or boy. The only two cities that don't have a twang are NYC & Boston.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
I agree that today, DC's soul music is a bit lacking. But c'mon now. DC helped write the Bible when it comes to R&B music.
I know this is not the direction this conversation is going, but DC also has a great history when it comes to punk music that I wish Philly could match.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I know this is not the direction this conversation is going, but DC also has a great history when it comes to punk music that I wish Philly could match.
Riiiight. Even people in DC couldn't name one "punk" band from the city. Everybody in Philadelphia knows Boyz II Men (and the world for that matter).

Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM

All jokes aside, what's up with dudes in Philly dyeing their beards and scalps?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Trendsetters???? GTFOOH. Philly is Mid Atlantic culture. Cats in NYC think you are country son. Dudes in Philly dye their beards and their scalps to look like they have hair. Let's be real. The Philly accent has a southern twang to it. Listen to a cat like Cassidy say the word ocean or boy. The only two cities that don't have a twang are NYC & Boston.

Video Cassidy Interview On The Breakfast Club Issues With Meek Mill, Relationship With Swizz Beatz - YouTube

Cassidy sounds country? lol. I think you're confusing boy with "Bull" Bull is something Philly people interject ALL THE TIME, its their slang. "Me and my one bull" or "He's a young bull" I think even Bajan has used it in this very thread lol. But still that's not the same thing as saying boy. boy..is boy.

Now..with the Maryland/DC accent..sounds quite southern. And this video to me is showing of that. "Muurrlin" in the house!

DC accent part 1 - YouTube

More on the Baltimore accent

The Wire (Felicia 'Snoop' Pearson Store) - YouTube

With having lived in Philly for years, going to Baltimore quite often (I'll be down there next month), and meeting people from DC..I can say one can definitely spot someone from Philly over someone from Maryland/DC. Philly has a clear and distinct northeastern accent. Whereas DC and Baltimore (to a lesser extent but still evident) has a southern influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City