U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM

886 posts, read 1,293,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Its all relative, a person living in Astoria, will more likely visit Central Park or go to Costco in Harlem more then go downtown. A person living on Long Island will more likely visit the Theater District or take in a game at MSG rather then go Downtown. A person in Great Neck is more likely gonna eat a good meal at le bernardin in Midtown then some place downtown. It doesn't mean they don't go downtown but the other parts of NYC are probably more likely visited among its own metro residents then downtown.

All I'm trying to say is that the Bridge and Tunnel crowd is going to stick to the more Touristy places like Times Square, Central Park, Rock Center, in the city and most likely not venture to unfamiliar places like downtown.
Then how is this the city of New York's fault if tourists refuse to step foot in SoHo, Tribeca, LES, or the Meatpacking district, which is one of the best spots for nightlife in the US and it's south of 14th and not in Midtown.

Sounds to me they're missing out by their own ignorance of Manhattan if they're spending day and night in TS or RC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,498,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
500k? I know you're exaggerating.

Sounds like a high curve. Last I saw DTLA employed just under 180k, so you're seriously telling me it has the power to draw 320k additional people apart from the 180k that work there? Sounds like a big exaggeration on your part, I would find 240k-320k total is more reasonable (similar to CC Philly and DTSF) more realistic. 500k in 5 sqmi is a density of 100k per sqmi and you're not anywhere close to Manhattan.
I'm not exaggerating.
http://www.downtownla.com/survey/201...Study-2011.pdf

But thanks for the very arrogant and condescending post.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM

630 posts, read 811,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Huh? No we don't? Most philly residents chill in downtown philly. You seriously don't know anything. Ill give you KOP but what do you expect it's the second biggest mall on America and the biggest on the east coast. Is it wrong if we chose KoP to hill at other than downtown. I haven't heard anyone say DT Philly isn't an option especially in the metro area. Also your from the bay. What do you know about Philly? Exactly, nothing. Your posts sound so unreal. It's like saying most SF residents go to its surrounding suburbs to go hang out and shop because DT SF isn't good for its residents. That's how you sound right now..
No, they don't! They hangout in S. Philly and South St. and different neighborhoods. Yeah, you do see some locals on Walnut St. but it's only because they live nearby.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 AM

2,944 posts, read 3,609,170 times
So many people here in Southern California gasp whenever I mention Downtown LA. The average person here knows little about the efforts to improve DTLA. Most continue viewing DTLA as a cesspool of crime, homeless, poor, and slums, thereby avoiding it like the plague and halting any progress for the area.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:42 AM

5,260 posts, read 12,583,307 times
That is truly not what I've experienced, especially over the past year or so. Many that i talk to know that dt is improving rapidly and many have visited who haven't in the past. Also surprisingly many that i work with in Century City live in dt LA.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,594,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
That is truly not what I've experienced, especially over the past year or so. Many that i talk to know that dt is improving rapidly and many have visited who haven't in the past. Also surprisingly many that i work with in Century City live in dt LA.
Agreed. It certainly still gets mixed reactions but nothing like what GatsbyGatz is saying. That poster has a some sort of vendetta against Southern California - 90% of his posts seem to be strongly criticizing Los Angeles or Southern California.

Good thing he is leaving the Inland Empire for the Pacific NW soon.

It is surprising how many people live in DTLA and commute out to other neighborhoods. It certainly happens quite a bit, and more every year.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 PM

12,999 posts, read 17,160,262 times
Every major city has a cluster of suburbs where some people like to brag about how seldom they go into the city for anything, and then pretend that the quality of life in their suburb would be as good as it is even if the central city didn't exist. They go by names like Apopka, Arvada, Auburn Hills, Beaverton, Carmel, Cary, Chesterfield, Chula Vista, Citrus Heights, Edmond, Fairfield, Fairport, Fremont, Gallatin, Henderson, Hoover, Jeffersontown, Kannapolis, Lansdale, Manassas, Marietta, Menomonee Falls, Minnetonka, Monroeville, Naperville, Needham, New Braunfels, Newburgh, North Tonawanda, Ontario, Orange Park, Overland Park, Pasadena, Pembroke Pines, Plano, Plant City, Redmond, Reynoldsburg, Round Rock, Scottsdale, Shaker Heights, Slidell, Southaven, Suffolk, The Woodlands, Towson, Tuckahoe, Vallejo, Warwick, West Hartford and West Valley City -- and none of them would amount to **** if they weren't located near major cities.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM

607 posts, read 1,039,055 times
In the DC metro we stay away from downtown. People on the MD side of DC usually only visit the NW portion of the city.
Happens a lot with Philly as well - people usually only visit South Philly.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 PM

11,556 posts, read 17,932,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Every major city has a cluster of suburbs where some people like to brag about how seldom they go into the city for anything, and then pretend that the quality of life in their suburb would be as good as it is even if the central city didn't exist. They go by names like Apopka, Arvada, Auburn Hills, Beaverton, Carmel, Cary, Chesterfield, Chula Vista, Citrus Heights, Edmond, Fairfield, Fairport, Fremont, Gallatin, Henderson, Hoover, Jeffersontown, Kannapolis, Lansdale, Manassas, Marietta, Menomonee Falls, Minnetonka, Monroeville, Naperville, Needham, New Braunfels, Newburgh, North Tonawanda, Ontario, Orange Park, Overland Park, Pasadena, Pembroke Pines, Plano, Plant City, Redmond, Reynoldsburg, Round Rock, Scottsdale, Shaker Heights, Slidell, Southaven, Suffolk, The Woodlands, Towson, Tuckahoe, Vallejo, Warwick, West Hartford and West Valley City -- and none of them would amount to **** if they weren't located near major cities.
It's also amazing to me how some people in these suburbs project their personal experiences onto their entire metro. "Nobody ever goes into downtown (insert your city's name here)" They don't have a clue what's actually going on because they never go.....therefore it never exists.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM

1,954 posts, read 2,636,790 times
They don't realize that suburbs are dependent on cities for wealth, population growth, jobs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or