Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's it more like?
Philadelphia 37 68.52%
Washington DC 7 12.96%
I'm saying neither and sticking to it 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not the point. Those people provide examples of Philly "swag" that inspire the dress of a lot of Philadelphians (and vice versa). I mean, would you rather just make a blanket statement about style in both cities without providing any evidence whatsoever? Pictures of celebrities that are from the city is more evidence than empty statements.
None of the cities are 100% stylish. Just like I wont say nobody and Baltimore or Philly can dress. If you defend Philly, you might as well defend Baltimore too since it doesn't apply to everyone here.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
LOL. People were wearing t's and jerseys way before Beans rapped about it. I would give philly partial credit with the beards; Rick Ross and a hand in that as well.
Yeah, people in Philadelphia were wearing T's and throwbacks before Beans rapped about it. But nobody else was. That was a thing that started in Philly, spread to Delaware and Jersey, and then made its way to NYC. The same thing happened with box cuts. And the same thing is happening with Sunni beards. Freeway was the first rapper anyone ever saw with a beard. And now you see people in Baltimore and DC rocking them with the cuffis. Biters.

DC is known mostly for Go-Go, which has yet to make it out of the region, and rhinestone/tye dye tee shirts. And Looney Tune jackets. And Shooters' garbage clothing. And slouchsocks. And Nike Boots. If you think that's more stylish than a whole entire genre of music and dress that Philadelphia helped usher in, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,640 times
Quote:
DC doesn't have an ounce of the artistic energy and creativity of Philadelphia. And that applies to their music and their fashion.
The fact that he believes this is admirable. But delusional. DC is full of suits, as far as Dc's "fashion sense." Ive never witnessed or heard anybody attribute DC for being creative in anyway. The one thing i can say about DC as far as having any ounce of an identity fashion wise (Even baltimore to a lesser extent) is every dude there has dreads. Even that isnt really a DC thing, just the dudes down there think its dope to have dreads I guess.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
None of the cities are 100% stylish. Just like I wont say nobody and Baltimore or Philly can dress. If you defend Philly, you might as well defend Baltimore too since it doesn't apply to everyone here.
Well, now you're back tracking. You said pretty boldly that "NYC and DC are more stylish than Philly and Baltimore," but now you're countering with "it doesn't apply to everyone." You can't make a generalization and then criticize someone for doing the same.

In general, Philadelphians are much more style conscious than Washingtonians. We are largely a city of pretty boys. Do you really see cats walking around Southeast DC with razor tight shape ups? Has DC had any impact on style and music in the last 20 years? I mean, really? Philly and Brooklyn were really the first two places that made rockin' big, bushy natural hair a big fad. That whole flavor permeates our city.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Well, now you're back tracking. You said pretty boldly that "NYC and DC are more stylish than Philly and Baltimore," but now you're countering with "it doesn't apply to everyone." You can't make a generalization and then criticize someone for doing the same.

In general, Philadelphians are much more style conscious than Washingtonians. We are largely a city of pretty boys. Do you really see cats walking around Southeast DC with razor tight shape ups? Has DC had any impact on style and music in the last 20 years? I mean, really? Philly and Brooklyn were really the first two places that made rockin' big, bushy natural hair a big fad. That whole flavor permeates our city.
I'm not back tracking. You thought I was making a blanket statement about all four cities. If I would've said "everybody in Philly can dress," or "Only people in NYC have better fashion sense than Philly," would we still be having this conversation? Same question applies to you too, Sirgreendown.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
The fact that he believes this is admirable. But delusional. DC is full of suits, as far as Dc's "fashion sense." Ive never witnessed or heard anybody attribute DC for being creative in anyway. The one thing i can say about DC as far as having any ounce of an identity fashion wise (Even baltimore to a lesser extent) is every dude there has dreads. Even that isnt really a DC thing, just the dudes down there think its dope to have dreads I guess.
They think looking all scraggly with dreads, nappy beards and dingy white tee shirts is "cool."

Remember when we were rocking the tied up grey hoodies with white tee underneath and butter Timbs? Shortly thereafter, you started seeing Baltimore cats rocking it. And then DC cats started rocking it, albeit with Looney Tune characters on the back of their hoodies.

Then when moved on to white tees. And then they followed.

Then we moved on to colored polos, fitted caps, and the button ups buttoned all the way up to the collar. Baltimore followed.

Why are they jocking us so hard? Produce your own Jill Scott, Roots, Musiq, etc. Get your own styles.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:

U mention DC styles from 10 years ago.... What was philly wearing then and now?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
They think looking all scraggly with dreads, nappy beards and dingy white tee shirts is "cool."

Remember when we were rocking the tied up grey hoodies with white tee underneath and butter Timbs? Shortly thereafter, you started seeing Baltimore cats rocking it. And then DC cats started rocking it, albeit with Looney Tune characters on the back of their hoodies.

Then when moved on to white tees. And then they followed.

Then we moved on to colored polos, fitted caps, and the button ups buttoned all the way up to the collar. Baltimore followed.

Why are they jocking us so hard? Produce your own Jill Scott, Roots, Musiq, etc. Get your own styles.
Timbs, White T's, Polo, and button ups didn't start in Philly..You're going too far now. What about dudes riding around in Crown Vics and listening to Baltimore club music in Philly, did that start in there too?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
U mention DC styles from 10 years ago.... What was philly wearing then and now?
Well, back when I was a young bull, I would go to the market in some grey Polo sweats, a white tee, Timbs, and a dark blue Polo banner jean jacket with the patches coming down the sleeve. I'm so Philly LOL! That was my favorite jacket back in the day.

I got this leather jacket my senior year of HS with a racing collar and small zippers going across the front. It was so hot at the time.

I still have a closet full of Polo sweaters and Marithe-Francois Girbaud shirts I have not worn in about 13 years.

Some guys were really smooth dressers. They basically dressed the way Bilal and Black Thought dress.

My tastes and observations have now changed now that I'm older LOL.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Timbs, White T's, Polo, and button ups didn't start in Philly..You're going too far now. What about dudes riding around in Crown Vics and listening to Baltimore club music in Philly, did that start in there too?
Timbs? That was us. We were rocking Timbs when New Yorkers when rocking Lugz. And when Washingtonians were rocking Chucks.

White tees? Yep, that's us, too. Harlem was pink tees.

I didn't say we started button ups. I said we buttoned our shirts all the way up, which is our style. That was copied by Baltimoreans.

And nobody drives Crown Vics in Philly. That's a DC thing. The car of choice in Philly, at least when I was in high school, was the Pontiac Bonneville.

But a number of cats do like club music (especially in Jersey). Not me, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City