Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,337,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
NYC have separate boroughs. Philadelphia has "sections" that are unofficial. How is the former not more autonomous than the latter? That was part of the agreement for consolidation, that they would retain some autonomy. I never said that they were autonomous, merely more autonomous than the sections of Philadelphia.
Well you said much more autonomous. The boroughs don't really have many in the way of political power:

Since the abolition of the board of estimate in 1990 (due to a 1989 ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court), the borough president now has minimal executive powers, and there is no legislative function within a borough. Executive functions in New York City are the responsibility of the mayor, legislative functions are reside with the New York City Council.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough_(New_York_City)

at this point, the recent argument is hijacking the thread a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,927,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yeahhh that is the source I used for 1850-1950. After that I used Wikipedia to add up counties in the presumed top 10 metropolitans for 1960, they were all close to the numbers for this source that you have so I left them be. The thing with the source you have is that in present days it started to not look like present day metropolitans, so for modern day 1970-2010, I ruled it out as an option.

For present day, I used bizjournal's on source.

For 1970-2010, I used a source that accounts for the same land boundaries present day metropolitans have and it applied them to all decades as far back as 1970. The only thing off on this source is the immigration numbers (by a good bit) and their domestic migration numbers are inflated (by the margin immigration is deflated) while immigration is deflated. Otherwise it's a very reliable source. Especially when it correlates to annual population gains, they got their information straight from the US Census Bureau.

Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home

Last edited by JMT; 02-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Let's not discuss "mega cities" in this thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 PM

735 posts, read 1,126,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well you said much more autonomous.
.... Because they are. Philadelphia's sections don't even officially exist! They have NO borough leader. They have NO political power whatsoever.

And who started this argument exactly? I believe it was you. Don't even remotely try to pin this one on me. You responded to my post, not the other way around.

Last edited by JMT; 02-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Let's not discuss "mega cities" in this thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 PM

725 posts, read 1,207,924 times
Y'all really are gonna sit here and say Los Angeles urbanity is greater then Philly? Philly DOES feel more urban at the core, tho it may not be. It does... We know stats. But SF, Philly, and Boston "feels" more urban at the core...

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM

735 posts, read 1,126,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Y'all really are gonna sit here and say Los Angeles urbanity is greater then Philly? Philly DOES feel more urban at the core, tho it may not be. It does... We know stats. But SF, Philly, and Boston "feels" more urban at the core...
Philadelphia is more urban in really every part, trust me. It "feels" that way for a reason.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 PM

607 posts, read 1,369,200 times
I find it interesting how DC slowly replaced Baltimore and how LA slowly replaced San Francisco.
And, of course, no surprise with NYC.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,927,873 times
I live in the Washington DC area and for me I don't take it as an insult on my pride or a slight on my city by saying Los Angeles is denser, larger, and more urban than my city.

This inferiority complex on this forum gets uglier by the day. Learn to give other places the props they deserve.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,917,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
LA grew by annexing land. New York, Philadelphia, and every other actual urban city grew by first consolidation/annexation and then by building up their much smaller geographical area.
Okay, this is metro areas not city limits...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,492,403 times
That historical data shows the gradual migration from east to west, from rustbelt to sunbelt.

In a few decades the top 10 most populated metropolitan areas will be majority sunbelt and-or west of the Mississippi River.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM

654 posts, read 1,906,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I live in the Washington DC area and for me I don't take it as an insult on my pride or a slight on my city by saying Los Angeles is denser, larger, and more urban than my city.

This inferiority complex on this forum gets uglier by the day. Learn to give other places the props they deserve.
This! It amazes me what people will argue on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City