Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times

Advertisements

note - if you work online, then the need to hop on the G Train, and then change trains to get to Manhattan, is no biggie, which is probably one reason that part of Brooklyn is sometimes called 'laptopistan" http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/ny...anted=all&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

It's not very "gritty" at all. Are you so sensitive to the point where anything that's not Western Capitol Hill is considered "gritty?" And it's a few blocks from Times Square so how is not walkable? The building also has its own basketball court (where I hoop, btw) and grocery store.
If I were a resident, I'd find the area to the west of Midtown more walkable in the sense the local shops are more catered towards locals (supermarkets for one, as well as decent neighborhood restaurants). And less overwhelmed by tourists and office workers. 11th avenue isn't going to win any looks awards, but a block or two further east is rather nice looking.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
but thats not how COL is figured. "A is more expensive than X, but dude, its SO worth it" You compare apples to apples in terms of housing, and broadly, location. Those parts of brooklyn are lovely - but unless you have a job in Brooklyn, they are a lot less convenient. NoMa is walking distance to work for most who live there, as is Logan - which is why your initial comparison, Midtown, was correct.
Did you miss the part where I said the COL is higher in New York? A comparable unit is going to cost more in New York. I've already said that 4,000 times.

Quote:
but to establish that, you have to first get the cost difference right. The difference between far west midtown, on the one hand, and U Street or NoMa OTOH is not $2800 vs $2400. Its more like $3000 vs $2100. Whether its worth paying that to live in NYC, or worth moving to Brooklyn to live in NYC for less, is a matter of taste.
We already know the COL difference. The point I'm making is not that Midtown is so much better than DC that it's worth splurging on. My point was that NYC has so many transit-rich, walkable areas that you don't have to blow a ton of dough (relative to DC) to have an enjoyable living experience. You don't have to spend $3,000+ to live in Midtown. You could live in Brooklyn or Harlem and actually have better transit access, better food options, etc. than you could possibly get anywhere in the DC metro area. Whether the neighborhood is to your satisfaction or not is a different question, but the point remains that you can get the urban amenities people on this Board talk about incessantly without completely breaking the bank.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Did you miss the part where I said the COL is higher in New York? A comparable unit is going to cost more in New York. I've already said that 4,000 times.

yes you did. You said the difference is not a big deal, because its $2800 for a 1BR in Midtown and $2400 for a 1 BR in Logan. That was incorrect. Period. Whether the brooklyn or harlem lifestyle is better than the NoMa lifestyle, or the Old Town Alex lifestyle, or whatever is not relevant. How would we even be able to discuss those, if we couldn't be accurate about the actual rents in say, Fort Greene vs in Old Town? It helps discussions when we can admit we made a mistake. One thing both NYC and DC have in common is a lot of people who cannot so admit.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
yes you did. You said the difference is not a big deal, because its $2800 for a 1BR in Midtown and $2400 for a 1 BR in Logan. That was incorrect. Period. Whether the brooklyn or harlem lifestyle is better than the NoMa lifestyle, or the Old Town Alex lifestyle, or whatever is not relevant. How would we even be able to discuss those, if we couldn't be accurate about the actual rents in say, Fort Greene vs in Old Town? It helps discussions when we can admit we made a mistake. One thing both NYC and DC have in common is a lot of people who cannot so admit.
Quote:
I don't think there's any disputing that New York has a higher COL than DC.
Is there something I'm missing?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If I were a resident, I'd find the area to the west of Midtown more walkable in the sense the local shops are more catered towards locals (supermarkets for one, as well as decent neighborhood restaurants). And less overwhelmed by tourists and office workers. 11th avenue isn't going to win any looks awards, but a block or two further east is rather nice looking.

10th and 9th are a whole lot more pleasant for walking than 11th. I believe the RE market takes that into account. Since we are trying to do an apples to apples comp with places like Logan and NoMa, I think that matters. Some people would rather live on a traffic sewer thats 3 blocks from the center of the world. Some people would rather a more idyllic looking block, that has far fewer amenities (but is still in a vibrant urban place).

if you have no diminishing marginal return to incremental amenities on the one hand, and are less sensitive to certain aesthetic concerns on the other, than NYC is going to be heaven for you, esp Manhattan. If you don't have to commute to work, or you work in Brooklyn, or you enjoy the subway more than walking to work, than certain parts of N brooklyn will be preferred.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Is there something I'm missing?

this

"What's the difference between paying $2,400 for a one bedroom apartment in Logan Circle and $2,800 for a one bedroom apartment in Midtown Manhattan. Both cities are ridiculously expensive, imo, so I wouldn't call DC that much more "affordable" based on the 300 bucks or so you'll save on rent."

Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
this

"What's the difference between paying $2,400 for a one bedroom apartment in Logan Circle and $2,800 for a one bedroom apartment in Midtown Manhattan. Both cities are ridiculously expensive, imo, so I wouldn't call DC that much more "affordable" based on the 300 bucks or so you'll save on rent."
Okay?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Okay?
between midtown and logan you will save over 800 in rent. which is significant. 800 becomes 600 when we incorrectly claim a 1BR in Logan costs $2400. 600 becomes 400 when we incorrectly claim a 1BR in midtown costs $2800 (rents are up in midtown - but also in DC over three years). 400 becomes 300 when we lop off 100 for the hell of it.

But yeah, Brooklyn and harlem make NYC more affordable, for those for whom Bklyn and harlem work. Which clearly isnt everyone, given the premiums people pay to be in midtown.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
One thing is for sure, D.C. offers way more class A apartment buildings for average rent than NYC does. I think people in D.C. prefer a building with high amenities for affordable rent which you just don't get in NYC. Roof top pools and stainless steel is pretty much standard in buildings in D.C. these days. D.C. is at an advantage because of when it's revitalizing. There are just going to be way nicer places at cheaper rents to live in D.C. proper over the next 10 years than NYC. Class A units are standard in D.C. these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City