U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 PM

2,575 posts, read 3,340,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
500k? I know you're exaggerating.

Sounds like a high curve. Last I saw DTLA employed just under 180k, so you're seriously telling me it has the power to draw 320k additional people apart from the 180k that work there? Sounds like a big exaggeration on your part, I would find 320k total more reasonable (similar to CC Philly and DTSF) more realistic. 500k in 5 sqmi is a density of 100k per sqmi and you're not anywhere close to Manhattan.
He's not exaggerating although he's quoting numbers on the high end of what I've seen reported. I agree that somewhere around 300,000 is more reasonable, although I suspect that it may even be lower than that. And that would include all of the hourly workers in the garment district (ie sweat shops), warehouses, and other manufacturing in greater downtown. The white collar workforce is probably well under 200,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM

886 posts, read 1,293,825 times
If that's the case then I doubt there's 500k in just 5 sqmi, where I work in Canary Wharf it has a daytime density of 115k, total population 240k in 2.13 sqmi. Although this is the second CBD of London after CoL, I really doubt DTLA is matching this density and I'm saying this out of personal experience.

I think 240k-320k is more likely for DTLA in a 5 sqmi area, that wouldn't surprise me especially if it's core density is going toe to toe with Philly's but 500k in just 5 sqmi, yeah I'm going to call BS.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM

630 posts, read 811,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I was joking! TriBeCa? SoHo?? Hello?!? These are the hottest neighborhoods in the City (and the country, actually). Brewcrew obviously knows nothing about NY.
What a relief! I was worried if I should put NY out of my "D" downtown list. NY is my favorite!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,373,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Philly, Houston, Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, Atlanta, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland and LA are least used by it people in the metro area.
For Philadelphia, at any given time, there are at least 80k people who live in downtown, at least 50k tourists, at least 250k people who commute in from the suburbs and at least 40k students who go to school in Center City. That is not including all of the other city residents and students who are in Center City who do not live there to shop or eat or any other reason. There are at least 180k people within a 2 mile radius of city hall not including students, which would be roughly another 100k students in University City.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,458,307 times
Does anyone have more recent stats on US CBDs than this?

http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,003,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Then I guess you've never been to Hudson river park, Washington market park, the room, bar89, theater bar south of Houston. Those were my usual spots Thurs-Sunday and there were always big crowds.

Doesn't sound like you've expanded your horizon much in NYC, SoHo, Tribeca, and LES are some of the very best urban nabes in the country.
Its all relative, a person living in Astoria, will more likely visit Central Park or go to Costco in Harlem more then go downtown. A person living on Long Island will more likely visit the Theater District or take in a game at MSG rather then go Downtown. A person in Great Neck is more likely gonna eat a good meal at le bernardin in Midtown then some place downtown. It doesn't mean they don't go downtown but the other parts of NYC are probably more likely visited among its own metro residents then downtown.

All I'm trying to say is that the Bridge and Tunnel crowd is going to stick to the more Touristy places like Times Square, Central Park, Rock Center, in the city and most likely not venture to unfamiliar places like downtown.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM

21,966 posts, read 30,873,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Its all relative, a person living in Astoria, will more likely visit Central Park or go to Costco in Harlem more then go downtown. A person living on Long Island will more likely visit the Theater District or take in a game at MSG rather then go Downtown. A person in Great Neck is more likely gonna eat a good meal at le bernardin in Midtown then some place downtown. It doesn't mean they don't go downtown but the other parts of NYC are probably more likely visited among its own metro residents then downtown.

All I'm trying to say is that the Bridge and Tunnel crowd is going to stick to the more Touristy places like Times Square, Central Park, Rock Center, in the city and most likely not venture to unfamiliar places like downtown.
Not sure I totally agree

The Bridge and Tunnel crowd is more historically associated with nightlife, and are probably more associated with busying up the hotter nightlife areas. Tongue and cheeck on the Jersey shore type crowd infiltrating Manhattan

Many of the other areas you mention are touristy (not really B and T crowd IMHO) and Central park, well it attracts everyone

Teenagers holding up signs in front of the Today show in Rock Center are not the B&T crowd

Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM

21,966 posts, read 30,873,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Does anyone have more recent stats on US CBDs than this?

http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf
This has some good info

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/r...c2010sr-01.pdf

Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM

630 posts, read 811,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
For Philadelphia, at any given time, there are at least 80k people who live in downtown, at least 50k tourists, at least 250k people who commute in from the suburbs and at least 40k students who go to school in Center City. That is not including all of the other city residents and students who are in Center City who do not live there to shop or eat or any other reason. There are at least 180k people within a 2 mile radius of city hall not including students, which would be roughly another 100k students in University City.
The rest of the metro aren't saying, "Oh, let's head to Dt. Philly." They're going to nearby small towns' downtowns or King of Prussia. I still stand by what I said. You can have a million people living, and it will still be the same. This city doesn't have enough of a draw or alot of retail like Nordstrom, Bloomies and others to bring them to Downtown Philly. It should change in the future as the city improves its downtown and expands its retail options. If I say Houston is the same case, no one will dispute that. I think the same for Philly.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM

432 posts, read 461,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
The rest of the metro aren't saying, "Oh, let's head to Dt. Philly." They're going to nearby small towns' downtowns or King of Prussia. I still stand by what I said. You can have a million people living, and it will still be the same. This city doesn't have enough of a draw or alot of retail like Nordstrom, Bloomies and others to bring them to Downtown Philly. It should change in the future as the city improves its downtown and expands its retail options. If I say Houston is the same case, no one will dispute that. I think the same for Philly.
Huh? No we don't? Most philly residents chill in downtown philly. You seriously don't know anything. Ill give you KOP but what do you expect it's the second biggest mall on America and the biggest on the east coast. Is it wrong if we chose KoP to hill at other than downtown. I haven't heard anyone say DT Philly isn't an option especially in the metro area. Also your from the bay. What do you know about Philly? Exactly, nothing. Your posts sound so unreal. It's like saying most SF residents go to its surrounding suburbs to go hang out and shop because DT SF isn't good for its residents. That's how you sound right now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or