U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 PM
 
580 posts, read 1,247,498 times
Reputation: 150

Advertisements

I have found a Sr IT position with a major IT consulting company.

Me and my wife are planning to relocate to my client's (American Express) location

Client offices are located at Phonix area , Tampa bay area or Ft Lauderdale area


What would be a better city to relocate?

Phoenix Metro, AZ or Tampa bay, FL or Ft Lauderdale, FL

In regards to the following parameters in that order

a. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D) - Stability of the job situation in future
b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals including income, real estate, sales taxes and such
c. Nicer (Warm and Cozy) and Tolerable weather year round
d. Tolerable traffic during peak hours
e. Peaceful environment/ reasonably less crime rate
f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation

Do not have kids at this point. So do not need to worry about Kid's education at this point of time.

Please advice as I need to talk to my hiring manager ASAP

Appreciate your help in advance
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
 
2,565 posts, read 5,008,499 times
Reputation: 845
Ft Lauderdale area is much more liberal and diverse than Tampa. Its hard to say beyond that because its all subjective you haven't said anything about what you like or dislike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Arizona
3,647 posts, read 5,305,054 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I have found a Sr IT position with a major IT consulting company.

Me and my wife are planning to relocate to my client's (American Express) location

Client offices are located at Phonix area , Tampa bay area or Ft Lauderdale area


What would be a better city to relocate?

Phoenix Metro, AZ or Tampa bay, FL or Ft Lauderdale, FL

In regards to the following parameters in that order

a. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D) - Stability of the job situation in future
b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals including income, real estate, sales taxes and such
c. Nicer (Warm and Cozy) and Tolerable weather year round
d. Tolerable traffic during peak hours
e. Peaceful environment/ reasonably less crime rate
f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation

Do not have kids at this point. So do not need to worry about Kid's education at this point of time.

Please advice as I need to talk to my hiring manager ASAP

Appreciate your help in advance
Thanks!
Hmm, Phoenix is nice but the summers are brutal. However COL is probably cheapest in PHX. Tampa is nice but job economy sucks and crime is high. Not too sure about Ft.Lauderdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 3,842,323 times
Reputation: 2670
Phoenix wins on every point except tolerable weather. Crime, traffic, scenery, COL, access to recreation are all better in AZ in my opinion.
The hot season in Phoenix isn't understandable until you experience it, for, say a week. At the end of the week realize that that PHX 100+ weather usually goes on for 5-6 months every year. Most years it's hot from May till October. If that's new to you then you might go crazy with summer cabin fever. This is a place where summer is the time most stay inside all season and leave town frequently, become nocturnal, or (less likely but not impossible) embrace the heat and go out in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,543 posts, read 17,888,825 times
Reputation: 10686
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Phoenix wins on every point except tolerable weather. Crime, traffic, scenery, COL, access to recreation are all better in AZ in my opinion.
The hot season in Phoenix isn't understandable until you experience it, for, say a week. At the end of the week realize that that PHX 100+ weather usually goes on for 5-6 months every year. Most years it's hot from May till October. If that's new to you then you might go crazy with summer cabin fever. This is a place where summer is the time most stay inside all season and leave town frequently, become nocturnal, or (less likely but not impossible) embrace the heat and go out in it.
...unless of course one enjoys recreation on the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
 
117 posts, read 132,665 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...unless of course one enjoys recreation on the water.


Saugro lake, canyon lake, salt river tubing, Lake pleasent, Apache Lake, Bartlet lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 3,842,323 times
Reputation: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyspameamil View Post
Saugro lake, canyon lake, salt river tubing, Lake pleasent, Apache Lake, Bartlet lake.
That's true. Boating, fishing, tubing, swimming are readily available all around PHX.

Of course Florida more so, not disputing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL
2,144 posts, read 4,226,529 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I have found a Sr IT position with a major IT consulting company.

Me and my wife are planning to relocate to my client's (American Express) location

Client offices are located at Phonix area , Tampa bay area or Ft Lauderdale area


What would be a better city to relocate?

Phoenix Metro, AZ or Tampa bay, FL or Ft Lauderdale, FL

In regards to the following parameters in that order

a. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D) - Stability of the job situation in future
b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals including income, real estate, sales taxes and such
c. Nicer (Warm and Cozy) and Tolerable weather year round
d. Tolerable traffic during peak hours
e. Peaceful environment/ reasonably less crime rate
f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation

Do not have kids at this point. So do not need to worry about Kid's education at this point of time.

Please advice as I need to talk to my hiring manager ASAP

Appreciate your help in advance
Thanks!
I can't really speak to Phoenix. In terms of Tampa vs Ft. Lauderdale you mentioned access to scenic beauty and recreation. There isn't much in South Florida beyond the beach. In Tampa there are far more options within a short drive. Not only do you have beaches nearby (better beaches IMO), but you can drive to natural springs for canoeing and there are nature trails all over Central Florida to explore. Traffic is pretty similar between the two, perhaps a bit worse overall in South Florida. Crime rate is also probably about the same. If you were single and looking for a more urban environment I would recommend Ft. Lauderdale, however married and looking for a more laid back place I would say Tampa. You still have plenty of options for nightlife when you want to find it between Tampa and St. Pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,303 posts, read 7,637,472 times
Reputation: 2136
I'd choose Ft. Lauderdale, then Tampa. Beautiful beaches and good weather. Phoenix's weather is so harsh, and chilly in wintertime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top