Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should wear the crown
Baltimore 19 43.18%
San Francisco 25 56.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No, its not. Quite frankly. If people believed that to be the case then DC would be on SFs level when travel survey results were released.
Thats because San Francisco's main industry is tourism, period. DC is the nation's capital. Not even NYC has that title. San Francisco is just San Francisco. I love SF, being that it is my hometown. But to say DC is not a high class cosmopolitan city reeks of bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Let's see he praises white people and asians while putting down blacks who are supposedly loitering in Baltimore which might be true but Baltimore is a black city right? He even said that himself. What about the whites in SF who stand around. I guess it doesn't count because they're white? Yeah I get the picture. You should too. He's basically using supplemental messages in that entire second paragraph. The part about blacks being in the hood might be true but blacks standing around in Baltimore is loitering? Because they're black? But when an asian or a white is chilling, standing around its all good and normal. Oh well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Did you even read my last post? Why is everything a race issue with so many New Yorkers? The movie Do The Right Thing and every other Spike Lee production describes the way too many of you approach life. I'm a multiracial Bay Area native who doesn't give two craps about race, buddy. You couldn't fathom the way I grew up because I didn't grow up in a 100% Black neighborhood or a 100% Italian neighborhood like you have in NYC. Save your racist monologue for Spike Lee's next repetitive movie.

Also, if it eases your race obsessed mind any, most of the crazy/drug-addicted homeless people in SF are White and there countless Asian gang bangers there. Take a stroll through the Tenderloin for proof. The homeless population in Golden Gate park is the second largest White population in SF.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 01-21-2013 at 10:31 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Thats because San Francisco's main industry is tourism, period. DC is the nation's capital. Not even NYC has that title. San Francisco is just San Francisco. I love SF, being that it is my hometown. But to say DC is not a high class cosmopolitan city reeks of bias.
No one said that DC isnt cosmopolitan and 'high class', but you said that its on the same level as SF and that is laughable. SF is known around the world for its 'cosmopolitan' feel, DC isnt.

And SFs biggest industry is NOT tourism, its health care.
Hospitals new No. 1 industry in S.F., report shows - SFGate

Furthermore,
SFs upper crust is larger and wealthier than their DC equivalents:

Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 PM

432 posts, read 609,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Did you even read my last post? Why is everything a race issue with so many New Yorkers? The movie Do The Right Thing and every other Spike Lee production describes the way too many of you approach life. I'm a multiracial Bay Area native who doesn't give two craps about race, buddy. You couldn't fathom the way I grew up because I didn't grow up in a 100% Black neighborhood or a 100% Italian neighborhood like you have in NYC. Save your racist monologue for Spike Lee's next repetitive movie.

Also, if it eases your race obsessed mind any, most of the crazy/drug-addicted homeless people in SF are White and there countless Asian gang bangers there. Take a stroll through the Tenderloin for proof. The homeless population in Golden Gate park is the second largest White population in SF.
Ohh woah hoo that can all be true but then again the media portrays asians as nerdy whitewashed and soft and whites as rich therefor many people would assume SF is a nice city because it isn't as high in black population which isn't portrayed well in the media. A city with low blacks? Best city in the world!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
The east coast beats the west coast handily as a place to live in my opinion - more interesting cities and development. California's economy is lightweight compared to that of the east coast. The CSAs of only Washington, D.C. + New York City have a larger economy than the entire state of California. And this is achieved with 7 million less people. And this is not even counting all the other metro areas on the east coast that would be covered by an area the size of California.

However, Baltimore as a city has a lot of work and cleaning up to do. It's considered a red-headed step-child of the area. And this is well-known. The suburbs of Baltimore (particularly in Howard County), on the other hand, have much less crime and a lot more affluent areas. No problems there.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-22-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post

Charm City vs Fog City

Chesapeake Bay vs San Francisco Bay

Which city deserves to be crowned champions this year...which city will explode and be the livest should they win?

Which city is the hungriest?

which Bay has the best seafood etc...

go
Charm City vs Fog City - Baltimore. Charm City has a nicer ring.

Chesapeake Bay vs San Francisco Bay - SF

Which city deserves to be crowned champions this year...which city will explode and be the livest should they win? - I dont think "cities" deserve championships, however both clubs are deserving. I think Baltimore would explode and be more livelier with the win.

Which city is the hungriest? - Baltimore because its been a while since Ravens won the Superbowl, and since then there have been a decent playoff showings, and recent resurgence of Orioles. SF is having a good run (Giants), and future looks bright even with Warriors basketball.

which Bay has the best seafood etc... - If we're talking Seafood associated to each city (not Sushi, for example) then Baltimore. Blue crabs (whole of crab cake form) are heavenly.

Overall I'd live in SF

Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM

630 posts, read 994,236 times
No comparison! SF all the way.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Oh, and we dont normally refer to SF as 'fog city'----usually we just call SF "The City"

Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh, and we dont normally refer to SF as 'fog city'----usually we just call SF "The City"

And 99% of the rest of the US calls NYC that

Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
As far as cities go on this it is SF, to me one of the best cities in the US

I do have a soft spot for Baltimore and enjoy more than most cities in the US, just not SF

For the Super Bowl I am going with Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City