U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,072,374 times

Advertisements

Among Cities with metros over Million what are some cities in which the residents in its own metro have no business or reason to go downtown. For example, no performing arts,no concerts dull nightlife and restaurant scene, no sporting events, no shopping, etc.

Some off the top of my head
San Jose
Phoenix
New York City - Downtown Specifically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM

2,300 posts, read 2,569,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Among Cities with metros over Million what are some cities in which the residents in its own metro have no business or reason to go downtown. For example, no performing arts,no concerts dull nightlife and restaurant scene, no sporting events, no shopping, etc.

San Jose
Phoenix
There is nothing to do in Midtown either. All the action is now in Jersey.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,083,573 times
Quote:

San Jose
Phoenix

Phoenix has sports events downtown both Chase Field and US Airways center are in downtown

Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM

6,617 posts, read 8,277,622 times
Quote:
You mean the financial district specifically and not downtown, to which I say no freakin' duhh. It's like that in every financial district across America.

The downtown itself as well as the surrounding neighborhoods (TriBeCa, Bowling Green, Battery Park City, Chinatown) would make you feel embarrassed for having it on here with the likes of San Jose-- the lines of downtown Manhattan being as blurred as they are. There are more vibrant areas of Manhattan sure, it's a neighborhood city but the downtown itself is no where close to the empty shell you're describing it to be.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Lots of downtowns have Performing Arts Centers, the best restaurants, arenas and such in its downtown, New York's defined downtown (Murray Street on down) really doesn't have a ton for its own residents to do. A resident from Jersey or Brooklyn is more likely to visit Midtown, Chelsea, Tribeca, Soho, etc

Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,537,247 times
I have to disagree about San Jose. I'm in Downtown San Jose every few months and usually see lots of people. There are lots of attractors--they built them up in the redevelopment era. There's the Tech Museum, a really good science museum, and the San Jose Museum of Art, a very interesting small arts museum. There is a performing arts center, there's the San Jose Repertory Theatre, some smaller theatres, and the San Jose opera. There are a couple of multiplex movies. The HP Pavilion, where the Sharks (hockey) play is on the edge of Downtown. The downtown park, which is the historic plaza laid out by the Spanish, often has events in it, including Christmas nativity displays. The Catholic cathedral is downtown.

There are some good restaurants in Downtown SJ, but restaurants are spread out around the city and the county. Clubs seem to be spread too, though there are definitely some downtown. There's not much retail, and there's not going to be when there are two large shopping malls about 3 miles away.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
New York's defined downtown (Murray Street on down) really doesn't have a ton for its own residents to do.
Frankly I've always gone off everything south of Houston onwards as "Downtown Manhattan" but apparently it's real definitions disagree with both you & I.
Quote:
Lower Manhattan or "downtown" is defined most commonly as the area delineated on the north by 14th Street, on the west by the Hudson River, on the east by the East River, and on the south by New York Harbor

Lower Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Keeping this in mind either 14th (which I think is a bit too generous or Houston (which feels about right)), you're point becomes largely invalid-- in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
I have to disagree about San Jose.
Ironic, I too remember Downtown San Jose and it being nothing special. My cousin works at Adobe in downtown and I've seen his campus and have spent several days going to work with him in which I've explored downtown. It's not bad but it's realistically nothing significant worth noting either-- in my opinion.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Frankly I've always gone off everything south of Houston onwards as "Downtown Manhattan" but apparently it's real definitions disagree with both you & I.

Keeping this in mind either 14th (which I think is a bit too generous or Houston (which feels about right)), you're point becomes largely invalid-- in my opinion.
Alliance for Downtown New York defines Downtown as South of Murray Street (essentially South of New York City Hall), which includes the World Trade Center area and the Financial District

Downtown is kind of subjective for New York.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,537,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Ironic, I too remember Downtown San Jose and it being nothing special. My cousin works at Adobe in downtown and I've seen his campus and have spent several days going to work with him in which I've explored downtown. It's not bad but it's realistically nothing significant worth noting either-- in my opinion.
I think you're not the only one who finds Downtown San Jose nondescript. It took some bad hits in the urban renewal days. But the question was whether regional residents use it, and I believe they do.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM

Blue line being 14th Street, how they "define" Lower Manhattan/Downtown Manhattan. Red line being Houston-- which has largely always been my perception of Downtown Manhattan's northernmost boundary.

The circle is where they declare "Lower Manhattan" on Google Maps. They wouldn't if it wasn't but they do because it is a component of it. The financial district is near the tip of the island, right before you get to Battery City Park. Anyhow, I agree with Google maps, south of Houston seems like legit boundaries for it to me without being to restrictive or too generous.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...p-image-63.bmp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
I think you're not the only one who finds Downtown San Jose nondescript. It took some bad hits in the urban renewal days. But the question was whether regional residents use it, and I believe they do.
Yes, Downtown San Jose has some amenities to offer-- many of which the OP listed it has.

Howeveer when you say "regional residents use it". Define regional? The people living near it then yeahh, the people living in the entirety of San Jose, then no. Nor the people in the San Jose/Santa Clara MSA or even the larger Bay Area CSA.

Last edited by JMT; 01-18-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or