Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM

640 posts, read 1,219,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
This isn't really a good way to compare because of the county sizes. Fulton County has a population of less than a million, whereas Dallas County has 2.4 million and Harris County has 4.2 million. The progressive vote gets diluted as you start incorporating the suburban population, which is precisely why it would appear Atlanta is by far the most liberal while Houston is the least by your methodology. Even counting Atlanta's suburb counties wouldn't paint an accurate picture with Harris County still being larger than Atlanta's 5 core counties. Another possible way to measure is how many Democratic congressmen represent your metro area. The Atlanta and Houston metro has 3 while I think DFW has 2 Democratic representatives. However, this is also likely not an accurate way to measure because of the gerrymandering process.

With all that said, I still think the Atlanta metro edges out the Texas metros as the most liberal. I think Houston is probably the most economically/fiscally conservative given the nature of our largest industry and a lack of zoning in the city proper. Socially, I have no idea which comes out ahead, but I can tell you Houston is definitely not as socially conservative as most people think it is.

Size of counties has nothing to do with it. It's the percentages. For example, NOLA voted 80% democrat this past election. It is also a VERY liberal city proper. I don't think you could argue that Houston is more liberal because it has more people that voted democrat...

Do you think anecdotes of people's perceptions of how quirky or gay a community is is a better way to find this. How people vote is really the only measure of this at all. Regardless of personal anecdotes about how you know x amount of liberal "neighborhoods"

Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 PM

12,732 posts, read 21,622,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because you thought Nigerians=Africans. That's not the case. DC has a far larger African population. Thousands of Ghanians and Ethiopians are in the DC area.
Nope.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No one said anything about Houston or Dallas being more liberal than Atlanta. Most of us have agreed that the three cities are more or less equal, in this regard.

Just because you weren't impressed with those neighborhoods doesn't make them any less valid. There's numerous factors at play here. You can bring up "Church", and I can bring up the fact that Houston is the largest city in American history to have an openly gay mayor. Someone else can bring up the fact that Dallas is believed to have the largest LGBT church in the nation.
Atlanta has had a Domestic Partnership resolution for workers and residents since 1995.It also has had a openly gay city council president since 1997.Houston and Dallas:I dont think either of them goes as far r even has one.If so it has to have been in the last year.

People also dont know about how Atlanta's Minority Development programs for women and people of color became the model that MANY cities adopted,

Quote:
In terms of black business development, Jackson not only opened doors for African American entrepreneurs in Atlanta, but others nationally. “He got the attention of black mayors, and some white mayors, in other major cities like Detroit, Los Angeles, Boston, and Chicago,” Russell adds. “He helped put us on another plateau in terms of our dollar volume, the larger jobs, and getting joint ventures with major contractors that would not look at us before. He opened the doors where we otherwise would have been shut out.
Maynard Jackson: The Ultimate Champion for Black Business - Black Enterprise

Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta has had a Domestic Partnership resolution for workers and residents since 1995.It also has had a openly gay city council president since 1997.Houston and Dallas:I dont think either of them goes as far r even has one.If so it has to have been in the last year.

People also dont know about how Atlanta's Minority Development programs for women and people of color became the model that MANY cities adopted,

The city of Dallas has offered domestic partner benefits since 2003. Dallas County just began offering them last year. Fort Worth has also offered domestic partner benefits since the end of last decade. The city of Houston nor Harris County offer them which puzzles me. The city has a gay mayor and she can't even get domestic partner benefits.

As I mention Houston has a gay mayor, Dallas has a four time re-elected gay sheriff, and both have had more than one gay councilmen.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 AM

200 posts, read 292,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Size of counties has nothing to do with it. It's the percentages. For example, NOLA voted 80% democrat this past election. It is also a VERY liberal city proper. I don't think you could argue that Houston is more liberal because it has more people that voted democrat...

Do you think anecdotes of people's perceptions of how quirky or gay a community is is a better way to find this. How people vote is really the only measure of this at all. Regardless of personal anecdotes about how you know x amount of liberal "neighborhoods"
I'm not arguing that Houston is the most liberal because its county had the most total Democratic votes. I'm saying if Harris County was carved up into 4 or 5 counties (800,000 to 1 million each), I can probably guarantee you that 2 of those counties are solidly blue (like Fulton or Travis County), with one toss-up county and a couple solid red counties that serve the outlying suburbs of Houston. Most areas of Houston city proper consistently vote Democrat with the exception of the West side. I'm sure the same would apply to Dallas County and areas of Tarrant County.

As I said in my previous post, I think Atlanta is the most liberal out of the three (not a big margin though). But classifying the metros by looking at the winning margins without taking into account the size of the counties is a bit oversimplified imo.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:

Good for Atlanta.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The city of Dallas has offered domestic partner benefits since 2003. Dallas County just began offering them last year. Fort Worth has also offered domestic partner benefits since the end of last decade. The city of Houston nor Harris County offer them which puzzles me. The city has a gay mayor and she can't even get domestic partner benefits.

As I mention Houston has a gay mayor, Dallas has a four time re-elected gay sheriff, and both have had more than one gay councilmen.
I mentioned one because she was not only a council woman but ;later elected President.There is currently an Asian Gay male as well.Various different positions in city government as well.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
These three are pretty much very similar. Fairly liberal cires with more conservative burbs. 610 Goodson is just as liberal as anything you can find in the South, while the far flung burbs are just as conservative as any you would likely find in atl or dfw

Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I mentioned one because she was not only a council woman but ;later elected President.There is currently an Asian Gay male as well.Various different positions in city government as well.
Ok, I'm not denying Atlanta its due. You said that you didnt think Dallas or Houston had domestic partnership programs. I just wanted to point out otherwise.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
These three are pretty much very similar. Fairly liberal cires with more conservative burbs.
And this is the correct answer.

I don't know why it's hard for people to believe that they are simply very similar in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City