Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
There are more out than closeted . Try being a black gay man in Dallas see how far u get .. There steady running to Houston for a alternative. Atlanta was just the poster child for DL behavior because of the large Black gay community, even though there are probably as many white men on the DL as blacks ..in every major metro
You know every homosexual in Atlanta?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
There are more out than closeted . Try being a black gay man in Dallas see how far u get .. There steady running to Houston for a alternative. Atlanta was just the poster child for DL behavior because of the large Black gay community, even though there are probably as many white men on the DL as blacks ..in every major metro
I don't think you have a basis for saying this. With a black population near one million, I'm sure there are thousands of gay black men living happily in the area.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta

Welcome to Flickr!

Houston

Slicing the Pie: A Map of Houston by Race » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

...as I've always said, Houston has never had that phenomenon of "black/white sides of town" like Atlanta and (to a lesser extent) Dallas do.

Income segregation is moot, because I'm clearly talking about race/ethnicity.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Don't be petty. Puting a gay mayor in office clearly shows that Houstonians are open-minded

As it has already been brought up, the official limits of both the COH and Harris County are huge, and contain several conservative areas. What should be focused on is the core of each city. If the COH were as tiny as Atlanta proper, who knows how far ahead we would be, on paper.

Either way, the issue of domestic partner benefits is just one piece of the pie, so I don't know why you keep bringing it up, as if it's the determining factor.
That was not my point.Obviously they are open minded.
The fact that YOU think ONE gay person of a minority group being elected and yet thousand of gay people in Houston cannot use their partners benefits because the city lacks that is mind boggling.You really think its the same?Or better?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Atlanta

Welcome to Flickr!

Houston

Slicing the Pie: A Map of Houston by Race » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

...as I've always said, Houston has never had that phenomenon of "black/white sides of town" like Atlanta and (to a lesser extent) Dallas do.

Income segregation is moot, because I'm clearly talking about race/ethnicity.
Did you read that he used data from 2000 census?Atlanta was 62%black back then Its now 54%black.
The black population in Atlanta is older and MUCH larger in Atlanta.
HOUSTON has less integration because of it HISPANIC population.Did you read or look at the maps?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
That was not my point.Obviously they are open minded.
The fact that YOU think ONE gay person of a minority group being elected and yet thousand of gay people in Houston cannot use their partners benefits because the city lacks that is mind boggling.You really think its the same?Or better?
I think exactly what I've said all throughout this thread.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Did you read that he used data from 2000 census?Atlanta was 62%black back then Its now 54%black.
The black population in Atlanta is older and MUCH larger in Atlanta.
HOUSTON has less integration because of it HISPANIC population.Did you read or look at the maps?
Of course I did, and I'm not getting your point. If anything much has changed, Houston has only become more integrated, while Atlanta's black and white communities are still polarized.

Atlanta's black population is larger, but isn't really older. Houston's black population goes back to slavery. Around Civil War times, almost half of the entire city population was slaves.

Last edited by Nairobi; 02-07-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I just don't see this race, sexual orientation viewpoint the Atlanta posters are trying to push. Conservative doesn't exactly mean racist bigot and liberal doesn't mean non-racist non-bigoted. People vote democratic and vote republican for many different reasons. If we are going to talk about race here, then showing some stats of a mostly african american areas voting for an african american president doesn't really prove anything.

I don't think Dallas is more liberal than Houston or Atlanta. I don't think any of them seem more liberal than Dallas. They all really are very similar. I feel like the viewpoint coming from Atlanta is grasping at straws to come out ahead of a race that isn't intended to be won.

As for the gay/straight thing. I know in Dallas people don't care what race or sexual orientation someone is when running for office, the better candidate is what's important. If there isn't a black mayor or a gay mayor that's because they weren't the best choice. Dallas' current mayor is a white heterosexual democrat who is very engaging with all parts of Dallas. gay, black, hispanic, straight, etc.
Yes Yes....Kum ba ya and all that/Look. Youi are smart enough to understand the voting patterns of certain groups:
Republicans and their supporters:
-NRA
-Religious groups like Focus on the Family,700 Club etc
-less than 15% are minorities
-military/defense contractors
Democrats and their supporters:
-Most minoritiy groups (Blacks more than 90%)
-Gay groups
-Pro Abortion groups
-Environmental grops
-Big City governments

Knowing all this I cannot how looking at the main support groups of each and see that clearly "liberals"
MOST of the time by far so not vote REPUBLICAN.

Yes.Not all Democrats are liberal.MANY are when it comes to big cities.I mean JERRY SPRINGER was mayor of Cincinnati!!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Of course I did, and I'm not getting your point. If anything much has changed, Houston has only become more integrated, while Atlanta's black and white communities are more polarized.

Atlanta's black population is larger, but isn't really older. Houston's black population goes back to slavery. Around Civil War times, almost half of the entire city population was slaves.
I have already showed you proof that what you say is inaccurate.You replied by posting a map using data from the 2000 Census while the one I provided for was using data from 2010 Census.Either you dont want to understand or you just dont care.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You know every homosexual in Atlanta?
Yep I sure do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City